home subscribe
Backstage.com    Message Board Homepage  Hop To Forum Categories  The Craft  Hop To Forums  Dance and Movement    Would dancing help my acting skill's?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Would dancing help my acting skill's? Login/Join

Sean Penn
Picture of Natural-Gift
posted
I am a 6'3 muscle bound newbie actor but i feel like im stiff when acting sometime's would dance classes help me loosen up and gain confidence with my posture? and what sort of dance would be good for me? if any at all thanks

Posts: 12 | Location: Sydney ,New South Wales | Registered: March 28, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Robert DeNiro
posted Hide Post
If you're just looking to loosen up and gain confidence with your body and posture, I wonder if yoga might be a better choice? That's all about stretching, loosening up, listening to your body and being in tune with it, balance and coordination, etc.

For dance, ballet is the foundation for everything, so that would be a good choice.

Posts: 484 | Location: New York | Registered: December 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Denzel Washington
posted Hide Post
Ballet, contemporary and jazz are very beneficial. Hiphop can be good, too, as long as you find someone who truly teaches fundamentals. Also look into yoga, t'ai chi ch'uan and gymnastics.

I saw your pics on another thread and something else that would be very valuable to someone in your type range is combat certifications. The more weapons the better. Maybe check with someone at NIDA to cue you in to where to get that training if they don't teach workshops themselves.

Posts: 70 | Location: La La Land | Registered: March 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sean Penn
Picture of Natural-Gift
posted Hide Post
Thankyou for the advice TMR and Fishgurl i appreciate it. I think i might call NIDA thank's.

Posts: 12 | Location: Sydney ,New South Wales | Registered: March 28, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Russell Crowe
posted Hide Post
Alexander work is also very very good for actors, as it helps to undo tension and lets us notice how we use our bodies.

Posts: 37 | Location: New York | Registered: April 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Kevin Bacon
posted Hide Post
Yoga has changed my life. I go 5 times a week and it's loosened up my acting and gotten me more in my body. It takes time, but it really gets you grounded and connected. When I lose sight of myself in an audition I breath and feel the ground under my feet.

Posts: 34 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: December 03, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm a movement teacher and director and I have to say, with the right intention and teaching methodologies, any movement practice you take on can help your acting.

When you're looking for classes be sure to find a place that connects the mind to the body and really feeds your ability to connect to concentration and imagination with both the mind and the body. Yoga is great for your body and your spirituality, but for it to be beneficial to the actor it has to be taught with that purpose in mind.

I teach a yoga for actors and some movement for actors workshops in the city, take a look and see if you think any of it might be helpful for you!

The Lab New York
http://www.thelabny.com/movement-for-performers/

Posts: 7 | Location: New York, NY | Registered: March 16, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post