home subscribe
Backstage.com    Message Board Homepage  Hop To Forum Categories  Moderated Forums  Hop To Forums  Acting Outside Hollywood    Very Skeptical About this "Agency"
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Very Skeptical About this "Agency" Login/Join

posted
Okay, so I dropped by to meet with "Mystique Model And Talent Management," and I'm really quite unsure if they are legitimate.

Here is the face book page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/...MENT/128510060500474

I found them while researching if there were any agencies in my area (NH) at all, because I didn't think there were. They claim they have cast many Hollywood films in the New England area. I didn't find any complaints with the BBB at all, but I did come across a red flag right away. In the contract they were asking for about $200 up front. From what I've researched, any "agency" that asks for up front is not legit at all, and to stay away from them.

So I left today without signing any paper work at all.

Another Page: http://newenglandfilm.com/node/19464

BBB: http://www.bbb.org/concord/bus...n-nashua-nh-92011196

Thanks for reading,

Austin

Posts: 3 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: December 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Robert DeNiro
posted Hide Post
Yep, NEVER sign with an agency that asks YOU to pay THEM. That's not how legitimate agencies work.

Posts: 475 | Location: New York | Registered: December 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, as soon as I read it I thought to myself, "uhhhh I don't think so" Another thing that I thought was very odd was that they had a line for "SSN" on the contract. The woman said that they would need it for later..something something."

I've honestly never seen an agency contract, So I don't know if that's normal at all, but it seemed really peculiar. Why would they need that? It it just like all the paper work you fill out for a new job sorta thing?

Thanks for helping me out!

Posts: 3 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: December 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Robert DeNiro
posted Hide Post
If you're signing a contract with the agency, then yes, they do need your Social Security number because payments often go through the agent first, so they need to document it.

Posts: 475 | Location: New York | Registered: December 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
also, i was advised once to check with the local SAG office for a list of legit agencies in the area. I consider it too risky to deal with an agency not on that list, and i imagine this place is not on that list.

Posts: 6 | Location: Cedar Hill, TX | Registered: June 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
I see you are in New Hampshire. The Wes Anderson film filmed there last year. Can you figure out who was cast locally and which agencies they were with. That would be a very good lead to legitimate local agencies.

Posts: 75 | Location: Virgin Islands | Registered: July 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
Check out www.IMBb.com to see if an agency is listed. You can get a list of the agency clients there too.

Either way, you were right to walk away NO legit agency will ask for $$ up front. You get a job, they get commission (usually 10%) that's how it works.

Just another quick note, if you go to an agent and they want you to take new head-shots and want you to use a specific photographer...walk away from that too. It's a kick-back scheme.

Take care,
Hope

Posts: 5 | Location: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: March 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
ply

so Austin and others in this post, as the owner of Mystique Model and Talent Management yes Austin is right in 24 years I have not had a complaint on BBB and I am not a scam! If you are breaking into the business as a model you will be required to get a portfolio and I don't make you go through one of my photographers I simply give you the option. It is stated right in the contract! Also if you are breaking into modeling or acting you need professional headshots or portfolios and your agent is NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR THEM YOU ARE! If an agent is asking for money upfront as a casting agent THEN YES THAT WOULD PUT A RED FLAG! But as a model and talent agent we are not responsible for paying for models and talent headshots and portfolios you are! Even Cindy Crawford hawked her car to pay for her portfolio years ago! TRUE STORY! I won't allow someone to bash my company or any other agent because they feel that they heard "if someone ask for money upfront then its a scam!" Casting agencies get paid by production companies/tv stations to cast certain roles for the project. Years ago the casting agency would go to model/talent agencies such as us and say I need such and such and we would send our talent over. well times have changed and casting agencies act like model/talent agencies they say they have no upfront fees etc blah blah blah but however they get paid to cast the project, they reel you in and charge you for classes and they say free registration but if you want to be in the elite section you have to pay this. WELL IS THAT REALLY FREE? IS THAT REALLY ANY BETTER? NO ALL THAT HAS PROVED IS THAT THEY AREN'T CHARGING FOR PICS OR SOMETHING BUT THEY ARE CHARGING TO BE IN THE BETTER SECTION OF SITE AND THEY ARE CHARGING FOR CLASSES ETC! ITS ALL JUST THE SAME JUST PUT IN DIFFERENT TERMS!

SO TO END THIS I AM NOT SCAM AUSTIN I AM JUST DOING THE BUSINESS IN THE RIGHT WAY PROVIDING YOU WITH OPTIONS TO GET YOUR PORTFOLIO AS A MODEL OR HEADSHOTS AS AN ACTOR AND ZED/COMP CARDS IN THAT PRICE! IF YOU ARE GOING TO STOMP ON AN AGENCY PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU DO GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT! AND JUST FOR THE RECORD I HAVE PLACED MANY TALENT IN MANY BIG FILMS JUST LAST YEAR GROWN UPS 2, HEAT, WAY WAY BACK, THATS MY BOY, SURPRISE SURPRISE, LONESOME THOUGHTS AND MANY MORE JUST LAST YEAR! I don't have to prove myself to you or anyone else my resume as I know what I have done however as a talent YOU DO HAVE TO PROVE YOUR RESUME AND WHAT YOU HAVE DONE!

Posts: 1 | Location: www.mystiquemodelandtalentmanagement | Registered: March 15, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Robert DeNiro
posted Hide Post
Mystique, just a tip: your rambling post is virtually incoherent. It's very hard to understand what you're saying. All I can make out is the idea that models need a portfolio - but that doesn't answer the question of whether you're charging your clients upfront money. And the constant "all-caps shouting" makes you come across as immature. It does not make your company look professional at all.

So just answer this question simply: Do you charge your clients $200 upfront? Yes or no?

posted Hide Post
Alright, I figured this would eventually be responded to by the agency in question. Yes, I understand that Mystique has a resume and years of service in casting. I did not intend to publicly bash the company; As I remember, I was simply curious about upfront payments and wanted to investigate the matter further.

I'm sorry for initiating that type of response, but it's the norm in a paranoid person's life to question everything.

Robert DeNiro
posted Hide Post
Austin, if the agency asked you for money upfront, you were right to walk away. And Mytique's incoherent, rambling email full of CAPSOCK-OF-RAGE! frankly indicates a very unprofessional company that's impossible to take seriously.

posted Hide Post
Any money up front is a scam. I'm actually shocked this still goes on because it seems as though actors are more aware thanks to BSW

Keep it moving peopleSmiler

Posts: 1 | Location: Studio City | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Morgan Freeman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MystiqueTalent:
quote:
ply

so Austin and others in this post, as the owner of Mystique Model and Talent Management yes Austin is right in 24 years I have not had a complaint on BBB and I am not a scam! If you are breaking into the business as a model you will be required to get a portfolio and I don't make you go through one of my photographers I simply give you the option. It is stated right in the contract! Also if you are breaking into modeling or acting you need professional headshots or portfolios and your agent is NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR THEM YOU ARE! If an agent is asking for money upfront as a casting agent THEN YES THAT WOULD PUT A RED FLAG! But as a model and talent agent we are not responsible for paying for models and talent headshots and portfolios you are! Even Cindy Crawford hawked her car to pay for her portfolio years ago! TRUE STORY! I won't allow someone to bash my company or any other agent because they feel that they heard "if someone ask for money upfront then its a scam!" Casting agencies get paid by production companies/tv stations to cast certain roles for the project. Years ago the casting agency would go to model/talent agencies such as us and say I need such and such and we would send our talent over. well times have changed and casting agencies act like model/talent agencies they say they have no upfront fees etc blah blah blah but however they get paid to cast the project, they reel you in and charge you for classes and they say free registration but if you want to be in the elite section you have to pay this. WELL IS THAT REALLY FREE? IS THAT REALLY ANY BETTER? NO ALL THAT HAS PROVED IS THAT THEY AREN'T CHARGING FOR PICS OR SOMETHING BUT THEY ARE CHARGING TO BE IN THE BETTER SECTION OF SITE AND THEY ARE CHARGING FOR CLASSES ETC! ITS ALL JUST THE SAME JUST PUT IN DIFFERENT TERMS!

SO TO END THIS I AM NOT SCAM AUSTIN I AM JUST DOING THE BUSINESS IN THE RIGHT WAY PROVIDING YOU WITH OPTIONS TO GET YOUR PORTFOLIO AS A MODEL OR HEADSHOTS AS AN ACTOR AND ZED/COMP CARDS IN THAT PRICE! IF YOU ARE GOING TO STOMP ON AN AGENCY PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU DO GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT! AND JUST FOR THE RECORD I HAVE PLACED MANY TALENT IN MANY BIG FILMS JUST LAST YEAR GROWN UPS 2, HEAT, WAY WAY BACK, THATS MY BOY, SURPRISE SURPRISE, LONESOME THOUGHTS AND MANY MORE JUST LAST YEAR! I don't have to prove myself to you or anyone else my resume as I know what I have done however as a talent YOU DO HAVE TO PROVE YOUR RESUME AND WHAT YOU HAVE DONE!

ROFL Lord have mercy Jesus..I can't even..

Posts: 91 | Location: NY | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't trust them. Remember, having an agent is different then having a good agent. Many places just want to put you on their roster and shelf you Frowner

Callie Harlan
Adorable feistiness mixed with a defiant dark-side

http://www.youtube.com/user/CallieNYC
www.CallieHarlan.com

Posts: 12 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: January 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Eeee I don't think I gave my agent my SSN, I'd be weary of doing that with anyone. Even if I didnt think they would steal it, I'd be careful and go with last four digits until pay time.

Posts: 5 | Location: California | Registered: April 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post