New
Find
Notify
Tools

dpm talent Login/Join

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by makemefamous:
I really don't get why you have waited so long to take at least one commercial class. It seems like it would make things easier on you to take one so it can go on your resume with your other training. If you wrote something to that effect that's fine but it still doesn't make sense since most people start with a commercial class or take it pretty quickly after they arrive in LA.

5 years in LA and sucks at cold reading? Hmm...

Posts: 1868 | Location: LA,CA | Registered: May 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am currently repped by dpm. I wanted to add to this discussion that as a woman, Daniel has been nothing but nice to me and was enthusiastic about signing me. However, I have had very few auditions and am starting to look elsewhere. I don't love his personality - if he were getting me out on auditions I wouldn't really care.

Posts: 3 | Location: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: July 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Al Pacino
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Katherine Hepburn:
I am currently repped by dpm. I wanted to add to this discussion that as a woman, Daniel has been nothing but nice to me and was enthusiastic about signing me. However, I have had very few auditions and am starting to look elsewhere. I don't love his personality - if he were getting me out on auditions I wouldn't really care.

I really can't handle the typo in your name.

Posts: 1054 | Location: New York | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I signed with them back in 2008, I believe. I really didn't know much about the business yet and I trusted them. I was with them for a year and had gone out on ZERO auditions. When I asked them about it, they used the economy excuse "...gas prices are high, Dr. Pepper doesn't want to spend money on the shipment of product, and then don't want to make commercials.." or some BS like that. I sought advice from my mentor and I left. But I was self submitting and couldnt find another agency. In 2010, I thought, maybe the economy is getting better and maybe I could go back to DPM and things would be better. He accepted me back and my interview was positive. But six months in, I still hadn't gone on a single audition. I also self submitted to a spanish audition. I notified him that I went on the audition and he was very surprised because he didn't know I spoke spanish...IT WAS ON MY RESUME!!! As I was still not going on auditions, I asked him about it and he used that SAME BS excuse about the economy and gas prices. I left and found a better agent and am getting a lot more auditions.

Posts: 6 | Location: Seattle, Wa | Registered: April 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Harrison Ford
posted Hide Post
Syphus - I agree with you.

Ocho-wan kenobi - Serves you right for making the same mistake twice.

Secret Agent Man
Back Stage Columnist

Posts: 1086 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: April 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hilary Swank
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ocho-wan kenobi:
I signed with them back in 2008, I believe. I really didn't know much about the business yet and I trusted them. I was with them for a year and had gone out on ZERO auditions. When I asked them about it, they used the economy excuse "...gas prices are high, Dr. Pepper doesn't want to spend money on the shipment of product, and then don't want to make commercials.." or some BS like that. I sought advice from my mentor and I left. But I was self submitting and couldnt find another agency. In 2010, I thought, maybe the economy is getting better and maybe I could go back to DPM and things would be better. He accepted me back and my interview was positive. But six months in, I still hadn't gone on a single audition. I also self submitted to a spanish audition. I notified him that I went on the audition and he was very surprised because he didn't know I spoke spanish...IT WAS ON MY RESUME!!! As I was still not going on auditions, I asked him about it and he used that SAME BS excuse about the economy and gas prices. I left and found a better agent and am getting a lot more auditions.

Ocho-wan Kenobi, How can you possibly be "getting a lot more auditions" in Seattle? Theres hardly any mainstream films/ or TV up there

Posts: 372 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: December 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
First of all, Secret Agent Man, I admit it was a mistake by I was pretty green back then. I defenintly took it as a learning experience. But I've moved on and am doing better things.

Second,

Ocho-wan Kenobi, How can you possibly be "getting a lot more auditions" in Seattle? Theres hardly any mainstream films/ or TV up there[/QUOTE]

I hope that was an honest question and not a sarcastic one. But I'll give you the Benicia of the doubt. For many reasons, my a ring career was not happening in LA. There were many things against me. But I hady training. So I decided to find a smaller market with hopes of jump starting my career. And I found it in Seattle. Now, just to be clear, yes, there aren't many TV/Film productions in Seattle as there are in LA. But that doesn't mean that an actor can't possibly find as much work. There are many corporate filming for companies like Boieng, Microsoft, and Nintendo. I was apart of an anti bullying campaign for schools. A national commercial was filmed for ford in Tacoma. I have had 2 auditions for Grimm in Portland Oregan, and an audition and booking for a commercial in Portland. I have done VO work for an insurance company. So, you see, there is work in smaller markets and I (OR ANY ACTOR) CAN FIND WORK OUTSIDE OF LA. it's been the best thing I have ever done for my career. I have done more work in my short 8 months of living in the. Pacific NorthWest than I ever have in my 6 years of pursuing acting in LA. I got lost in the pile in LA as most actors do. I hope to go back to. LA and do bigger productions. But, I firmly believe you do not have to be in LA to "make it" or to "possibly" be getting more more auditions. Sure, I may have some good luck right now, and it may slow way down tomorrow, but I think I'm doing fine in a smaller market and believe it will pay off and advance me to bigger productions elsewhere (LA/NY).

Posts: 6 | Location: Seattle, Wa | Registered: April 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know there are a lot of typos in my last post. I was typing and deep in thought on an iPhone and didn't really catch all of them. I apologize.

Hilary Swank
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ocho-wan kenobi:

Ocho-wan Kenobi, How can you possibly be "getting a lot more auditions" in Seattle? Theres hardly any mainstream films/ or TV up there

I hope that was an honest question and not a sarcastic one. But I'll give you the Benicia of the doubt. For many reasons, my a ring career was not happening in LA. There were many things against me. But I hady training. So I decided to find a smaller market with hopes of jump starting my career. And I found it in Seattle. Now, just to be clear, yes, there aren't many TV/Film productions in Seattle as there are in LA. But that doesn't mean that an actor can't possibly find as much work. There are many corporate filming for companies like Boieng, Microsoft, and Nintendo. I was apart of an anti bullying campaign for schools. A national commercial was filmed for ford in Tacoma. I have had 2 auditions for Grimm in Portland Oregan, and an audition and booking for a commercial in Portland. I have done VO work for an insurance company. So, you see, there is work in smaller markets and I (OR ANY ACTOR) CAN FIND WORK OUTSIDE OF LA. it's been the best thing I have ever done for my career. I have done more work in my short 8 months of living in the. Pacific NorthWest than I ever have in my 6 years of pursuing acting in LA. I got lost in the pile in LA as most actors do. I hope to go back to. LA and do bigger productions. But, I firmly believe you do not have to be in LA to "make it" or to "possibly" be getting more more auditions. Sure, I may have some good luck right now, and it may slow way down tomorrow, but I think I'm doing fine in a smaller market and believe it will pay off and advance me to bigger productions elsewhere (LA/NY).[/QUOTE]

I guess I was just referring to Network TV shows and Studio films, b/c other than Grimm, I knew there wasn't much of that going up there.

The other stuff is nice as far as a paycheck, but be warned, CD's and solid Agents down here are going to really only care what mainstream work you booked in this town

Posts: 372 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: December 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Robert DeNiro
posted Hide Post
I was with DPM for a year. I think I was sent on 2 or 3 auditions for the whole year. I left. I get many more auditions commercially through my manager now.

I didn't appreciate DPM's general emails to all clients via LAcasting, stating that if you don't make auditions you will be dropped, etc. Basically threats. If they had issues with certain clients, they should have addressed the issues independently, not through general emails. I received many of these middle-school disciplinary emails and I was not impressed.

Posts: 517 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: January 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jack Travern:

The other stuff is nice as far as a paycheck, but be warned, CD's and solid Agents down here are going to really only care what mainstream work you booked in this town

I don't believe that at all. I understand that is an idea that is instilled in young actors in Hollywood. I lived there all my life. I know. But I have learned a lot of things on my journey. In my experience, and the people that I have talked to that I consider mentors who are working actors and CD's, that idea is not necessarily true. It does exist and it does happen. But my work (training, experience, knowledge, talent), with the mighty Guest Spots or not, will ultimately make a CD notice me.

posted Hide Post
As far as DPM is concerned...bottom line, not that great of a talent agent.

posted Hide Post
I was rep'd by DPM for a little more than a year and had very mixed feelings about the experience.

On one hand, Daniel gave me an opportunity. I came into the acting world a little late in life, and yet he saw something in me and signed me. I learned so much in that one year, and I owe a lot of that to him. As my first agent, he taught me to be responsible, pro-active, punctual (i.e. early) and professional. He expects a LOT from his partners/actors because you represent his business. Understandable.

Which brings me to the other side of the coin...

Despite the occasional warmth he shows, he is quite unreasonable in certain aspects of the business. Examples: there is NO reason you should ever NOT answer your phone. There is NO excuse for missing an audition. I showed up to 99% of the auditions he got me and yet he gave me HELL for the two I missed. No excuse for a missed audition. Sick? Kids? Vacation? Car accident? Suck it up. Leave your kid in the waiting room with a stranger.

He became irate on numerous occasions for minor offenses over a 1 year period. The real problem came when HE messed up by not alerting a major casting office that I couldn't make it to a callback because I was working another job. I have only been called back into that office once in two years. He took NO responsibility for this.

I left soon after that incident by writing a letter. I still would recommend him if you have no other options.

Posts: 6 | Location: Los Angeles,  | Registered: May 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Morgan Freeman
posted Hide Post
Ya he has zero tolerance for missing auditions, he doesn't care if your house is on fire. He will tell you "that's why the firemen are there" and expect you to get to your audition.

Posts: 38 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: March 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wish I had read this discussion before going in to meet him today. I had found other discussions that mentioned DPM as legit agency, but this thread really sheds better light on him. So here is how my experience went:

I got an invitation through LACasting to audition for commercial rep with DPM. I followed the very specific instructions for calling to make the appointment, and even on the phone with him, I got the acute sense that this guy barely had time to waste on anything. He was very short and to the point on the phone, no friendliness there. I can assume that I spoke to him when I called because his office, when I was there, only consisted of him and an older English lady.

So I had the same guidelines that LEOX previously stated. And here are the things that I was harshly criticized for when I sat down in the room with him:

Mistake #1: I arrived 7 minutes late. That is, he said to come 15 minutes early and I got there 8 minutes early. So we started off with him asking me why I was late, not accepting any excuse whatsoever, and telling me I should have called to ask whether I should still come in at all.

I understand that being late is unacceptable in this business, and I took this as a harsh awakening that there will be people who will severely criticize me if I am not there when they ask me to be. I honestly did not realize that the "arrive 15 minutes early" request was really an ORDER on his part. I took it as more of an advisory.

LESSON LEARNED: do EXACTLY what people tell you to do, if you want to be on their good side.

still - this is pretty harsh, no?

Mistake #2: I have been in LA for 10 months and I have not taken any classes here yet. He was impressed with my classes from UCB in NY and my NYU degree. But he thought it was preposterous and absolutely unacceptable that I had not taken any classes here yet. I tried to explain that, what with moving, and my husband not being able to work right away(the hotel he was hired at kept pushing back it's opening by a few months), and applying/paying to renew my husband's 2-year green card, I had not felt financially able to get into classes yet, and that I was actually looking to get in one soon…but he gave me this very patronizing, "whatever, you're an idiot" look. He actually gave me these very disparaging and rude looks through the whole meeting. I felt like I was an absolute failure.

Did not realize that not having done any classes yet would get me in so much trouble. I truly am about to sign up for a commercial class though, as I feel that I need one. I want to sign up for acting classes too. These are all things that, if it weren't for the money, I would already be in!! I guess I might just have to suck it up and deal with even more credit card debt for a while…if more agents are like him, I don't even know if I should take any meetings until I have an LA class to put on my resume…

Mistake #3: He didn't think I properly prepared for the cold read. Not a clear enough character choice, which he said I would be able to do if I were taking classes. Fair enough, I suppose. I did his adjustment and I think he liked that I took his direction and made it better. But ultimately he was unimpressed that I couldn't properly prepare during the time that I was waiting.

Mistake #4: No questions for him when he asked if I had any. Honestly by this point I was so beaten down I just couldn't think of anything. And go figure, I just saw that this week's class materials in the marketing seminar I am taking is covering questions you can ask agents in meetings. But anyway, he was very unimpressed that I had no questions, had not prepared any, etc.

His final words: If I keep going in the direction I am going, I am not going to do well in this business. He said I did have a lot of things going for me, so it was a real shame. I basically just accepted everything he said in the meeting, told him he was right, and that I appreciated his criticism and honesty.

The older English lady sat to the side of his desk the whole time, not saying anything, but he referred to her as an agent as well…when he said "you are sitting in front of two of the top agents…etc etc" No idea who she is. She's not listed with his agency on imdbpro.

I feel like the failure of this meeting is a combination of my being unprepared and rather green when it comes to agent meetings, and Daniel's very own brand of harsh, rude, no-nonsense way of doing business. Honestly I suppose I am glad that I had this kind of meeting as a sort of wake-up call to what I can encounter out there. I am doubly glad to hear that he really doesn't seem like that good of an agent with any sort of positive reputation. This doesn't mean that I won't take his criticism to heart. I know that I made some true mistakes with this meeting. I am going to learn from them, so that when I get into the room with an agent who is actually worth working with, I will truly be prepared.

Posts: 3 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: May 15, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post