home subscribe
Backstage.com    Message Board Homepage  Hop To Forum Categories  Show Business  Hop To Forums  Survival Jobs    This may come in handy for some people! (work from home website)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

This may come in handy for some people! (work from home website) Login/Join

Sean Penn
posted
I haven't used them yet, but a friend of mine got two jobs using this board and she has nothing but good things to say about using it as a resource.

Oops - I'm editing this because the link only seemed to lead to my own logged in page. Anyway, it's called workplace from home.

Posts: 132 | Location: Chicago | Registered: January 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
&*#()*@&*(Q()_Q(Q_)*_Q)

note to self - doublecheck stuff

it's workplace LIKE home

Sorry. :-(

Posts: 132 | Location: Chicago | Registered: January 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Denzel Washington
Picture of ressydm
posted Hide Post
dunno, a simple internet search turned up a lot of complaints....http://www.complaintsboard.com/complaints/work-place-like-home-c191985.html

Posts: 333 | Location: New York | Registered: October 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ressydm:
dunno, a simple internet search turned up a lot of complaints....http://www.complaintsboard.com/complaints/work-place-like-home-c191985.html

No Work Place Like Home is definitely a legit website. It is basically a forum that list Work from home jobs. No fear...

Posts: 1 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: October 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Denzel Washington
Picture of ressydm
posted Hide Post
Why would a newbie post a site that they clearly admit they don't utilize? AND a subsequent newbie reply? Nope, don't think so. I've been on the boards long enough to know that when something like that occurs, it's usually a SCAM. Let's try to get people back to work legitimately with legitimate work on sites we actually USE and can properly vouch for! Thank you.

Posts: 333 | Location: New York | Registered: October 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
Hey, the newbie here. Admittedly, I haven't used the site. But someone I worked with for awhile DID and it's where she's gotten leads for other work. I did have a work-from-home job for awhile that was similar to what is discussed on that site. It wasn't great pay, but it was super flexible.

And, fwiw, everyone starts off on this site as a "newbie." Doesn't mean everything said by one is inaccurate.

Kevin Bacon
Picture of JokeWriter
posted Hide Post
There's a lot of links for work from home and a huge majority of them are bogus or a rip-off. I was fortunate enough to run into a friend who's rated the #1 internet marketer online and a lot of his information is FREE.

I wound up building a nice online business and now I make a reasonable living from home while I still do my career in acting and stand-up.

It's not Amway or Herbalife or any of that multi-level crap.

Bottom line: there is some legitimate ways to build a business online with very little capital. Good luck!

...the science behind the art of comedy...
How To Be A Stand Up Comedian and How To Write Comedy

Posts: 7 | Location: Burbank, CA | Registered: November 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Johnny Depp
Picture of ebush1981
posted Hide Post
I am always looking for the at-home opportunities. I work as a driver part-time, but our hours have been severely reduced in the past couple years and I need to supplement for it.

I do know of a legit website that has kind of a weird set-up. It's kind of a pain early on, because you are competing for jobs with people around the world, but odesk.com is a way to get actual work-from-home jobs. Again, it's a worldwide thing, so early on you could only be making, like. $2.00/hour for some little project. But it's one of those things where you build your reputation and work up to better-paying stuff. And, depending on your skillset, you can apparently do that pretty quickly.

My sister actually started out doing it a couple years ago and (since she does billing/accounting) she ended up being recruited by the actual odesk company and works from home full time so she can be there with her kids (3 & 1). Doing the accounting stuff through them, she now makes $21 and hour or there about. Her first job on odesk was one of those $2.00/hour jobs doing ebay listing updates.

I myself am not finished setting up my profile on it, but I'm planning to do it today, so I'll keep people updated to see how it goes.

Does anybody else on here use odesk?

Emily
Maddie's mom

Posts: 2 | Location: Bay Area, CA | Registered: December 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
I actually managed an overseas team of researchers using Odesk, so I was one of the hirers (on behalf of the firm I was working for at the time).

I haven't tried it as a worker yet, but it is a legitimate website. But yes, you could be competing with people willing to work for $4/hr, so be prepared to hype up your skills!

Posts: 30 | Location: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: November 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi, just be very careful with what your finding online. I've been through the ringer with a lot of 'fly by nights' that over promise and under deliver. There is only one program that I found to be true and consistent. I only recommend this business right now, which I'm making money from. http://empoweringdecisions.com

I'm an indie producer in this biz and making money online as an internet marketer. Reach out to me if you have any questions. I'll give you the truth without the hype.
Cheers'

quote:
Originally posted by Victrola:
I haven't used them yet, but a friend of mine got two jobs using this board and she has nothing but good things to say about using it as a resource.

Oops - I'm editing this because the link only seemed to lead to my own logged in page. Anyway, it's called workplace from home.

Posts: 3 | Location: US | Registered: March 14, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Johnny Depp
Picture of shantkiraz
posted Hide Post
Look into being a virtual assistant, they pay quite well and you can be at home doing it!

-s

www.shantkiraz.com/headshots
LA & Seattle headshot photographer

Posts: 6 | Location: Los Angeles & Seattle | Registered: January 22, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of melissadlugatch
posted Hide Post
Just be aware that most "work from home opportunities" are pyramid schemes. They make great videos and articles, usually starting with a sob story about how they started with $10 bucks in their pocket and lived in their car. They get you all excited, showing how they now live in their dream home, are happily married, take tons of vacations, and make tons of money online by doing very little work.

Then at the end of the article comes the catch: in order to access their awesome advice, you must pay a fee. They'll tell you that the information is worth thousands, and that they normally sell it for a few hundred. BUT, just for a limited time, you can get it for just $25! Sometimes its a one time fee, other times it's monthly. But guess what? THAT is how they are making their money. Once you sign up for these "easy online data entry jobs", you'll discover that all you are doing is trying to get other people to buy the same information. Then they have to sell it, and so on. The only people making real money are the ones at the top of the pyramid. Stay away! I've fallen for them before, as have others I know, and I don't personally know anyone that makes money off it unless they invest a large amount of their own AND are already great sales professionals with a huge network of clients that already trust them.

The best way to make money online? Start your own website / business. Yes, it will take months or years to gain a following, but that's how it works.

1) Selling products online, either using ebay / amazon, or making your own site. This is a temporary thing for most people (selling things they already own around the house, but don't need). In order for this to be long term, you either need to make your own products to sell (such as jewelry or other custom made products); resell products that you find for cheap or free at yard sales, thrift shops, craigslist; get a wholesale license and buy products in bulk directly from the source, then sell for profit; if you have a special skill, you can "flip" things - houses, cars, even train animals, then sell (although this requires an initial investment with no guarantee of profit).

2) Blog. This usually takes months or years to earn a large enough following to do this full time. You'll make money on affiliates and advertisements that people click on when they read your entries. There is a lot of competition in this field, and you'll need to be a great writer, know basic html and website design, and usually pay a small monthly hosting fee. This works well if you have information that isn't easily available to the public, and it's information that people are searching for at the moment.

3) Write your own E-books. This works best if you already have a following on your blog or other website, and you've already given some information away for free, so people trust you.

The best example I've seen with someone making money online (and not forcing a sale down your throat) is: http://www.2knowmyself.com/
There are thousands of great psychology / advice articles, plus some cheap (and well written E-books if you want to go into more depth).

I'm sure there are other legit sites out there, you just have to be careful. If you're not selling a specific product and just paying to advertise what you've just watched, its a pyramid scheme.

Posts: 9 | Location: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: May 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
Yes you have to proceed with great caution for 'work from home opportunities' and other pyramid schemes like 'Herbalife'. If it sounds too good to be true it probably is.

The other suggestions are good advice Melissa!

Posts: 25 | Location: Worldwide | Registered: July 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would say to be careful of these work from home opportunities. Not just that they could be scams, but I have seen a few actors start with these and then their craft gets put on the side burner while they spend all of their time building their "side" business. So, if you find a legit work from home business, just remember your priorities.

---------------------------------------------
My Blog:

http://www.ActorSkill.com

Posts: 12 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: July 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Kevin Bacon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Texas Actor Network:
I would say to be careful of these work from home opportunities. Not just that they could be scams, but I have seen a few actors start with these and then their craft gets put on the side burner while they spend all of their time building their "side" business. So, if you find a legit work from home business, just remember your priorities.

this was me. honestly, if you are serious about your craft, you may either have to be satisfied with being broke, or having a very menial job that doesn't require all of your time, and not too much energy/brain power. something where once you're done with work, you're done, and doesn't require for you to really think hard or focus too much on it. all of your focus should be on your craft. luckily for me, my mentor told me not to do anything else with the business. clearly someone i listen to, since he was an actor, and is now in the same business as i am, doing great things. so, if you're serious, some of these work from home businesses.

Posts: 30 | Location: New York | Registered: December 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post