Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chicago Login/Join

Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
So, what are the recommend acting classes in Chicago? I can't decide between professional program at Green Room or Black Box as it was mentioned on here..I think I'm 100& set on receiving on-camera training at Green Room and 100% set on working my way towards the Conservatory program at Second City..Does one even need all these classes? Should I limit myself to one or maybe two schools?

Posts: 94 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: March 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Kevin Bacon
posted Hide Post
Black Box opens up interviews a few weeks before each new session of classes starts. The slots fill up quickly but you can sign up for a notification email from them that is sent to you when interview appointments open up again. I had mine a week ago and it really offered a fantastic opportunity to learn more about their program. They construct each group class based on the interviews instead of letting people sign up for each session on a first-come-first-served basis. It's pretty interesting. They also set aside time to tell you all about their approach and method. It is definitely a program that I am extremely excited to start. It probably isn't the type of training that *everyone* would enjoy though. So overall, it wouldn't hurt to set up an interview just to see if there is any compatibility there.

Posts: 9 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: June 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
So what are the actual daily routines of my fellow Chicago actors? I'm actually a bit outside of the city so I'm not pounding pavement every day doing auditions (is it even possible to audition every day with our workload? i bet it is) so I feel like I'm not working hard on enough.

Right now my daily routine:

Wake up and surf my casting websites: Actors Access, Nowcasting, Craigslist.

Check email/Respond to casting notices.

Check over website/update if necessary.

Hit the gym, keep my body in shape.

Network on facebook with actors/directors I've worked with.

And then go through exercises from the books I've been reading through. And then hope for a call at some point.

Day Job.

Feel like I can be doing so much more. I really just started this year. I've taken some classes, gotten pro headshots, got a website running, and I've booked in quite a few projects but I just don't think I'm doing enough to make any leap. I don't have enough good footage yet for a reel so I feel self conscious about submitting to an agency yet.

--
"You must be the change you wish to see in the world."

Posts: 29 | Location: Illinois | Registered: March 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
As a Chicago actor, I just try to do as much as I can do, no more no less. If I knew more, I would..After reading some articles on how we as actors should progress our own career..I'm thinking of trying to start "something" on my own..What, I don't know.

I suggest you should work on an awesome cover letter, and send them out to the smaller agencies..there should be a lot of work in Chicago this fall..get to it man!

Posts: 94 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: March 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by EGarcia05:
As a Chicago actor, I just try to do as much as I can do, no more no less. If I knew more, I would..After reading some articles on how we as actors should progress our own career..I'm thinking of trying to start "something" on my own..What, I don't know.

I suggest you should work on an awesome cover letter, and send them out to the smaller agencies..there should be a lot of work in Chicago this fall..get to it man!

Thanks man and you too! That's definitely my next step! Any recommendations on agencies to submit to? I've seen all of the big ones but realistically I don't think it's the right time for me to submit to them. I'm signed on to a lot of projects but I want have footage for my reel from them for awhile yet, so I feel like that'd be the wrong move. Disagree?

--
"You must be the change you wish to see in the world."

Posts: 29 | Location: Illinois | Registered: March 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
Regarding Chicago, I don't know how important a reel is, I don't think so. With work coming to Chicago, I say look for an agency ASAP while putting together a reel.

Look into the smaller agencies, I recently (LAST WEEK) got signed after interviewing with agencies all year. I interviewed with one of the best agencies in Chicago, the agency I dreamed of being with, and I bombed..But I didn't let it stop me...I still think about it, but there is nothing I can do. I still feel I need more training and maybe more on my resume for them.

You know what..I say submit to five agencies at a time every 4-5 weeks till you hit every agency. If nothing, maybe rework your cover letter and try again..that's how I got with the agency I am now..I think they are a mid-level agency.

posted Hide Post
anyone of you guys taken a monologue class in the city? any recommendations? im thinking about green room.

i dont plan on submitting to agencies any time soon. im going to train all year, build a resume then go after the big cats probably spring of next yr Frowner

good luck to yall tho

Posts: 7 | Location: Chicago | Registered: January 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
I'm biased because I've trained with Steven Ivcich, but I think he's just great. If you want a taste of his monologue workshop, check his blog, An Actor's Process. He shows clips of working with one actor on her monologue over a period of time along with his notes and direction. He also has basically a mini book on that blog on how to craft a monologue. Super useful!

Posts: 93 | Location: Chicago | Registered: January 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
I'm about to start the Green Room On-Camera program and will do the monologue class when I finish..

Question, I myself don't even know the big agencies in Chicago, what are the top five?

posted Hide Post
anyone do extra work in the city/

Posts: 7 | Location: Chicago | Registered: January 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
Of course! Extra work is nice, some pocket money while meeting awesome people. You never know that rare shot you might get a speaking role.

posted Hide Post
HI, I have a friend who needs help trying to get in the acting business but doesnt know where to start, does anybody know where in Chicago is the best place to take acting classes for beginners with no experience whatsoever?

has anybody heard of modelandactnow.com ? she is considering taking classes there but I have not heard 1 review about them and their website has little info to give

are there better places in Chicago that caterers to first time beginners? I would appreciate any info that can be useful

Posts: 1 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: January 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nicholas Cage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AQsuited:
HI, I have a friend who needs help trying to get in the acting business but doesnt know where to start, does anybody know where in Chicago is the best place to take acting classes for beginners with no experience whatsoever?

has anybody heard of modelandactnow.com ? she is considering taking classes there but I have not heard 1 review about them and their website has little info to give

are there better places in Chicago that caterers to first time beginners? I would appreciate any info that can be useful

Stick with the ones already mentioned in this thread. Eg:

Second City
Acting Studio Chicago
The Green Room
Act One Studios

These are all excellent training centers for beginning and advanced students.

I don't know anything about modelandactnow.com.

Avoid companies (and managers and agents) that "hype" and play up the excitement of the industry to starry-eyed newcomers. They specialize in convincing you that you're missing a huge opportunity if you don't buy what they're selling. Reputable training centers have none of that. They simply list what they have to offer.

Your friend should spend a lot of time reading the archives of this message board. I also recommend these books:

"Self Management for Actors," by Bonnie Gillespie. (Wait for the new edition due out later this month.)
"Acting in Chicago," by Chris Agos.

Also search the forum for other book recommendations. There are some really good ones out there, and they really do teach you what you need to know about the business of acting.

Posts: 45 | Location: Chicago | Registered: October 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
black box is the only place in chicago worth your time tbh.

Nicholas Cage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrNORTON:
black box is the only place in chicago worth your time tbh.

It's fine to have your favorite, but to say that The Second City Training Center in Chicago, for example, isn't "worth your time" is absurd and not helpful to the OP.

Posts: 45 | Location: Chicago | Registered: October 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post