home subscribe
Backstage.com    Message Board Homepage  Hop To Forum Categories  Show Business  Hop To Forums  Survival Jobs    Jobs within the industry
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Jobs within the industry Login/Join

Kevin Bacon
posted
Hi,

What are some of the jobs within the industry? For instance, rather than just having a job for the sake of having one that could be unrelated to the entertainment industry, what are some of the jobs one could do to learn some trades within the industry or to possibly make points with those already in the industry and all, etc?

Thanks!

Posts: 11 | Location: USA | Registered: January 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Kevin Bacon
posted Hide Post
Are there work at home jobs one could do that's related to the entertainment industry?

Thanks!

Posts: 11 | Location: USA | Registered: January 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Kevin Bacon
posted Hide Post
Probably jobs like Production Assistant on a Film/TV set or at a theatre. The problem is those types of jobs are probably as hard to get as the acting jobs. I've been trying to work on the backstage of theatre/film, but it's a very insular industry and there aren't too many reputable job listings to break in.

Posts: 4 | Location: DC Metro Region | Registered: April 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Kevin Bacon
posted Hide Post
Do they provide this information within the Backstage subscription?

Thanks!

posted Hide Post
I just wanted to bump this. There are jobs like transcribers that are work from home. I haven't personally done it but I see job postings every now and then for them. I saw one that needed a fairly quick turnaround (daily) so as long as you can get them done as soon as you can that should leave time for auditions.

As far as working in the entertainment industry, thats what I do now. I am at the lowest rung of the ladder but it pays a bit more than my full time 9-5 job that I was working before. And that's if I work 2 weeks out of the month it about equals a month's pay. I must note that I don't work in LA so the work that I get where I live is here and there, pretty sporadic. But where there is more work there are more competition but also more opportunities.

I work on sets but am transitioning to also learn more editing so that I can freelance and still be able to go to auditions once I move. I'll update if anyone is curious if this works out well. Wink

Posts: 1 | Location: USA | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sean Penn
Picture of Natural-Gift
posted Hide Post
A marketing job or at least completing marketing certification ? that would be extremely beneficial for promoting yourself as an actor.

Posts: 18 | Location: Sydney ,New South Wales | Registered: March 28, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If I want to learn something from home on internet.Is it possible to learn and earn from ?

Posts: 1 | Location: Florida | Registered: April 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Most paid jobs in the industry will have you working long hours for low pay starting off. To get these jobs you usually have to know someone or you have to do an unpaid internship first to gain connections.

Posts: 3 | Location: Los Angeles County | Registered: September 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hollywhite
posted Hide Post
I agree with Natural-Gift. Marketing jobs are extremely beneficial for promoting yourself as an actor - just be careful that you don't get burnt out on your marketing day job, and don't want to do any marketing for yourself (but c'mon, we're actors. Of COURSE we always want to talk about ourselves).

I know LA (and probably NYC?) has the NBC page program going, and I think it starts in January 2014. My fiance applied for it and is waiting to hear back.

Posts: 14 | Location: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: October 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm actually going backwards. I'm a filmmaker, but recently experienced some luck with acting. got called for the new Mark Wahlberg movie.. I don't even know what it's called.

Posts: 9 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: February 25, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Kevin Bacon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cannsage:
I'm actually going backwards. I'm a filmmaker, but recently experienced some luck with acting. got called for the new Mark Wahlberg movie.. I don't even know what it's called.

That's great. Best of luck with the movie!