home subscribe
Backstage.com    Message Board Homepage  Hop To Forum Categories  Moderated Forums  Hop To Forums  Secret Agent Man    Please View Materials For Agent Submissions
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Please View Materials For Agent Submissions Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Hello all,
For what it's worth, I have appreciated everyone's comments, even JT's. I truly just wanted perspective(s) from different eyes in order to better judge where to go next. I had the same concerns over the quality of those videos, particularly the stage combat vid- I have only done live action stunts for amusement parks, so sadly video proof is hard to come by. But perhaps I'll develop a fight reel/do some networking, before offering video. And do some searching for better quality, more specific acting reel material- I agree that as of right now it's a bit formless, so I'll have to approach potential representation as a greener actress than I really am.
From everyone's help, I have been able to come up with a game plan: since the commercial footage seems to elicit a stronger positive reaction, I will focus on commercial agents first. This truly was great help. Thank you all.

Posts: 3 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glenn Close
posted Hide Post
As far as stunts, they'll try and talk you out of any serious stunt, and the stunt people are very clique-y. So I'd just take it away because it'll have very little impact while it is just of so much less quality than the rest of the stuff, so no need to distract.

If you have acting that has a stunt in it, or at whatever point you do, then I'd put it in there.

Posts: 995 | Location: New York | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
You have a nice look and I admire that you're exposing your credentials in this forum. It's good Marketing 101. Yet there are many attractive, young blonds so you must distinguish yourself from the crowd. Firstly, create a tight reel that shows your PRODUCED work and emphasizes why they cast YOU. The fact that someone has already put $ into a production reinforces your value to someone else. Secondly, describe your actor self in 25 words...because if you can't be succinct with an Agent or CD you're done. Third, view your combat training is a Special Skill for your resume only, cause as previously said, your current competition is overwhelming.

Posts: 62 | Location: NYC  | Registered: August 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have two follow up questions:
A) What's the general consensus for paid demo reels? I gave always been a bit wary, but can see the potential benefit, especially of there are reputable companies worth investing in..Thoughts?
B) When submitting to certain agencies that are "full service," if wanting to most aggressively appeal to their commercial division, should I focus solely on commercial footage and have my cover letter appeal more to say, my theatre and improv background,than my stunt/stage combat experience? I admit a little amateur confusion on this matter Wink

Posts: 3 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Russell Crowe
posted Hide Post
Some of the demo reel companies do decent work, but you can do just as well for much cheaper if you know some people that have decent equipment and know how to use it. Something I did for two friends in my class at school that needed some better footage than what they could get from the student films they had done was to reshoot some old soap opera scenes in film style. It would be pretty unusual for somebody to recognize those and compare you to the original actor and the writing will be at least halfway decent. And it's no harm no foul as long as you don't use it for anything but a demo. Like my friend who scored rep with Gersh in New York used a slightly shortened version of the first 48 seconds of this old soap scene with Anne Heche that we reshot in romcom style until she got two real guest star credits. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKnkBI4mtck She obviously didn't imitate Anne Heche, but it was a good scene to show her strengths. Look around and you can probably find something like that.

You need to address your submissions to a specific agent at each agency. Here is Truthteller59's list of good commercial agencies that includes some names. http://bbs.backstage.com/group...1061/m/388102893/p/1 You need to check the contact names on imdb pro since some of them have since changed agencies. Just pick another commercial agent in the firm if the person he listed has moved on.

I like your theatrical headshot, but I am on the fence about the commercial shot you lead with on your reel. Others might disagree. I agree with everybody that you don't need to use the combat video. I am trained in unarmed and three weapons and have videos of my SPTs, but it just goes in the Special Skills section of my resume.

You haven't shown us your resume, but you will need to show some LA training on it if you don't have it already. You definitely need an improv class from one of the big 4 schools to get a good commercial agent's interest. A class in commercial auditioning would also help. And to get a theatrical agent's interest, you will need an auditioning/cold reading class on top of whatever training you already have. Here is a link to Truth's latest list of hot LA classes to choose from. http://bbs.backstage.com/group...0566/m/599103693/p/2

I know I'm talking about spending a lot of money. But this is a business just like any other in that you sometimes have to spend money to make money. I'm sure you are thinking, "Duh." Right? haha The best time to submit to theatrical agents will be in late April and May anyway. So you have plenty of time to get your stuff together by then.

Posts: 156 | Location: Hollywood Hills | Registered: September 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Marlon Brando
posted Hide Post
Damn, that looked like it was from a real soap.

Posts: 2129 | Location: LA,CA | Registered: May 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Russell Crowe
posted Hide Post
Haha. It was. That was the original with Anne Heche when she played twins on "Another World" about when she was about 20!

Posts: 156 | Location: Hollywood Hills | Registered: September 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
Awesome advice, gyokoren! *steals it*

Posts: 77 | Location: New York | Registered: August 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post