Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chicago Login/Join

posted
I like MonkeyFace's idea of starting threads for specific areas as a way of organizing info. The initial thread has some Toronto, some Chicago, etc. So I though I'd start a Chicago (my hometown) thread with Old Bay's excellent info on the major agencies and CDs in the area. Anyone with anything to add, do so below.

quote:
Simon Casting, P+R Casting and O'Connor casting are the three biggest casting agencies in Chicago.

Claire Simon casts mostly studio features, television/pilots and regional theater.

P+R casts mostly indie features, a few studio features and commercials.

O'Connor casts mostly commercials.

As far as talent agencies, I'm with Marisa at Paonessa Talent Agency (PTA) and she knows how to get on the phone and pitch for her talent.

There's also Innovative, Stewart and Gray Talent Group. A lot of Chicago heavy-hitters are on the roster at Stewart. Gray has a great sampling of younger talent and some seasoned vets. Innovative used to be a big voiceover company but has since expanded to film, tv, and commercials. In addition to Shirley Hamilton, Bigmouth and Lilys. Those are all the ones that I know.

---
Sr. Research Editor for Backstage/ Editor of Call Sheet

Posts: 4 | Location: Back Stage Wilshire Office | Registered: December 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Kevin Bacon
posted Hide Post
I love the idea of a page just focusing on Chicago! As far as acting classes go, i'll be taking classes at Act One Studios.

Posts: 3 | Location: Chicago | Registered: March 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
Claire Simon and some other folks-in-the-know teach at Acting Studio Chicago, you could only help yourself by taking an on-camera, scene study or commercial class there as well.

Posts: 10 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: July 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nicholas Cage
posted Hide Post
The Chicago training centers that I hear mentioned over and over again are:

Second City
Acting Studio Chicago
The Green Room
Act One Studios

My teen daughter has taken classes at the first two, and they are both fantastic. Rachael at Acting Studio Chicago was extremely helpful when I had questions about the industry. My daughter is going to try out The Green Room in June. I don't think it's possible to go wrong with any of these four.

Posts: 27 | Location: Chicago | Registered: October 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Anyone know of any method acting studios in Chicago or nearby suburbs?

Posts: 7 | Location: Chicago | Registered: January 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
This out of LA forum was a great idea. Chicago newbi-ish guy over here. I've taken classes at Second City and really enjoyed what I got out of them.

--
"You must be the change you wish to see in the world."

Posts: 34 | Location: Illinois | Registered: March 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrNORTON:
Anyone know of any method acting studios in Chicago or nearby suburbs?

I've never taken a class at either, and not sure about how "method" they are, but try Black Box (Meisner) and Acting Studio Chicago.

Posts: 10 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: July 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
HEADSHOT PHOTOGRAPHERS
----

Any advice on who to look for to get headshots done in/around the city?

--

Posts: 34 | Location: Illinois | Registered: March 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nicholas Cage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Any advice on who to look for to get headshots done in/around the city?

My daughter (age 16) uses http://www.zoe-photo.com/ and we couldn't be happier.

Posts: 27 | Location: Chicago | Registered: October 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post

Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Old Bay:
Also check out Brian McConkey, Christina Noel and Chris Popio.

Thank you both for the advice. I'm going to check them out.

--

posted Hide Post
I've been waiting for a solid resource on this forum about thoughts on Chicago. SWEET!!!

The go to schools that I've tried and reccomend:

Improv:
Second City
iO
Annoyance

Acting/ Scene study:
Green Shirt Studios
Acting Studio Chicago
Second City

Jasonresno, I got a really good deal on great head shots from Anthony Arcardi. He knows what he is doing. Try him out. His email is

Posts: 5 | Location: Crystal Lake, Illinois | Registered: January 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry, I guess it just sent some how. But anthonys email address is anthony@aicardi.net

Posts: 5 | Location: Crystal Lake, Illinois | Registered: January 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Chasing! I'll email Anthony and see what he's about.

As long as we are getting some basic information out there...

What do you Chicago people use to find work in and around the city? So far I am on nowcasting and actorsaccess. I also peruse craigslist. Any other suggestions?

--

Nicholas Cage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jasonresno:
What do you Chicago people use to find work in and around the city? So far I am on nowcasting and actorsaccess. I also peruse craigslist. Any other suggestions?

That's what I do for my kid. (She has an agent, but we also look for work on our own.) She also does all the background work we find, mostly because she loves being on set and partly because we get to meet working directors and producers that way.