home subscribe
Backstage.com    Message Board Homepage  Hop To Forum Categories  The Craft  Hop To Forums  Acting Methods and Approaches    Best places to study in Los Angeles?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best places to study in Los Angeles? Login/Join

posted Hide Post
I really like the Elizabeth Mestnick Acting Studio on Melrose Ave. Elizabeth knows her stuff and she is part of the old school New York style of teaching aka No bullsh*t, straight to the point. Definitely worth an audit.

Posts: 2 | Location: North Hollywood | Registered: October 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Posted October 27, 2012 01:01 AM Hide Post
I really like the Elizabeth Mestnik Acting Studio on Melrose Ave. Elizabeth knows her stuff and she is part of the old school New York style of teaching aka No bullsh*t, straight to the point. Definitely worth an audit.

Posts: 2 | Location: North Hollywood | Registered: October 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi everyone,
I, too, am an actor just starting out. But I have dedicated a good while to my training and taking classes that would help me hone my craft. I took a 2 year professional Meisner technique class at the Elizabeth Mestnik Acting Studio out in L.A. Currently, I am taking scene study at the very same studio and it has been such an amazing transition into applying what I have learned.
The scene study class at EMAS helps develop all the tools in your toolbox while tempering the use of them to make ones understanding of a scene make all your technique and hard work seem effortless and invisible.
Elizabeth also helps refine your auditioning technique by doing cold reads and mock auditions every few weeks.
Check her out:
www.emasla.com/

Posts: 1 | Location: California | Registered: October 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TRUTHTELLER59:
Here are some books that I've read. The starred ones are the ones that are my favorites:

*=highly recommend

Acting business:
*Self Management for Actors-Bonnie Gillespie
*How to Be a Working Actor-Mari Lyn Henry and Lynne Rogers
*An Agent Tells All-Tony Martinez
-Acting is Everything: Gold Edition-Judy Kerr
-How to Get Arrested-J. Wallach Michael and Paul Thurwachter
-How To Book Acting Jobs in TV and Film-Cathy Reinking
-One Less Bitter Actor: The Actor's Survival Guide-Markus Flanagan
-So You Want to Be in Showbusiness?- Steve R. Stevens
-Acting Truths and Lies (purchased at www.info4actors.com)

Acting:
*Book the Job-Doug Warhit
*Intent to Live-Larry Moss
*How to Stop Acting-Harold Guskin
-Acting for the Camera-Tony Barr
-Acting in Film-Michael Caine
-Acting Class: Take a Seat-Milton Katselas

Method Acting:
*Art of Acting-Stella Adler
*Actor's Art and Craft-William Esper
-Sanford Meisner on Acting-Sanford Meisner
-A Dream of Passion-Lee Strasberg
-On the Technique of Acting-Michael Chekhov
-The Power of the Actor-Ivanna Chubbuck
-No Acting Please-Eric Morris
-Respect for Acting-Uta Hagen
-Challenge to the Actor-Uta Hagen
-You Can Act!-D.W. Brown
-Strasberg’s Method-Lorrie Hull

Comedy
*8 Characters of Comedy-Scott Sedita
-The Sitcom Career Book-Mary Lou Belli

Improv
-Anything by Viola Spolin
-Steve Book on Acting: Improv
-Improvise: Scene from the Inside Out-Mick Napier

Auditioning/Cold Reading:
*How to Get the Part Without Falling Apart-Margie Haber
*Audition-Michael Shurtleff
*The 15 Guideline Map to Booking-Amy Lyndon
-The Best of You-Craig Wallace
-Secrets to Successful Cold Readings-Glenn Alterman

This is a Great List, very helpful! Thank you! Smiler

Joleen

Posts: 1 | Location: Hollywood, California | Registered: November 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are so many places to study in LA. Finding the right place for you can seem completely overwhelming. When I moved out here from NYC for work I didn't know what direction to go in.

I had heard about the big teachers Ivanna, Lesley and Margie but they are set up so you need to work into there classes.

I then heard Jen Krater, former owner of Sally Johnson studios in New York had relocated. I knew how amazing the actors who studied there w
Are from working on set and haven't looked back

They have free classes every month. It's all on camera. Really intense, but so worth it!

Posts: 1 | Location: La | Registered: December 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I strongly recommend Marjo-Riikka Makela at Chekhov Studio International & Theater of Arts.
Very individualized training, incredible results, and her heart is in the right place!

Posts: 1 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: December 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Auditioning:
NFB=NOT for beginners

-Annie Grindlay-NFB
-Saxon Trainor
-Margie Haber (Herself)-NFB
-Tess Kirsch
-Tim Phillips-NFB
-Stan Kirsch-NFB
-Jamison Haase
-Robert D'Avanzo
-Christinna Chauncey-NFB
-Caryn West-NFB
-Billy O'Leary-NFB
-Ken Lerner

Commercials
-Killian McHugh
-Hey, I Saw Your Commercial!
-Megan Foley/Chuck Marra
-Stuart K. Robinson
-Francine Selkirk-Akerman/Judy Kain
-Carolyne Barry
-Porter Kelly
-Chris Game

Improv
-Groundlings
-Second City
-Upright Citizens Brigade
-Improv Olympic

Scene Study/Technique
*=on camera oriented or scenes recorded
NFB=NOT for beginners
M=Meisner Based
A=Adler or Imagination based
S=Strasberg/Uta Hagen Based
T=Traditional Stanislavsky
C=Chekhov
W=Whatever works for you

-Aaron Speiser-W
-Aquilla/Morong Studios-A
-Alan Feinstein-M
-Alderson Studios-M
-Berg Studios-T
-Carter/Thor-W
-Diana Castle-A
-Doug Warhit-*W
-Elizabeth Mestnik-M
-Eric Morris-S
-Harry Mastrogeorge-A
-Jill Place-S
-Joanne Baron/D.W. Brown-M
-Joseph Pearlman-W
-Laura Gardner (Howard Fine)-S
-Marjorie Ballentine-A
-Marjo-Rikka Makela-C
-Playhouse West-M
-Robert Lyons-A
-Ron Burrus-A
-Ruskin School-M
-Sanford Meisner Center-M
-Sanford Meisner Studio-M
-Stella Adler School-A
-Vinnie Guastafero-W
-Warner Loughlin-A

Film Acting/On-Camera:
-Actors Workshop
-Brad Greenquist
-Clay Banks
-David Kagen-NFB
-Jen Krater Studios
-Steve Eastin-NFB

Cold Reading Practice:
-Amy Lyndon

Comedy:
NFB=NOT for beginners
*=On camera
-Lesly Kahn-NFB
-Jackie Geary*
-Actors Comedy Studio

Posts: 1372 | Location: LA,CA | Registered: May 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I take a Television / Film class with Jon Simmons at Simmons and Scott in Burbank. Excellent class to take. You can simply google him. He discovered and taught people like Chad Michael Murry (One Tree Hill, House of Wax), Max Greenfield (New Girl), Kat Graham (Vampire Diaries) Charlie Barnett (Chicago Fire) and many more. He has a Wikipedia page for your research.

He teaches a wonderful approach and prepares you for getting the job. Can get you going and ready to audition quickly.

Known for really breaking in actors.

Posts: 1 | Location: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: March 14, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am currently taking a REALLY great acting class with Jeff Seymour at Connect Studios. I find it to be one of the best acting classes I've ever taken and he gets amazing work out of everybody using his no-nonsense approach. Check out the Connect Studios website, because for a limited time you can even come check him out for free to see what I mean. 5 STAR!!!!

Posts: 1 | Location: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: March 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
Tract-"Because for a limited time" your post sounds like a shill.
If I'm wrong, I'll admit it, but ONE post a brand new profile, and that's the only thing you have to say.
What other classes that you've taken would you recommend? Hmmm? None? Oh, why is that?

At least VoyagerLA's brand new profile and brand new post offers the information in a less pushy, less shilling fashion.

People-If the teachers are great, there's no need to do the hard sell. Simply say "google him" or "read her reviews on Yelp" and the research will take care of the rest.

Truth's list is pretty comprehensive, broken down by category/type of studying and includes both the big boys and some of the more boutique type studios. You can't go wrong on that list.

Posts: 25 | Location: Atlanta (9 years in LA) | Registered: August 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Cold Reading/Auditioning:
-Annie Grindlay
-Saxon Trainor
-Tess Kirsch
-Margie Haber (Herself)
-Robert D'Avanzo
-Amy Lyndon
-Holly Powell

Commercials
-Killian McHugh
-Chris Game
-Stuart K. Robinson
-Stuart Stone
-Francine Selkirk-Akerman
-Carolyne Barry

Improv
-Groundlings
-Second City
-Improv Olympic

Scene Study/Acting (NO PARTICULAR ORDER! It varies. Some schools are not for everyone. Chubbuck and Howard Fine are not for people who aren't fans of Strasberg or Uta Hagen (ie. affective memory and substitution.) Playhouse West,Elizabeth Mestnik Joanne Baron/DW Brown, and Acting Corps are more Meisner oriented. Try to audit these places and make sure if they're for you or not.)

-Stan Kirsch*
-Doug Warhit*
-Carter Thor*
-Jen Krater Studios*
-David Kagen*
-Warner Loughlin
-Marjo-Rikka Makela
-Steve Eastin*
-RJ Adams (Actors Workshop)*
-Ron Burrus
-Stephen Book
-Diana Castle
-Howard Fine
-Stella Adler
-Ivanna Chubbuck
-Elizabeth Mestnik
-Joanne Baron/D.W. Brown
-Clay Banks*
-Jeremiah Comey*
-Marjorie Ballentine
-Playhouse West
-Aaron Speiser
-Acting Corps
-Anthony Meindl

Comedy:
-Lesly Kahn

Quote: " Try to audit these places and make sure if they're for you or not "

Good advice, though some on the list don't allow audits or offer paid audits only, but checking out any class before signing up makes sense.

Posts: 63 | Location: LA, CA | Registered: October 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Henderson:
quote:
Cold Reading/Auditioning:
-Annie Grindlay
-Saxon Trainor
-Tess Kirsch
-Margie Haber (Herself)
-Robert D'Avanzo
-Amy Lyndon
-Holly Powell

Commercials
-Killian McHugh
-Chris Game
-Stuart K. Robinson
-Stuart Stone
-Francine Selkirk-Akerman
-Carolyne Barry

Improv
-Groundlings
-Second City
-Improv Olympic

Scene Study/Acting (NO PARTICULAR ORDER! It varies. Some schools are not for everyone. Chubbuck and Howard Fine are not for people who aren't fans of Strasberg or Uta Hagen (ie. affective memory and substitution.) Playhouse West,Elizabeth Mestnik Joanne Baron/DW Brown, and Acting Corps are more Meisner oriented. Try to audit these places and make sure if they're for you or not.)

-Stan Kirsch*
-Doug Warhit*
-Carter Thor*
-Jen Krater Studios*
-David Kagen*
-Warner Loughlin
-Marjo-Rikka Makela
-Steve Eastin*
-RJ Adams (Actors Workshop)*
-Ron Burrus
-Stephen Book
-Diana Castle
-Howard Fine
-Stella Adler
-Ivanna Chubbuck
-Elizabeth Mestnik
-Joanne Baron/D.W. Brown
-Clay Banks*
-Jeremiah Comey*
-Marjorie Ballentine
-Playhouse West
-Aaron Speiser
-Acting Corps
-Anthony Meindl

Comedy:
-Lesly Kahn

Quote: " Try to audit these places and make sure if they're for you or not "

Good advice, though some on the list don't allow audits or offer paid audits only, but checking out any class before signing up makes sense.

out of the list of "on-camera' workshops I say the best are Doug Warhit, R.J. Adams (Actors Workshop) and Steve Eastin. Adams and Eastin are both working film actors.

Posts: 61 | Location: Huntington Beach | Registered: July 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here's the latest:

Auditioning:

NFB=NOT for beginners

-Annie Grindlay-NFB
-Billy O’Leary-NFB
-Caryn West-NFB
-Christinna Chauncey-NFB
-Jamison Haase
-Ken Lerner
-Margie Haber (Herself)-NFB
-Robert D’Avanzo
-Saxon Trainor
-Stan Kirsch-NFB
-Tess Kirsch
-Tim Phillips-NFB

Commercials
-Carolyne Barry
-Chris Game
-Francine Selkirk-Akerman/Judy Kain
-Killian McHugh
-Megan Foley/Chuck Marra
-Porter Kelly
-Stuart K. Robinson

Improv
-Groundlings
-Second City
-Improv Olympic

Scene Study/Technique
NFB=NOT for beginners
M=Meisner Based
A=Adler or Imagination based
S=Strasberg/Uta Hagen Based
T=Traditional Stanislavsky
C=Chekhov
W=Whatever works for you

-Aaron Speiser-W
-Aquilla/Morong Studios-A
-Alan Feinstein-M
-Alderson Studios-M
-Berg Studios-T
-Beverly Hills Playhouse-W
-Brad Heller-W
-Carter/Thor-W
-Diana Castle-A
-Doug Warhit-*W
-Elizabeth Mestnik-M
-Eric Morris-S
-Harry Mastrogeorge-A
-Jill Place-S
-Joanne Baron/D.W. Brown-M
-Joseph Pearlman-W
-Laura Gardner (Howard Fine)-S
-Marjorie Ballentine-A
-Marjo-Rikka Makela-C
-Playhouse West-M
-Robert Lyons-A
-Ron Burrus-A
-Ruskin School-M
-Sanford Meisner Center-M
-Sanford Meisner Studio-M
-Sharon Chatten-S
-Stella Adler School-A
-Vinnie Guastafero-W
-Warner Loughlin-A

Film Acting/On-Camera:
-Actors Workshop
-Brad Greenquist
-Clay Banks
-David Kagen-NFB
-Jen Krater Studios
-Steve Eastin-NFB

Cold Reading Practice:
-Amy Lyndon

Comedy:
NFB=NOT for beginners
*=On camera
-Lesly Kahn-NFB
-Jackie Geary*
-Actors Comedy Studio

Posts: 1372 | Location: LA,CA | Registered: May 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
TT59, you appear to know many of the forementioned coaches. How many and who on the list have you actually studied with?

Posts: 51 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: April 28, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This list has been based on interviewing fellow working actors and where they studied, and of course, I myself, have either audited or studied first hand with some of these teachers.

And a disclaimer, some of the schools listed are more "Superficial Guru" schools that look good in the eyes of agents and CDs notably Ivana Chubbuck and Howard Fine.

Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
quote:
This list has been based on interviewing fellow working actors and where they studied, and of course, I myself, have either audited or studied first hand with some of these teachers.

And a disclaimer, some of the schools listed are more "Superficial Guru" schools that look good in the eyes of agents and CDs notably Ivana Chubbuck and Howard Fine.

I appreciate all of your very insightful suggestions and opinions on this blog. Keep up the good work and thank you.

Posts: 51 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: April 28, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sean Penn
Picture of Nicknackk
posted Hide Post
Beverly Hills Playhouse is one of the most respected acting schools in Los Angeles

Posts: 143 | Location: LA | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
I see Jackie Geary is a new audition to your list under comedy. Could you tell us a little bit more about her? I love to hear about new comedy coaches.

Posts: 31 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: October 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by actormanactor:
I see Jackie Geary is a new audition to your list under comedy. Could you tell us a little bit more about her? I love to hear about new comedy coaches.

She teaches the comedy side at LA On Camera Training Center. She's a working actor and has a unique approach to comedy scripts that I haven't seen anywhere else. She does a $5 intro class that's worth checking out.

posted Hide Post
While I'm not familiar with HB Studios in NYC, I did get my BFA from NYU's Tisch School of the Arts and have now been in LA for over seven years. In my opinion, Carolyne Barry Creative is the first place any actor in LA should go for classes!

While Carolyne Barry is best known for her commercial classes, she also offers quite an impressive selection of other classes - all taught by some of the best teachers in LA. Not only are her classes great, Carolyne Barry herself is an excellent guide and ally to have in this industry.

Generally, classes are 8-12 weeks long and are very affordable (usually less than $50/class – VERY competitive pricing for the quality of work). Plus, she often has financial work study programs for students who need it. The classes are generally held in North Hollywood or other parts of The Valley.

Here’s a (hopefully helpful) break down of the classes I’ve taken and highly recommend:

Beginning Commercial Class: An excellent starting point! The class has students who range from brand new to seasoned pros. While it’s clearly geared towards commercials, the class also helps you to narrow in on your “type”, teaches you how to present and prepare yourself for auditions of every kind, and gives you the basics of how the Industry works. Carolyne's technique is very useful and she has a ton of insight as to how the commercial industry works.
I think i's worth it to note that I was sent to this class by a commercial agent who liked my look but wanted me to have that extra edge that only Carolyne can teach. Apparently, that agent sends many of her clients to Carolyne, because Carolyne’s classes produce actors who get jobs. I’m so glad I followed her advice!

Suzanne Sena Entertainment Hosting Level I - I loved this class! Similar to the commercial class I took, it worked for all levels of experience. For the brand-new-to-the-industry students, it seemed to help them find their “type” and taught some of crucial entertainment know- how and etiquette (for auditioning, etc.). For those of us with more experience but new to hosting, it served as an excellent beginners course, allowing us to dip our feet into each type of hosting (reality, talk show, infomercial, etc.), finding what suited and spoke to us. Plus with highly successful, WORKING teachers, I was confident I was in good hands and getting relevant and useful information. I plan on taking the Level II class ASAP!

Intro to Performance Improv - With the array of competing Improv schools in LA, this class, taught by veteran improv actor Donovan Scott, is an excellent, low pressure foundation class. It’s a ton of fun and a great way to get comfortable with the improv technique and performing in general. I often recommend this class to people who are interested in getting into acting but don’t know where to start, since improv is pretty much the basis of all acting.

Advanced Scene Study with Joshua Bitton– This scene study class is one of the best out there! No joke, studying with Josh changed my life! He is a real gem of a teacher and one of the best kept secrets in LA. After graduating cum laude with a BFA in theater from NYU’s Tisch School of the Arts, Josh surprised me by reigniting a passion and appreciation for acting I hadn’t realized I’d lost. The class is an excellent way to constantly be stretching those acting muscles with pretty advanced scene work (generally from plays) with other very dedicated, very hard working actors. The class is heavy on script analysis, which is an invaluable skill in an industry where you sometimes only get your script an hour before an audition.

The Meisner Technique – After being blown away by the scene study class with Joshua Bitton, I decided to take the two year Meisner Training Program he offers through Carolyne Barry Creative. Boy, am I happy I did! I often tell people that I left theater school feeling like I had acquired a bunch of useful tools as an actress, but not necessarily the instruction manual for how to use them when preparing for a role. The Meisner technique IS that instruction manual for me. Again, Josh is an incredibly gifted and inspiring teacher. Two years sounds intense, and it is, but in the end so very, very worth it.

As I mentioned, Carolyne offers a whole array of other classes, too, so I'm guessing you can find pretty much anything you're looking for. And she's just generally an excellent resource to have in this industry. I hope this has been helpful - I cannot recommend Carolyne's classes enough! Smiler

Posts: 2 | Location: LOS ANGELES | Registered: February 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post