home subscribe
Backstage.com    Message Board Homepage  Hop To Forum Categories  Moderated Forums  Hop To Forums  Acting Outside Hollywood    Is it still necessary to move to la
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is it still necessary to move to la Login/Join

posted
Newyork had 22 pilots while la had 1 so does that mean there are more opportunities in the east coast thanks to the film incentives.

Posts: 3 | Location: MI | Registered: December 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You're horribly misinformed.

Posts: 1868 | Location: LA,CA | Registered: May 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is no way that LOS ANGELES including HOLLYWOOD only had ONE pilot. Hollywood have hundreds of pilots a year! Many tv shows don't make it past the pilot. Nyc is a very steong theatre city. And would maybe have a hundred pilots, probably less.

Posts: 1 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: March 10, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
I still dont understand why alot of people are so eager to move to LA, i was recently at a bar with a girl and she told me all about her ex boyfriend being an aspiring actor just like me. She told me that they both moved to LA because he kept pushing the idea. I asked her if he made it? And her reply was ''he was a shit actor''.

So obviously he didn't , so what im trying to say is measure up your skill level before even considering such a feat. I know personally that i would'nt move from Australia unless i had a huge offer.

Posts: 15 | Location: Sydney ,New South Wales | Registered: March 28, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Russell Crowe
posted Hide Post
Ditto

Posts: 90 | Location: New York City | Registered: December 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
It is not necessary to move to Los Angeles anymore as production continues to leave the city due to tax inncentives.
The majority of the people on this board are horribly misinformed and want to believe that nothing has changed. It has all changed!
If you are at the level of guest star, series regular, or above then it is important to live here, otherwise....stay where you are.
It is so bad that not only are agencies (smaller ones) closing their doors but casting directors are no longer working like they use to as so much is being cast locally (where the production is).
The focus now (SAG just had a seminar on this) is to secure an agent out of town, learn how to self tape auditions, and work as a local.
This is the reality. Millions and millions of dollars are being spent building studios and post facilities in states that are tax friendly.
Film left a long,long time ago and now its television.
Actors living in Los Angeles need to make their voice heard. Call your local politicians, the film commission, even ask the SAG local if there are any grass roots commitees you can join/organize to bring production back to Los Angeles. (I have tried the latter several times to 0 returned phone calls).
Anyway......the usual "rose colored galsses" people will deny all I just said but the people who really work in the industry and make a living at the "journeyman" level will not dispute.

Posts: 9 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: August 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Full:
It is not necessary to move to Los Angeles anymore as production continues to leave the city due to tax inncentives.
The majority of the people on this board are horribly misinformed and want to believe that nothing has changed. It has all changed!
If you are at the level of guest star, series regular, or above then it is important to live here, otherwise....stay where you are.
It is so bad that not only are agencies (smaller ones) closing their doors but casting directors are no longer working like they use to as so much is being cast locally (where the production is).
The focus now (SAG just had a seminar on this) is to secure an agent out of town, learn how to self tape auditions, and work as a local.
This is the reality. Millions and millions of dollars are being spent building studios and post facilities in states that are tax friendly.
Actors living in Los Angeles need to make their voice heard. Call your local politicians, the film commission, even ask the SAG local if there are any grass roots commitees you can join/organize to bring production back to Los Angeles. (I have tried the latter several times to 0 returned phone calls).
Anyway......the usual "rose colored galsses" people will deny all I just said but the people who really work in the industry and make a living at the "journeyman" level will not dispute.

Full speaks the truth.

Posts: 15 | Location: Sydney ,New South Wales | Registered: March 28, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Al Pacino
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Natural-Gift:
quote:

Full speaks the truth.

Not really. Some of what he says is true but the conclusion he draws-"It is not necessary to move to Los Angeles anymore as production continues to leave the city due to tax inncentives" is dead wrong. You must move to LA if you want to have a real career in film and TV.

Full:"The majority of the people on this board are horribly misinformed and want to believe that nothing has changed. It has all changed!"

Yes, things have changed-you've got that right. More productions are being shot in other states. The problem is that they are all spread out-each individual area has just one or two shows shooting. Maybe you could book a costar on that one show. Then what? What if the other show doesn't cast your type, or gets cancelled? In LA there are 50 other shows you could get booked on.

Full:"If you are at the level of guest star, series regular, or above then it is important to live here, otherwise....stay where you are."

If you do that you'll never get to the level of guest star, series reg or above. Part of the reason to be in LA is that you're connecting and networking with the people that can hire you on shows that shoot anywhere. You can't do that from North Carolina or Albuquerque.

"It is so bad that not only are agencies (smaller ones) closing their doors but casting directors are no longer working like they use to as so much is being cast locally (where the production is).
The focus now (SAG just had a seminar on this) is to secure an agent out of town, learn how to self tape auditions, and work as a local."

I think it's a good idea to have an out-of-town agent and be able to self-tape. But you bring up an important point-if you live in Portland you are competing against LA people and won't even know it-those who are willing to put themselves up as locals-so there goes your advantage. In fact, a guy I know just did that for "Grimm." His Portland agent got him an audition, he self-taped, booked the role and put himself up.

Posts: 252 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: January 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
I think it depends on what you are going for and where you are in your career. I'm in NYC and don't plan on going out there until I have a solid resume and have made connections out there. Maybe a referral to an agent too.

The great thing today is that you can skype an audition! I've submitted for things in LA on AA and they just had me send a video audition and a note saying if I get a cal back that I need to fly out there (and if I got a call back I most definitely would fly out there!)

Callie Harlan
Adorable feistiness mixed with a defiant dark-side

http://www.youtube.com/user/CallieNYC
www.CallieHarlan.com

Posts: 23 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: January 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
quote:

Now the L.A. Mayor agrees. Productions leaving the state has reached "emergency" numbers. http://variety.com/2013/biz/ne...ollywood-1200589182/ It's not just the film industry. California govt. sees every business that makes a profit as a cash cow to be milked completely dry via taxes, fees and fines. Industry in general is moving out of CA. The state is the next Detroit.

Posts: 5 | Location: LA Calif | Registered: November 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Robert DeNiro
posted Hide Post
Well,I hope you all move away so there's more work for those of us who stay in LA.

Michigan was the big thing but not anymore.

NC is booming, but that could change too.

This will always be command central for film/tv, tax breaks or not.

Posts: 517 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: January 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Al Pacino
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't ever call these places "Booming." NC has like 4 shows (if that).

Posts: 1055 | Location: New York | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post