home subscribe
Backstage.com    Message Board Homepage  Hop To Forum Categories  Moderated Forums  Hop To Forums  Acting Outside Hollywood    Washington, DC (Metro DC)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Washington, DC (Metro DC) Login/Join

posted
Love this new section.
Starting a Metro DC String.
What are actors in the DC areas doing? Film, commercials, industrials, theater?
Are there area resources that you want to share?
Can wait to hear from you!

Posts: 2 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: April 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like this idea. Start strings that are location specific. MonkeyFace, our regional listings are very sparse for the D.C. area. We basically have the T.H.E. Agency and that's it. Any actors that can recommend agencies in the area, I'd be interested in that as well.

---
Sr. Research Editor for Backstage/ Editor of Call Sheet

Posts: 6 | Location: Back Stage Wilshire Office | Registered: December 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Pete.

Maybe I'm the only one in DC?
Three to add to T.H.E. Agency:

Carlyn Davis Casting, http://www.carlyndavis.com/

Betsy Royall Casting
http://www.betsycasting.com/

Nancy Mosser Casting (based out of Pittsburg but casts DC talent from what I understand),
http://www.mossercasting.com/

Posts: 2 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: April 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Kevin Bacon
posted Hide Post

Posts: 4 | Location: DC Metro Region | Registered: April 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh yeah. We actually have listings for all those CDs. I was just talking about agencies located in D.C. proper.

The way our database is set up is not great for the densely populated Eastern Seaboard, since we separate agencies and CDs by state. So Philly CDs are separate from NY CDs, for example, even though NY actors would, I assume, gladly hop on the 95 South to audition in Philly. Ditto DC/B'More.

Hopefully, when online Call Sheet get an upgrade over the next few months, we'll incorporate a search area function, so people can search for agencies and CDs within 5, 10, 25, 50 miles of a given zip code.

---
Sr. Research Editor for Backstage/ Editor of Call Sheet

Posts: 6 | Location: Back Stage Wilshire Office | Registered: December 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
That's why the listings are so sparse!

By the way, I think this folder is a wonderful idea for all of the members and readers (and lurkers) who are not in NYC or LA.

Hopefully it can be tweaked to reflect the realities of certain "cities."

Washington, D.C. has T.H.E and Central Casting and that's pretty much it.

Virtually ALL of the legit managers, agents, CDs are in the "greater Washington D.C. area" -- primarily Northern Virginia and Montgomery/Prince George County, Md. (both of which are considered metro DC) and if you go a little farther afield, you have Baltimore which has the very awesome Pat Moran, Taylor Royall, etc.

In addition, my guess is that many of the "DC-based actors" also live in one of the surrounding states.

Posts: 13 | Location: DC | Registered: November 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Kevin Bacon
posted Hide Post
Has anyone done headshots with Tim Coburn in DC?

http://www.dcheadshots.com/portfolio/actors

Had planned on getting mine done in New York, but just curious if anyone has worked with Tim and how his work compares to NYC photographers.

Posts: 4 | Location: DC Metro Region | Registered: April 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
There are some nice shots here!
quote:
Originally posted by Fiyero:
Has anyone done headshots with Tim Coburn in DC?

http://www.dcheadshots.com/portfolio/actors

Had planned on getting mine done in New York, but just curious if anyone has worked with Tim and how his work compares to NYC photographers.

Posts: 18 | Location: NYC | Registered: February 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Kevin Bacon
posted Hide Post
Bump

"Decide that you want it, more than you are afraid of it." Bill Cosby

Posts: 27 | Location: Washington DC | Registered: April 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Morgan Freeman
posted Hide Post
Lots of theatre (community as well as Equity) and plenty of independent film stuff in DC. Big budget films come through on occasion, but the only thing cast for those in DC is usually BG.
There are no agents in DC. There are a few casting houses that will keep you on file and send out notices by email. I think they have all been listed here already.
An excellent source for information and training is the National Conservatory of Dramatic Arts. They're in Georgetown.
There is also a pretty good acting "scene" once you get hooked in to it. Mostly theatre though.
Plenty of industrials, but not many commercials. Most people who are trying to make a living head to NYC as often as possible.

Posts: 145 | Location: Hollywood, CA | Registered: April 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Actually, Capital Talent Agency is in DC and franchised by SAG and Equity and opened in 2009. There was a CityPaper article about it around the time it opened.

Posts: 1 | Location: DC | Registered: November 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Check out my blog with casting calls posted daily

www.theactorslot.com

Always follow your Dreams

Posts: 1 | Location: Richmod VA | Registered: December 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Harrison Ford
posted Hide Post
Here are some links for the Maryland/Washington DC area, shared on actress/acting coach Brenna McDonough's site.

http://www.oncameratraining.com/Links.htm

- MIB -
"If you can dream, you can do. Making it happen is up to you!"

Posts: 874 | Location: SoCal | Registered: July 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm so glad there's a thread for my fellow Washingtonians! I'm just starting out, so have done very little. The most I've done are very small charity productions of the Vagina Monologues.

Posts: 8 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: May 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We are picking up here in the MD/DC area. We have both VEEP and House of Cards filming in Maryland and just last summer they filmed the indie Ping Pong Summer in Ocean City, MD. They're actually at Sundance this year.

Out of all the casting directors in the area Pat Moran is by far the best. If you live in the area you should check her site out regularly as she's always casting something.

Posts: 16 | Location: La La Land | Registered: January 11, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post