home subscribe
Backstage.com    Message Board Homepage  Hop To Forum Categories  The Craft  Hop To Forums  Acting Methods and Approaches    Any criticism of Meisner theory?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any criticism of Meisner theory? Login/Join

Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
If Meisner was the cure all for how to become a great or even just working actor then all of those acclaimed Oscar winning actors who were not trained in that system would never gotten there.

BTW Amo37, I guess if you claim I'm ill informed then it must be so. after all, who the hell are you???

Posts: 61 | Location: Huntington Beach | Registered: July 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Meisner is just one of the many ways of being truthful on both stage and screen yet it is one of the few techniques TODAY that has still proven to be effective and continues to be successfully taught even after Sandy's death.

The acclaimed Oscar winning actors let alone those working a ton all had years of some traditional training be it Meisner, Adler, Strasberg, Hagen, traditional Stanislavski, or even Chekhov.

For those who did not go to NYU, Yale, RADA, or Juilliard or any kind of BFA/MFA program like many of the greats, the traditional Meisner schools are probably the next best thing to that kind of training.

SEACREST OUT!

Posts: 1372 | Location: LA,CA | Registered: May 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Robert DeNiro
Picture of amo37
posted Hide Post
Jackie Chan, who the hell are you? I'm a middle aged studio and college educated union actor from the midwest who has actually gotten paid to act and sing on stage and screen in NYC and LA and around the country and the world. I'm not from this state, hence I have life and artistic experience outside this venue. Are you a Huntington Beach native?

You speak in generalities about Meisner technique, hence by your statements you appear as one who does not understand nor know anything about Meisner nor his technique. Ill informed is not a criticism. Just means, well, you aren't informed. If you were, you would not be so quick to judgment. We judge things we don't understand.

Posts: 521 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: January 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
I'm NOT impressed and here's a bulletin Mr. Authority, I studied with Sandy for two years at the Neighborhood Playhouse in NYC so I think I do something about the Meisner technique.

So it's my opinion that the full Meisner program is NOT necessary or that those trying to teach it are as qualified or as well equipped as Mr. Meisner.

You're entitled to your opinion, just don't make accusations about others that post when YOU don't know what you're talking about!

Posts: 61 | Location: Huntington Beach | Registered: July 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Kevin Bacon
posted Hide Post
Shut up, R.J.

Nobody owes you free advertising for your hack classes.

Truth has seen the light and moved on after wasting years with the likes of you.

None of the others that he doesn't recommend to beginners anymore are on here whining about it with four different usernames.

You weren't whining about it when he did recommend you.

Get over it.

Posts: 33 | Location: Off the chain | Registered: January 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Robert DeNiro
Picture of amo37
posted Hide Post
I think the fact that Mr. Alderson was taught by Meisner for 2 years in the 1960s and then was hand picked by Meisner to teach alongside Meisner at The Playhouse makes him more than qualifed. Mr. Alderson then became Director of the Playhouse for 20 years while Sandy was ill. Yea, I'd say that makes Mr. Alderson MORE than qualified to teach the technique, especially since he and Esper both taught alongside the man and was chosen by the man.
Bob Carnegie and Jeff Goldblum who run Playhouse West were both taught By Alderson. Carnegie then taught Franco. So, I guess Carnegie learned a thing or two from Alderson.

I think most of Alderson's and Esper's working students like Jeff Goldblum, Kim Basinger, Nestor Campbell, Luis Guzman, David Mamet, Allison Janney and countless other working actors would strongly disagree Alderson and Esper are unqualified. Especially since people like Jeff Goldblum studied with Sandy AND Alderson.

Obviously, you are full of it when it comes to doing the full 2 years with Sandy. The second year is completely different than the first, as it is all about interpretation and script analysis using Sandy's Golden Box. These are invaluable skills for any working actor.

Luis Guzman, Jon Voight (I've met them both) and countless others stress that it takes the full two years to learn the technique. I can tell you're a "shortcut" actor. And probably a clueless one at that. Thanks for your armchair quarterback comments and your misinformed opinions. Please stay in Huntington Beach. I don't want to work with "shortcut" actors. Thanks!

Posts: 521 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: January 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Kevin Bacon
posted Hide Post
Lots of quotes, but you left about four hundred others out that never studied Meisner..

Posts: 35 | Location: Redondo Beach | Registered: November 10, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Al Pacino
posted Hide Post
Given the age someone has to be to have trained with Meisner directly in NYC. I find it pretty hilarious that anyone here is both a.) That age b.) Being that stupid in an argument.

Posts: 763 | Location: New York | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Kevin Bacon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Syphus:
Given the age someone has to be to have trained with Meisner directly in NYC. I find it pretty hilarious that anyone here is both a.) That age b.) Being that stupid in an argument.

Oh, wow. What an arrogant a++hole. Lighten up and show some respect.

Just so you'll sound a little more educated, Meisner taught at the NB in NYC until 1990.

Posts: 35 | Location: Redondo Beach | Registered: November 10, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Kevin Bacon
posted Hide Post
quote:
I loved Steve and think what he teaches can be a useful tool. I am glad it's in my box for if I get a last second rewrite AFTER I have done all the other invisible work. But it is just one tool. A dayplayer level tool if it's all you know.

Completely agree.

Posts: 18 | Location: Burbank | Registered: May 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Al Pacino
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by skybyrd:
quote:

Just so you'll sound a little more educated, Meisner taught at the NB in NYC until 1990.

Yes, thank you for helping to prove my point. That means anyone studying with Meisner in New York would at the very least be in their early 40s.

I pity anyone who is in their 40s, yet is using such childish arguments as some of the ones found here. (amo, I'm clearly not talking about you).

Posts: 763 | Location: New York | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Robert DeNiro
Picture of amo37
posted Hide Post
Hmmm mmmm

Morgan Freeman
posted Hide Post
So Meisner Technique...

Posts: 120 | Location: LA | Registered: August 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Kevin Bacon
posted Hide Post
Syphus, no need to pity me. I've enjoyed a very lucrative career as an actor which still continues to this day. You should be so luck when get to be my age.

Kevin Bacon
posted Hide Post
Oh, oh, oh, R.J.'s whinin' http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MVplfdNC6E&feature=kp

Butthurt would be more descriptive, but it doesn't sound as good. Lyin' works, too.

Posts: 33 | Location: Off the chain | Registered: January 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GR81
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by skybyrd:
quote:

Just so YOU sound a little more educated, Sandy moved to L.A. in 1987. He went right to Playhouse West to conduct his classes because he already shared a close relationship with Robert Carnegie.

Who told you that stuff? Why do people make this stuff up? Whom ever gave you your facts taught you badly, it's not your fault.

Posts: 6 | Location: Eugene | Registered: May 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Russell Crowe
Picture of 108
posted Hide Post
The word 'technique' comes from the word 'technology.' And like any technology it has to keep up with the times or it becomes obsolete. When Sanford Meisner taught, his technique was modern, like a good land-line phone. Today people need smart cell phones and the best acting techniques developed by great teachers of today.

It's past time for acting students to move on from old school thinking and techniques and get the best modern teaching. Obstinately clinging to old stuff is a drag.

Uta Hagen, Lee Strasberg, Stella, Sanford Meisner and others were such iconic teachers that today a lot of teachers continue to teach their techniques. Schools and actual degree programs have been set up based on their teachings and names. Ones like the Lee Strasberg Institute or the Stella Adler Academy. They are terribly expensive and very few working actors are produced by them. None of the original teachers set up institutions like those named after them.

In fact I don't think too many great actors who are taught and rely on those techniques get very far at all. In the past yes, but not today.

Also, learning an acting technique from the great teacher who developed the technique is the best person to learn it from. As soon as you learn the same technique from another teacher there is a step-down in quality. When a whole generation or more of time passes from the original teacher the technique becomes passé at best. Why bother with that when there are fabulous teachers who developed much more contemporary techniques that have an intimate relation to today's film, television and Stage.

Why would I ever consider learning from a distant hand-me-down teacher teaching techniques originated by Sanford Meisner when there are teachers like Larry Moss to learn from today? If Sanford Meisner reincarnated today he would greatly modify his teachings to fulfill today's standards. Great teachers do not remain stagnant over time. But when they die their teachings do.

I personally would avoid any teacher or school that teaches techniques taught by teachers who have died and are now gone, no matter how great those teachers were when they were alive. The current track record of those schools and teachers speaks for itself. The students of those schools don't book too much work. Those teachers, who created those techniques, have been dead for a long time and the vibrant life that they knew how to instill into students died with them to a large extent. And the more time that goes by the more irrelevant those techniques become.

Sometimes schools and teachers that teach those old techniques proclaim that a current movie star was trained by them. What they don't say is the movie star is quite old now and learned by the masters themselves. The younger stars may have started at those schools but stopped training there and moved on to teachers who taught techniques that have kept up with the ever changing dynamic of today's cinema.

I have audited classes where students did that Meisner repetition exercise where they repeated the same line back and forth to each other over and over dozens of times. It was nauseating to watch. It was torture to sit there and the first chance I got I escaped out the back door for fresh air and to keep from dying. He developed other acting exercises that some teachers use too that are just as awful. For me it is agonizing to watch that type of teaching and it is a slow miserable death to be subjected to it.

I think new actors should completely forget all that old stuff. They should find the best teachers today, who have developed successful techniques of their own, of this generation, who have a track records of cranking out working and award winning actors from their classes.

Larry Moss does that, Ivana Chubbuck does that. Other teachers do that. Larry Moss actually studied with Meisner himself but Larry never teaches those old tired exercises. He knows that techniques for film, TV, stage and life must adapt and keep up with the times.

If this post doesn't piss off a lot of people I must be losing my touch.

Posts: 208 | Location: Beverly Hills | Registered: September 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
Yes and Larry Moss actually got kicked out of the program by Meisner himself...because according to Meisner he couldn't 'get' it..

quote:
Originally posted by 108:
Larry Moss actually studied with Meisner himself but Larry never teaches those old tired exercises. He knows that techniques for film, TV, stage and life must adapt and keep up with the times.

If this post doesn't piss off a lot of people I must be losing my touch.

Posts: 36 | Location: Worldwide | Registered: July 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Russell Crowe
Picture of 108
posted Hide Post
I didn't know that. I only know what Larry told us.

But thank goodness that happened.

Posts: 208 | Location: Beverly Hills | Registered: September 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
Sucks that Larry Moss doesn't teach regular classes and only coaches celebs or only does masterclasses with long ass waiting lists.

It also sucks that he has NO worthy disciples either.

Posts: 136 | Location: Santa Monica, CA | Registered: June 19, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post