home subscribe
Backstage.com    Message Board Homepage  Hop To Forum Categories  The Craft  Hop To Forums  Dance and Movement    Musical Theater dance. Help!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Musical Theater dance. Help! Login/Join

posted
For the longest time I have been wanting to major in musical theater. I have had tons of experience in both voice and drama. My problem is that I have never taken a dance class in my life. I have the chance to learn basic dance fundamentals whenever I do a show, but for the most part I have no dance experience. I am planning on taking ballet, jazz, and tap classes very soon. If I start now I will have had two years of experience before college auditions. Would I still have a chance of getting into a good school? Any advice?

Posts: 2 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: March 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
I think you'll definitely have a shot if you spend 2 years doing serious dance training. Ballet, Jazz, and Tap are great for musical theater! And some dance schools also offer classes specifically in Musical Theater Dance or Broadway Jazz or Broadway Choreography.

If you ever find yourself taking a vacation in NYC, I highly, highly recommend you check out Broadway Dance Center and take some of the adult open classes. They have some of the best faculty including former Broadway dancers, and people come from all over the world to train there.

I also think that if you're a great singer, you won't be expected to be an exceptional dancer when it comes to musical theater. Best of luck!!

Posts: 120 | Location: New York | Registered: August 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post