home subscribe
Backstage.com    Message Board Homepage  Hop To Forum Categories  The Craft  Hop To Forums  Acting Methods and Approaches    American Academy of Dramatic Arts & American Conservatory Theatre
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

American Academy of Dramatic Arts & American Conservatory Theatre Login/Join

Kevin Bacon
posted
Hello!
Wondering if anyone had insight on the AADA Summer Intensive (5 week) program? As well as on the American Conservatory Theater 5-Week Core Skill intensive?

While I am taking classes weekly at my current studio, I am really feeling the need to get back into a more conservatory-type program…even if for only an intensive course (I just graduated college and cannot afford the additional debts I would acquire from a full-time program).

Anyways any information on these two programs specifically, as well as similar intensives, is greatly appreciated!

Posts: 5 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: August 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
AADA sucks! My waiter last night was a grad there.

American Conservatory Theater is prestigious and actually looks good on the resume.

Posts: 1415 | Location: LA,CA | Registered: May 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Kevin Bacon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TRUTHTELLER59:
AADA sucks! My waiter last night was a grad there.

American Conservatory Theater is prestigious and actually looks good on the resume.

Great to know, thank you!!

Posts: 5 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: August 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm not in the habit of asking my waiter what acting school he graduated from...

I went to The American Academy of Dramatic Arts in the late 2000s and absolutely thrived during my time there. The training was personal - the faculty was invested in the individual, pinpointing what tools might work best for you, assigning challenging roles to break you out of your bad habits. The summer program is the perfect place to remind yourself of your tools and give your skills a good tightening. The 5 week program includes acting, vocal production, voice and speech, movement, and an elective, I think. Class sizes are small, plus, you can't beat the location - there is nothing more motivating than training in an entertainment capital, period. The Academy just added an Industry Insight series where professionals come speak to the summer students and answer questions - it was really helpful!

Posts: 2 | Location: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: September 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Kevin Bacon
posted Hide Post
What I don't understand about AADA is, if its such a bad school, why have so many great actors gone there?? Adrian Brody, Danny DeVito, and Robert Redford have gone there and it even says on their imdb accounts that they did. How could such a bad school have such prominent alumni??

Posts: 3 | Location: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: October 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TIMEtoACT:
What I don't understand about AADA is, if its such a bad school, why have so many great actors gone there?? Adrian Brody, Danny DeVito, and Robert Redford have gone there and it even says on their imdb accounts that they did. How could such a bad school have such prominent alumni??

IT WAS a good school! Katherine Hepburn, Spencer Tracy, and Edward G. Robinson went there too WHEN IT WAS A GREAT SCHOOL!

Now they're an overpriced joke. It's run by people who really have no connection to the people who made the school legendary.

Why they suck:
-Most of what they teach is outdated and irrelevant
-They don't let you audition while you're there
-They don't teach the business side of acting, hence why many of their grads leave not knowing what to do.

Posts: 1415 | Location: LA,CA | Registered: May 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post