Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chicago Login/Join

Kevin Bacon
posted Hide Post
I will definitely check those out when I move! If I live in Ravenswood that would be a nice quick commute to class.

I don't live in Chicago (yet), but I learned tons about the neighborhoods and the average pricing/safety/culture/vibes/etc from the city data forum. It's invaluable, really.

Posts: 9 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: June 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
Hey guys,

I'm thinking of moving closer to Chicago (I live in Rockford at the moment) to pursue classes and auditions a little bit closer to the city. What 'burbs are reccomended for ease of commute? I don't mind driving in, I really don't want to live IN the city.

--
"You must be the change you wish to see in the world."

Posts: 28 | Location: Illinois | Registered: March 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Morgan Freeman
posted Hide Post
Question: Do rehearsels generally happen at night or during the day?

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in getting up everytime we do." Confucius

Posts: 43 | Location: Houston | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Kevin Bacon
posted Hide Post
@jasonresno: This does not pertain to your actual question, sorry. Is there a specific reason that you don't want to live in the city? I struggle as well with the city vs. suburb decision. Well I DID anyway, until I visited last Saturday. Now I think I've finally committed to the city. But I remember you posting somewhere that you have taken classes at Second City already. Did you actually drive all the way in from Rockford every week? That's dedication!

Though I suppose if I lived within a couple hours of the city, I'd be too impatient to not take classes too. I live 5 hours away, sadly. I went down last weekend for the beginners orientation at Act One, which was great. It is so depressing knowing that I can't sign up for anything until I move.

Posts: 9 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: June 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Riaa27:
@jasonresno: This does not pertain to your actual question, sorry. Is there a specific reason that you don't want to live in the city? I struggle as well with the city vs. suburb decision. Well I DID anyway, until I visited last Saturday. Now I think I've finally committed to the city. But I remember you posting somewhere that you have taken classes at Second City already. Did you actually drive all the way in from Rockford every week? That's dedication!

Though I suppose if I lived within a couple hours of the city, I'd be too impatient to not take classes too. I live 5 hours away, sadly. I went down last weekend for the beginners orientation at Act One, which was great. It is so depressing knowing that I can't sign up for anything until I move.

Yup I got pretty good at getting to class and back pretty darn quick. I've been a small town guy my entire life. I hate the hustle and bustle of the city. I don't mind goign through it to get things done (like work or school) but I definitely don't want to live in "it".

--

Posts: 28 | Location: Illinois | Registered: March 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
*Bump*

Hey guys! It's super great to see some Chicago actors Or, potential Chicago actors on this board. I just wanted to let you in on something super big in Chicago. If you're in Chicago actively taking classes, you are probably familiar with the, once a week for three hour scene study, improv, cold reading, audition technique or on camera structured classes. Personally, I have found this style training to be helpful but as for as artistic growth goes, a very slow stagnating process because you're only "working your craft" 10 hours a week at most. Fortunately, Kathryn Gately and Richard Poole are opening up their own studio in Chicago in which classes are up to 5 hours each time you go an 3 days a week. Kathryn is first generation Meisner. She teaches just like him. She was also trained by William Esper and Taught at Rutgers mason of the arts before going to NIU to be their master MFA teachers. She's "Down to earth, no fooling around kind of teacher," but a very brilliant teacher! So if you're not good with constructive criticism then it may not be the class for you. In my humble opinion growth doesn't happen in comfortable style training. Rick comes from a very similar background but with his passion geared towards film. Their website is gatelypoole.com this website is geared towards the conservatory training but they have decided to start an on- going style training. Email Rick at RICK6174@aol.com if you're interested in classes. Other wise I may be able to help out with answering some of your questions. Hope to see you in class some day!!

Posts: 5 | Location: Crystal Lake, Illinois | Registered: January 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Denzel Washington
posted Hide Post
Hey, I have a model friend now living in CHI, and she wants to find a commercial/print agent.

Where should she start?

Has lots of model exposure/portfolio.

Posts: 44 | Location: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nicholas Cage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Midwest2LA:
Hey, I have a model friend now living in CHI, and she wants to find a commercial/print agent.

Where should she start?

I'm not familiar enough with print modeling in Chicago to answer your question, but in the past I've researched agents by asking headshot/comp card photographers who the reputable agents are in town. The photographers always seem to be plugged in. And it's easy to find the good photographers, because their work is on the web.

Posts: 48 | Location: Chicago | Registered: October 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nicholas Cage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Midwest2LA:

Where should she start?

http://www.lilystalent.com/
http://www.stewarttalent.com/

-----------
You don't have to win them all, you just need a winning attitude!
www.taylordior.com
www.imdb.me/taylordior

Posts: 78 | Location: East Coast | Registered: April 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChasingTheDreamzWhileSatisfyingTheNeeds:
*Bump*

Hey guys! It's super great to see some Chicago actors Or, potential Chicago actors on this board. I just wanted to let you in on something super big in Chicago. If you're in Chicago actively taking classes, you are probably familiar with the, once a week for three hour scene study, improv, cold reading, audition technique or on camera structured classes. Personally, I have found this style training to be helpful but as for as artistic growth goes, a very slow stagnating process because you're only "working your craft" 10 hours a week at most. Fortunately, Kathryn Gately and Richard Poole are opening up their own studio in Chicago in which classes are up to 5 hours each time you go an 3 days a week. Kathryn is first generation Meisner. She teaches just like him. She was also trained by William Esper and Taught at Rutgers mason of the arts before going to NIU to be their master MFA teachers. She's "Down to earth, no fooling around kind of teacher," but a very brilliant teacher! So if you're not good with constructive criticism then it may not be the class for you. In my humble opinion growth doesn't happen in comfortable style training. Rick comes from a very similar background but with his passion geared towards film. Their website is gatelypoole.com this website is geared towards the conservatory training but they have decided to start an on- going style training. Email Rick at RICK6174@aol.com if you're interested in classes. Other wise I may be able to help out with answering some of your questions. Hope to see you in class some day!!

I definitely agree with this. They have an application on their website you can fill out www.GatelyPoole.com

Posts: 2 | Location: Chicago | Registered: November 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Kevin Bacon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SungSam:

I definitely agree with this. They have an application on their website you can fill out www.GatelyPoole.com

Are the intensives geared toward people who already have had plenty of previous training?

posted Hide Post
if youre in chicago and not at black box then youre doing it wrong.

Posts: 8 | Location: Chicago | Registered: January 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
Just got my first headshots EVER done by Ryan Roberts (http://www.ryanrobertstudios.com) through a recommendation. Loved everything about the shoot and will be posting them soon for critique, just thought I'd pass the name along for my other Chicago actors.

Outside of that question for all you active Chicago people. What websites are you registered on? I am on ActorsAccess and NowCasting, I was toying with the idea of signing up on Backstage but is it worth it for our market?

--

Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
So I'm non union and unrepresented right now but I'm still working my butt off to find work and be the best actor I can be. I'm registered at the big casting websites and I'm roaming craigslist every morning/night. I'm just getting frustrated, it's so hard to find work in this town that isn't doing poorly written student films. I've got nothing against doing student projects, but when I get the sides and they are almost unreadable.. I don't want to do that work. Am I wrong?

--

Nicholas Cage
posted Hide Post
I don't think you're wrong. If it's a sucky project, then it's not going to do anything for you. My views are:

1. Stay in training continuously. Second City, Acting Studio Chicago, and The Green Room are highly regarded. In addition to becoming a better actor, you make great connections -- people who can refer you to their agents and who are producing their own content. The industry is about networking. (But I think the best part of making these connections is spending time and making friends with people who get you.)

2. Learn how to make your own content. Take classes in writing and producing.

3. Act on stage. Start anywhere and work your way up.

Not that I'm an expert. My kid is still struggling too. But this is what I've come to believe over the years.

Posts: 48 | Location: Chicago | Registered: October 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post