Tools

TEXAS!! Login/Join

Kevin Bacon
posted
Just wanted to star a topic about my state Smiler

In what ways do you find work? Aside from actors access (etc.) I also use:

shortfilmtexas.com
southwestcasting.com
There is also a yahoo groups for every major city (Houston, Austin, Dallas for sure)

I, for one, am having an awfully time tracking down the addresses for CD's. I have found a few but not really enough to count...

What are some good CD's in Louisiana, New Mexico, Oklahoma (etc. surrounding states) you know of that, you know, are currently working?

What are some Texas agents you would recommend? What ones would you not recommend?

Obviously Austin has the whole movie thing going on, and Dallas isn't far behind. What's filming in your neck of the woods that you know of?

And...anything else?

Posts: 3 | Location: Texas | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey Jumping Beans,

Next to NY, CA, and probably FL, TX has the most casting directors of any state in our database. The newest edition of print Call Sheet (May/June issue, out in a few weeks) You can order one through Customer Service 800-658-8372. We also have the iPhone Call Sheet app.

Cheers,
Pete

---
Sr. Research Editor for Backstage/ Editor of Call Sheet

Posts: 4 | Location: Back Stage Wilshire Office | Registered: December 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Kevin Bacon
posted Hide Post
Thanks Pete!

Posts: 3 | Location: Texas | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As far as Texas agents are concerned, here are a few that I would recommend.

Dallas:
Linda McAlister Talent
Kim Dawson Agency
Clutts Agency
Callidus Agency

Austin:
Acclaim Talent
Collier Talent Agency

Houston:
Page Parkes
Neal Hamil
(Houston has no real market to speak of so I wouldn't waste my time)

Posts: 6 | Location: Tx | Registered: August 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Kevin Bacon
posted Hide Post
I live and work in Houston...there is actually a good amount of work, but probably not as much as say Austin. Yet we still get called in to audition there quite frequently. (Some of the CDs I've taken workshops from have said they consider Austin-Houston-San Antonio to be one market.) Lots of people live here in Houston and have agents here but book a ton of stuff out of state. Especially to Louisiana and New Mexico. We also do a ton commercially.

Page Parkes and Neil Hamil are both modeling agencies (they have talent divisions, but honestly, they are a joke). Plus, they are both connected to schools. The two main Houston agencies at Pastorini-Bosby Talent and A Plus Actors. PB is very strong throughout the state.

Austin also has TAG Talent Agency.

Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
Texas is one of the best states for work outside of LA, NYC, and ATL. I was living there for awhile and almost got signed to an agency. I opted out just because of school. My friend did though. He is signed to Calliope Talent Agency in San Antonio. He actually booked a role on the Walking Dead. He filmed his audition, his agency sent it to the show, and they flew him out to ATL to film. So if anyone lives in SA, if you want your shot, go to Calliope. Calliope is run by Kristy Martin. Who is incredible. But if you don't live by SA, I would not recommend going to Calliope (like many people have done that I saw at the inquiry meeting) because there are much bigger agencies in Dallas. So many popular actors have came out of Dallas so that just tells you. If you live in Texas and want work, you definitely want to high-tail it Dallas and check out the agencies there. You have much better chance of finding work.

Posts: 4 | Location: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: June 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dallas is definitely the place to be in Texas.

Posts: 6 | Location: Tx | Registered: August 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Kevin Bacon
posted Hide Post
This is great information. I am in Houston and have been curious about this very topic.
Can you elaborate a bit more on what is available in Dallas? I know that Austin is big on movies. Thanks

Posts: 2 | Location: USA | Registered: August 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dallas is mostly a commercial market

posted Hide Post
I must be doing something wrong because i was way busier in Houston than i am in Dallas. OP, if you have the time, read filmschoolrejects' email news feed, doddle's news feed, and vulture's news feed. one of those three normally have the newest gouge on feature film and television projects.

Posts: 6 | Location: Cedar Hill, TX | Registered: June 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JumpingBeans:
Just wanted to star a topic about my state Smiler

In what ways do you find work? Aside from actors access (etc.) I also use:

shortfilmtexas.com
southwestcasting.com
There is also a yahoo groups for every major city (Houston, Austin, Dallas for sure)

I, for one, am having an awfully time tracking down the addresses for CD's. I have found a few but not really enough to count...

What are some good CD's in Louisiana, New Mexico, Oklahoma (etc. surrounding states) you know of that, you know, are currently working?

What are some Texas agents you would recommend? What ones would you not recommend?

Obviously Austin has the whole movie thing going on, and Dallas isn't far behind. What's filming in your neck of the woods that you know of?

And...anything else?

network,network,network

dallas is a pretty friendly scene, so make sure to attend any and all mixers-
in fort worth there is endeavor cinema group.
-mostly newbies but its useful.
and take acting classes.
also-
shortfilmtexas.com-be sure to look at the notices everyday.

also- the local scene is full of every type of filmmaker- from the amazing to the just starting out; so the way to know the amazing is hang out at the texas theater. three big types own it and they make consistently amazing work.

like any great club- the local filmmakers are close knit, so do great work at ut arlington-where the best and the brightest study.
they know people and those people know people.
otherwise its kind of a crap shoot.

good luck

Posts: 3 | Location: Texas | Registered: August 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Airanne Martin for sure.
also josh morris is great.
they're both actors too so they offer great deals!

Posts: 3 | Location: Texas | Registered: August 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
great agency!!

i haven't heard anything bad from any agency in the dallas area.

posted Hide Post
OP, are you in houston or dallas?

Posts: 6 | Location: Cedar Hill, TX | Registered: June 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
Agency ranking in Dallas?

Is there a top or best agency? We used to work with Kim Dawson a couple years ago. I'm wondering if I should contact them and let them know we are back or try our luck elsewhere. Our focus is acting and I have a child.

Kim Dawson Agency
Campell
Horne Agency
Clutts
Page Parkes
Linda McCalister

Any others?

Posts: 6 | Location: USA | Registered: August 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post