home subscribe
Backstage.com    Message Board Homepage  Hop To Forum Categories  Show Business  Hop To Forums  Survival Jobs    Acting = automatic disqualification??
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Acting = automatic disqualification?? Login/Join

Picture of melissadlugatch
posted
I have experimented before with job interviews. I'm just curious, why is it that if you mention your long term goal / dream is to be an actor automatically turns them off?

I mean, it's flattering that they think I'll get so many auditions / work that I won't be reliable. But if that were the case, that I was so busy doing acting work, why would I even waste my time with their company?

I just wish I could be honest at job interviews about what I really want to do, instead of telling them what they all want to hear "I want to stay here for the rest of my life!"

Of course there are jobs that prey on actors. Usually, they are commission only sales jobs that no one wants.

It just seems like mentioning any acting aspirations is the equivalent of saying you just got out of prison, or are considered a sex offender.

I just want to say to them, seriously, I'm flattered you think I'll become so successful tomorrow that I'll have to quit - but it's just not realistic!

I mean, it's ok for people to say they are working towards other goals that will eventually mean they have to quit, but I just wonder why ACTING specifically turns them off? I'm really sick of omitting that information, and just curious how it became a deal breaker?

Melissa

Posts: 4 | Location: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: May 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Robert DeNiro
Picture of amo37
posted Hide Post
Actors unfortunately have a reputation for being flaky...true or not..wannabes...true or not.

I've been honest with temp services and done well. As a matter in fact, in NYC there are temp services that cater to actors. Many companies love outgoing acting personalities..My boss at Sotheby's in NYC did. I was there as a temp for three years..Just keep looking, but sometimes you've got to keep your heart under your hat to feed yourself. At least until you've established yourself as a great, reliable worker at a 'regular job.'

Posts: 511 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: January 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A lot of people probably consider actors unreliable and think they'll be skipping work to go to auditions. I think whether you reveal that you're an actor should depend on the type of job. If it's something that requires you to be outgoing, bringing up acting experience could be a plus. If you're interviewing for a job at Best Buy, I don't think there's much of a benefit to saying you're an actor.

Posts: 2 | Location: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: February 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of melissadlugatch
posted Hide Post
I almost always omit that information if asked what my long term goals are. I've even tried saying that I've done background work in between jobs because my aunt is an AD - still turns them off.

There is such a stigma behind doing ANYTHING in the film industry, or any sort of temp work. Even when I did security for 4 years steadily, it was almost impossible to even get an interview at any other profession, even though I'd had years of office work prior.

I always thought the older I got, the easier it would be to find jobs, but I guess with so much fear in the economy since late 2008, things have changed.

I'm trying to find work closer to where I'm currently living (Chatsworth area), as I have an older vehicle and am trying to save on gas.

Heard every excuse in the book: overqualified, underqualified, we hired someone that better fitted the job description, we've decided not to hire anyone at this time, we only have unpaid internships available, you seem unreliable for having done too much temp work...

I just need to win the lottery so I can be my own boss Wink

Posts: 4 | Location: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: May 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
I NEVER reveal I'm an actor in an interview or at work. In an interview no one wants to hear that your aspiration is in another field, it means you don't consider this to be a long term job. Even if you don't, you don't want them to know that.

Posts: 5 | Location: Boston | Registered: December 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Al Pacino
Picture of skeeterkitty2004
posted Hide Post
I'm still trying to find a job, even a pt one. Also the BA degree gets in the way of things, because they figure that you will dump them if you get a better one.

Posts: 266 | Location: seattle | Registered: August 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nicholas Cage
posted Hide Post
My experience is, that most people who are hiring want people to be able to stay a long time. They want you to make a long term commitment. They want their company to be your career, not acting or something else. It's ridiculous because a lot of these places don't pay much and they can fire you whenever they want. But they want YOU to make a long term commitment. Just lie and don't tell them until you get the job, and if they like you enough they might be lenient with letting you go on an audition.

Posts: 47 | Location: CA | Registered: October 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
Just curious as I am hopefully moving to LA with a year, when your a waiter/server/delivery driver or anything else are you really allowed to just say to your boss, I got an audition see ya latter? Then they have someone cover for you? Never really got how you are just allowed to take off from work with no notice just because it's LA.

KLT007

Posts: 67 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: June 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Morgan Freeman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KLT007:
Just curious as I am hopefully moving to LA with a year, when your a waiter/server/delivery driver or anything else are you really allowed to just say to your boss, I got an audition see ya latter? Then they have someone cover for you? Never really got how you are just allowed to take off from work with no notice just because it's LA.

There's nobody really holding you, however, it's not always smart to burn those bridges like that. It's up to you.

Posts: 97 | Location: LA | Registered: August 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Kevin Bacon
posted Hide Post
What about 3rd shift jobs? Say, an 11pm-7am gig or something? Does anyone have experience with that and if so, how did it work for your acting schedule?

Posts: 24 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: November 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
First few posts nailed it. People view actors as unreliable, mostly through past experiences when they've hired actors who have flaked on showing to work on time or even at all.
Definitely omit that information. If they ask where you want to be in the future just tell them something you could see yourself doing in their company if, for whatever reason, acting doesn't work out.

Posts: 9 | Location: Koreatown | Registered: July 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by coolforehand:
What about 3rd shift jobs? Say, an 11pm-7am gig or something? Does anyone have experience with that and if so, how did it work for your acting schedule?

A guy I work with does night audit and he's an actor. It's a great way to keep your days free but will wreck absolute hell on your body.

Posts: 9 | Location: Koreatown | Registered: July 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Russell Crowe
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by coolforehand:

I did 3rd shift for a dog boarding company. The pros: I had my day time open for auditions.
The Cons: I got off at 7am/9am and many times I had a 10:30 audition on the other side of town followed by another audition at 5:30.

Your sleep schedule is ruined. Quality of life suffers. No social life, No time for classes unless you go during the day. You can make it work but there is a sacrifice. I work retail 3-4 days a week now. I enjoy it. My store manager is a good friend of mine and I have an amazingly flexible schedule. I'm only available 5-9pm during the weekdays and all day all night on the weekends. That's what works for me...

Posts: 96 | Location: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: October 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lacigrl
posted Hide Post
Some jobs are really great for actors, luckily. When I was a tour guide at Universal Studios, they explicitly said that they wanted to work around your acting schedule. Like if we had to leave our shift to go to an audition and come back, they would be cheering us on, because they wanted us to succeed. Smiler It was awesome!

Posts: 2 | Location: Inland Empire, CA | Registered: July 28, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by melissadlugatch:
I almost always omit that information if asked what my long term goals are. I've even tried saying that I've done background work in between jobs because my aunt is an AD - still turns them off.

There is such a stigma behind doing ANYTHING in the film industry, or any sort of temp work. Even when I did security for 4 years steadily, it was almost impossible to even get an interview at any other profession, even though I'd had years of office work prior.

I always thought the older I got, the easier it would be to find jobs, but I guess with so much fear in the economy since late 2008, things have changed.

I'm trying to find work closer to where I'm currently living (Chatsworth area), as I have an older vehicle and am trying to save on gas.

Heard every excuse in the book: overqualified, underqualified, we hired someone that better fitted the job description, we've decided not to hire anyone at this time, we only have unpaid internships available, you seem unreliable for having done too much temp work...

I just need to win the lottery so I can be my own boss Wink

Every excuse in the book is just another way of saying we don't want to pay that much and want some kid who will be our wage slave until after the sun burns out

IMHO

Posts: 26 | Location: Northern NJ (close to NYC) | Registered: July 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post