home subscribe
Backstage.com    Message Board Homepage  Hop To Forum Categories  Show Business  Hop To Forums  Survival Jobs    Any Personal Trainers Out There?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any Personal Trainers Out There? Login/Join

Kevin Bacon
posted
Are there any personal trainers that have found a good gym to work at? I keep reading some bad reviews about the big ones like Equinox, Crunch, etc.

I work as a trainer now which has given me a flexible schedule so I can audition here in NC. Would like to have a similar setup out in LA when I move there.

Posts: 27 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: March 22, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
A majority of the trainers in LA are also IN THE BUSINESS. Any good gym with good trainers is going to be tough to get into, like a well paying bar doesn't have much turnover with its bartenders.
The key is relationships. What can you set up NOW and leverage from NC before you get to LA? You may need to work at one of the 'big box' gyms and transfer out there, so at least you have a job. Downside, of course, is that the % that they take is much higher, and the flexibility is usually lower.
Bootcamps are an option, but that market is getting very saturated and there are some very good ones. That's a numbers game. It's all about how many people you know.
Crossfit is also an option as it is VERY popular in LA, and runs about $200/month, at least, but again, that would require you to get additional certification.
It's not going to be easy, that's for sure, but it's doable.

Posts: 25 | Location: Atlanta (9 years in LA) | Registered: August 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Kevin Bacon
posted Hide Post
Yeah that's what I figured. You have to compete for everything out there! I have a connection to the owner of a training studio out there through a friend, so I'll see if that works out.

Might just have to suck it up and work at a corporate gym for a while. It will still be flexible and if it lets me act, I don't mind some negatives of my day job. Thanks for the input.

Posts: 27 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: March 22, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
Anytime.
I think bootcamps are a good way to go if you have something unique to offer (maybe only to women, maybe it's two trainers for every class, etc.) and you don't have any overhead and you aren't paying a % to a gym owner...it's just you, bands/dumbbells/ropes, etc. and a park...good way to start out because it's all referral, social media, perhaps a groupon, etc.

Posts: 25 | Location: Atlanta (9 years in LA) | Registered: August 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am a personal trainer out here. I started out at Bally Total Fitness until it got bought out by LA Fitness. Then I worked at Crunch and it wasn't that much better, so now I train on my own.

The trick is to find those clients that will be loyal while trying to find new clients and auditioning at the same time. You will be busy, but you have to make sacrifices to follow your dream.

One option is to train in the morning and be a server at night. Another option could be to train at a corporate gym in the evening while starting a morning bootcamp or finding private clients in the morning.

The problem I have with bootcamps is that it is more of a responsibility because if you have to cancel for an audition or project, you are letting more people down. Also, there isnt as much of a connection with bootcamp clients. So, if you reschedule too much, it can be hard to maintain them as clients.

Just some thoughts.

---------------------------------------------
My Blog:

http://www.ActorSkill.com

Posts: 12 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: July 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post