home subscribe
Backstage.com    Message Board Homepage  Hop To Forum Categories  The Craft  Hop To Forums  Acting Methods and Approaches    How to be more open to other peoples emotions as and actor ?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How to be more open to other peoples emotions as and actor ? Login/Join

Morgan Freeman
posted
im and aspiring actor who was getting focused on perfecting my artistry .One area that i noticed that i need work on is .Learning to allow myself to feel the different emotions of the characters im portraying i notice some of the best actors .Don't have a problem allowing themselves to be open to their characters expereinces and emotions .I want to be a character actor similar to greats like brando but i dont want to be stifled by my own personal ego .I want to be more open to experience the wide range of emotiosn that humanity experiences as i inhabit each character i play.How do i lose that inhibition so that i may be free to experience any and all emotions of other persons ?

Posts: 126 | Location: Boston | Registered: March 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I work on this whenever I get the chance. Very liberating. Let me know if you're in NYC and we can do some exercises together.

Posts: 2 | Location: Brooklyn Heights, NYC | Registered: February 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Marlon Brando
Picture of TRUTHTELLER59
posted Hide Post
Definitely take an improv class so you can learn to stop being inhibited.

Also, emotions are NOT to be forced nor planned. If you're actively listening and taking all concentration off of yourself and onto the other person, your emotions should NATURALLY happen. Regardless of what method you are, the greats like Denzel, Freeman, Walken, Duvall to name a few all say LISTENING in their interviews.

A great exercise for getting natural emotions is get a big book of monologues and record yourself cold reading with your webcam. DON'T read any of the monologues in advance. For this exercise, don't care about what the scene is about and don't worry about those silly academic stuff like objectives etc. Right when the camera records, look down to get your first line, let it affect you, and then say it into the camera. Then look down at your next line or thought, grab as much as you can, and say it to the camera based on how you feel after reading it. Do this throughout. If you have to take a long time to look at the line and say it up to the camera, don't worry. Any emotion that comes up, allow it to happen. Don't worry about "what should happen". When you're done, watch your recording. You'll probably see your best NATURAL acting ever.

Or if you have a friend who also wants to work on this grab any kind of two person scene. Doesn't matter what it is. DON'T look at it in advance. Look at eachother with the script fave down and then turn it over. Do the same thing with the monologue exercise above. Don't worry about long pauses or "what's my next line?". When they're talking, your eyes are on them. When you're saying each line, your eyes are on them. Don't say a line or thought until you can say it looking at them. If you're truly listening and reacting off eachother, emotions that you might never expect might happen. Maybe a tragic scene might organically turn into a funny scene or a comedic scene might turn onto a serious one. Don't try to fight it. I sometimes practice with a friend over Skype when physically getting together is not convenient.

Posts: 2133 | Location: LA,CA | Registered: May 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Morgan Freeman
posted Hide Post
Ok thanks for the advice truthteller .I'm going to try that you seem to know quite a bit .If you wouldn't mind id like to get a outside opinion of my progress.If i can find a way to post up a link to the video i make.I'd like to get your opinion of how i am doing .

Posts: 126 | Location: Boston | Registered: March 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Morgan Freeman
posted Hide Post
SWH what part of nyc you from ive only been to manhatten mostly midtown and lower manhatten.Let me know id love to meet up and do improv with you .If you'd like i could leave a email address or if u have skype we could chat on there .Get to know each other more before meeting up .

posted Hide Post
JLine I'm in Brooklyn Heights. I just joined up today and didn't see the location box underneath each post. Since you live in Boston I don't think it would be advantageous for us to meet up as I'm looking for someone who lives here so we could work together often.
Sorry man, I'm sure there'll be someone up near you who you might work with.

Posts: 2 | Location: Brooklyn Heights, NYC | Registered: February 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Morgan Freeman
posted Hide Post
i make trips to nyc its 3 hours away from me .Maybe it wouldnt be often but maybe we could still improv when i travel out that way

Sean Penn
Picture of Natural-Gift
posted Hide Post
I think the real answer is just learning to make an ass of yourself and not care what anybody think's. people who are stuck up can never be a good actor. you have to just not try to be cool.

Posts: 52 | Location: Sydney ,New South Wales | Registered: March 28, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Truthteller, thanks so much for that monologue suggestion. I've done the 2 person version of that exercise and I've found it's been hard for me to get together with other actors outside of class to practice, and somehow it never occurred to me to try monologue cold reads into a camera. Awesome tip!

Posts: 19 | Location: Los Angeles CA | Registered: March 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post