home subscribe
Backstage.com    Message Board Homepage  Hop To Forum Categories  The Craft  Hop To Forums  Acting Methods and Approaches    Should I keep being an actor?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Should I keep being an actor? Login/Join

posted
I have been acting for about 15 years.
However, whenever I take a break for lack of roles (i have a multiethnic look) or monetary (classes are expensive) I go through this weird process. Whenever I do a scene, and you have reach down deep to expose yourself emotionally,it always feels like a scab that's almost healed being ripped open again and then when I act more, it's fine. Is this normal?

If I really was an actor, wouldn't it be easier to get in character?

Thanks.

Posts: 5 | Location: Texas | Registered: November 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Anthony Hopkins
posted Hide Post
You say it's like ripping a scab off... that doesn't sound fun. My question would be: Why would you keep doing it?

My general advice on this question is: If there is any question in your mind, if you can imagine yourself doing anything else, do something other then acting?

Posts: 714 | Location: Hollywood, CA | Registered: August 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've thought about doing other things and tried them.
I even took a career test and all my other career options didn't feel as satisfactory.

The only other thing I can think of is working in development.
and im considering that currently.

I really enjoy the art of putting a character together and performing a great scene.
but I have some acting friends but I find most actors annoying.

Posts: 5 | Location: Texas | Registered: November 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Morgan Freeman
posted Hide Post
It's easier to someone whos always practicing .Its called mastery ,theres no breaks from acting you always have to do it .Like a sports athlete they always have to be training and working out .It's the homework your doing when your not working .That makes it easier when it comes time to actually do the work .Alot of actors are lazy evne the professional ones .They treat acting like its a job.Not a passion if your truly passionate about what you do .Your always doing it even on your time off.

Also if your having doubts on whether you should still be and actor .Maybe acting isnt for you and you should go find something your truly passionate about.

Posts: 126 | Location: Boston | Registered: March 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Also if your having doubts on whether you should still be and actor .Maybe acting isnt for you and you should go find something your truly passionate about."

I ended up really considering those things and I ended up meeting with another actor over a scene we're both in and the thing I came away with- why aren't I working more? granted I look multi ethnic and Im not entirely a great performer (singer,dancer) so I cant do a lot of theater-
but I can do film and commercials. I just got an extension run on a commercial I did back in august! so its gonna be on the air longer!

so maybe theater isn't my thing-but got work where it counts!!

and yea its hard for me to get back into acting- but when the train starts it keeps going!!
so more acting classes for me!!

Morgan Freeman
posted Hide Post
a acting teacher in L.A told me that i had a multi ethnic look.I could play a range of ethnics ,its all about feeling out what works and what doesn't work.All the best to you and wish the best in your future sucesses. Just keep your head up eyes on the prize and dont deviate all the those doubts will disappear

Posts: 126 | Location: Boston | Registered: March 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Just keep your head up eyes on the prize and dont deviate all the those doubts will disappear."

right it's just not an easy career.
I think I need to work on my look as well-the more options you give yourself, the better off you will be...you don't want to seem generic, but you only get what you give.
so its like any art piece-something that makes a individual statement about who you are but also something thats very wide appealing and familiar.

Morgan Freeman
posted Hide Post
if your aim is being a movie star than focus on the look if your aim is to be and actor.Focus on the acting dont worry about the look.Only time look should come into play is when your doing your characterization.

posted Hide Post
"f your aim is being a movie star than focus on the look if your aim is to be and actor.Focus on the acting dont worry about the look.Only time look should come into play is when your doing your characterization."

that doesn't make any sense.
I've done casting for short films and it comes down to one thing-
DO you know who you are?
What you get cast for?
What do you want to say as an artist? (who you are,what do you want to get cast for even if its not about you as a individual but what do you want to want to simply express or could see yourself expressing even if its not directly emotional)
you have to know these things.

this video has Dustin Hoffman stating that so many great actors fall by the wayside and from the casting side- i think it really has to do with artists/actors simply not knowing the cultural landscape and where they fit in and thinking getting work is some kind of magical land where they have no control. well, you at least can have the option to have an idea..thats better than nothing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_T-Jj1gKzs

Sean Penn
Picture of Natural-Gift
posted Hide Post
Hi , im sorry you feel that way and i hope you find inspiration soon. Maybe you dont need a career change but possibly you might like directing as well as acting? or there might be somethng else. Sometimes you can try thing's like that (:

Posts: 52 | Location: Sydney ,New South Wales | Registered: March 28, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Morgan Freeman
posted Hide Post
@ classic actor: what your talking is marketing type.It has nothing to do with being and artist artists dont have types . They just do what they do while other people label them. Movie stars are known for there name and primarily .It all comes down to marketing acting in film is a business not and art form .I take it your a young idealist,you cant take from experience when all you've done is short films ;your still green.Actors who are dedicated get put into types .The very act of being able to express themselves period is the point .The image is something they dont worry about as well as type .

Hilary Swank
posted Hide Post
You should keep doing it.
From what I learned so far,
I think acting is imitation. The pain is not and should not be real, if it were, actors would get out of character harder and a gunshot would be real.
Just go to a community college and always work at the skill. Classes there are cheap and free.

ActorinLa.com

Posts: 243 | Location: Hollywood | Registered: March 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is a question that almost all actors ask themselves from time to time. Don't feel bad about that. The acting business is much tougher than we anticipated.

Most working actors, other than the top 2% in the actors' union SAG-AFTRA, have to supplement their income with other kinds of work.

It's only our deep love for acting which keeps us going. Wanting to make money or achieve stardom isn't enough to sustain us in the face of how hard it is to get an agent, get a manager, get a good audition, or get a job.

Actors need to do two things forever:

1) keep developing their ability to truly move their audience by expressing their deepest and most private, unique selves in every role they do;
2) be terrific at the business of marketing and selling the unique contribution they make to every role they do.

No one else in the other arts pursues a career in the way actors do. Musicians, writers, dancers, singers and painters all know that they need to keep developing their craft forever if they want to succeed professionally.

The surprise to many of us is how much we have to do business-wise. And, how creative we have to be.
We are like the CEO's of our own company. And, we are in sales. The techniques for marketing yourself are the same as any business and can be found in any good marketing book. (Those people who teach actors how to market themselves in Los Angeles are using those same ideas, adapting them to the acting profession.)

There are few rules to creating success in the business.

A salesperson may make 100 phone calls and get one POSSIBLE response which MIGHT lead to a sale. We, as actors, need to have the same mentality.

Find a good mentor, coach, teacher,or acting classes. Los Angeles has over a thousand acting teachers and coaches. Make sure you work with an acting coach who will tell you the truth about your acting strengths and weaknesses; one who doesn't teach gimmicks or formulas to market themselves to people who are only "dreaming" of fame and fortune without doing the necessary work to achieve their dreams.

Actors who do the right things CAN get somewhere. But, we all have to be consistent, persistent and honest with ourselves over the long term.

There's more to it than we thought!

david@davidkagen.com

Posts: 8 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: July 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post