home subscribe
Backstage.com    Message Board Homepage  Hop To Forum Categories  The Craft  Hop To Forums  Acting Methods and Approaches    What does orson wells take on acting mean
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What does orson wells take on acting mean Login/Join

Morgan Freeman
posted
An actor, said Orson Welles, creates a truthful performance by looking into his or her own character and selectively taking things away. “There is a villain in each of us, a murderer in each of us, a fascist in each of us, a saint in each of us, and the actor is the man or woman who can eliminate from himself those things which will interfere with that truth"..Could someone break it down for me ? what does he mean by eliminating from oneself those things that interfere with truth?

Posts: 126 | Location: Boston | Registered: March 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Marlon Brando
Picture of TRUTHTELLER59
posted Hide Post
We're all capable of being all of those things if we let go of our personal beliefs, stop judging, and don't censor ourselves.

Examples:

Meryl Streep and Michael J. Fox are totally Left winged Liberals but they have played very conservative characters convincingly ie. Margaret Thatcher and Alex Keaton. They didn't go "psssh. I'm not playing someone who's on the opposite end of the politcial spectrum."

Tom Hanks made us believe that he was gay in Philadelphia. He didn't go "I'm straight, yo. I can't play this."

Anthony Hopkins doesn't have a criminal record of killing and eating people, but we believed he did as Hannibal Lecter. He didn't go "I'd never do this in real life."

Posts: 2149 | Location: LA,CA | Registered: May 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Morgan Freeman
posted Hide Post
o ok thanks for breaking that down.As far as and actor's concerned how would one go about learning to let go of personal beliefs ? and be non judgemental ?

Posts: 126 | Location: Boston | Registered: March 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Marlon Brando
Picture of TRUTHTELLER59
posted Hide Post
Improv is meant to teach you how to not give a shit and to not censor yourself.

Or you can just plain adopt the attitude "f' yeah! Here's my chance to do something that I normally would not or could not do in real life!"

Posts: 2149 | Location: LA,CA | Registered: May 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Kevin Bacon
posted Hide Post
I've been struggling with this myself. And unfortunately the F off approach won't work with my ultra conservative grandparents, in laws and half of my closest friends. I'm personally fine with cursing as another character but I'm having a hard time saying yes to a show like breaking bad or justified. Even though I know people like those characters exist, and yet their still fictional roles. Just keeping certain projects away from certain people in my life does not seem practical.
Thoughts?

"Decide that you want it, more than you are afraid of it." Bill Cosby

Posts: 27 | Location: Washington DC | Registered: April 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glenn Close
posted Hide Post
Don't let others dictate your own personal choices. You'll be left trying to please everyone but yourself. If you're fine with it, go for it.

Posts: 286 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: August 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Morgan Freeman
posted Hide Post
" if we let go of our personal beliefs, stop judging, and don't censor ourselves. "

How does one go about letting go of all those things in your opinion truth ?

Marlon Brando
Picture of TRUTHTELLER59
posted Hide Post
I believe that you're free to have whatever opinions you want when you're NOT acting.

But as an actor, I think you have to understand BOTH sides of something.

I guess the best analogy would be if you're a CNN guy then you should also watch Fox News as much as you watch CNN.