home subscribe
Backstage.com    Message Board Homepage  Hop To Forum Categories  Moderated Forums  Hop To Forums  Secret Agent Man    Working non union after becomeing SAG AFTRA
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Working non union after becomeing SAG AFTRA Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Yep, so let those film makers know that you're planning on joining the unions before the shoot days. If they love you like you say, then they have plenty of time to make it a SAG low budget film.

Posts: 1868 | Location: LA,CA | Registered: May 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Kevin Bacon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by quazimoto:
Ok bottom line is this: Just recently booked SAG commercial and been SAG Elgible for a few months, I am also Aftra must join as well, but I have been biting my time until the merger so I can potentially save money on joining the union.

I go on between 1-3 SAG auditions every two months currently-I am looking for that number to progressively build this year.

I am committed to two short films right now, both $100 a day pay, but both lead roles with some great scenes working with some great people. Both projects are set to shoot April/May.

I wanted to join the union next week before the merger to save money, however I still want to very much work on both of these short films. I do not want to 'sneak' behind any unions back.

I appreciate everyone's feedback and please I would like some more. However try to keep it positive. I sense people getting a little too arrogant in some of their response. Hope I don't sound that way right now.....

I think it's frustration more than arrogance. The question has been answered. I get it, you were probably hoping someone would say it's okay and go for it.

It's simple, you have two choices. Don't do the projects and join, Don't join and do the projects. You have to figure out what's more important.

If it were me, I would do the projects, get the great footage for a reel, which is like gold these days, and join later.

Everyone wants a reel, even student stuff. Check the cost of having someone make a descent reel, It's upward of 1,000.00. This way, at least you will have something organic.

If you want to do this right, you only have two choices.

Good luck.

Posts: 3 | Location: L.A. | Registered: February 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You're an idiot if you pay $1000 for a reel.

You can upload the dvd footage from your past projects to your computer and create 30 second clips yourself with iMovie or some easy program.

Reels are becoming a thing of the past. Cds want clips. They don't have time sitting through all 2 minutes.

Posts: 1868 | Location: LA,CA | Registered: May 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hilary Swank
posted Hide Post
Wow,

Wait... If I do short monologues and make them into clips that look like they come from some scene, is that ok?

ActorinLa.com

Posts: 119 | Location: Hollywood | Registered: March 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Kevin Bacon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TRUTHTELLER59:
You're an idiot if you pay $1000 for a reel.

You can do it yourself with iMovie or some easy program.

Reels are becoming a thing of the past. Cds want clips. They don't have time sitting through all 2 minutes.

Well, I guess I'm not an "idiot" because I haven't, and wont pay that. I've looked into it before, but passed. I was just making a point in case the OP doesn't have any work to edit. Just in case, I meant, to write, shoot, edit, and prepare copy. Not to just edit what you already have.

I went to a Liferaft event at SAG on the reel issue. Casting and agents on the panel. They all said, they hate home made stuff. They all said, if you make your own, it better be the highest quality, especially the writing. Some people don't have the resources to do this themselves. Yeah, that's a freakin lot of money, and I've seen some of these that I wouldn't pay 100.00 for. Some people don't really have a choice. Clips or reels, you have to have something.

Posts: 3 | Location: L.A. | Registered: February 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm not talking about home produced stuff. I'm talking about your current footage. If you at least get 15-30 secs of quality footage, awesome!

You can for free extract the DVD footage to your computer and use a program like I movie to get the footage that best shows you.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ActorinLA:
Wow,

Wait... If I do short monologues and make them into clips that look like they come from some scene, is that ok?

ABSOLUTELY NOT!

Clips are 30 sec excerpts from QUALITY films and shows that you've already done.

Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
I appreciate all the feedback guys. I always recommend this message board to every young actor I meet, because of all the great feedback and input that everybody always throws in.

Posts: 28 | Location: New York City | Registered: July 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hilary Swank
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gettothetruth:
It doesn't matter when you sign the contract. If you are a union member it is against union rules to work on a non union project.

That is the answer. You've gotten it over and over on this board, but as I said earlier you just don't want to hear the answer you don't like.

Wait... what? For real? I was told that if I signed the contracts before I joined I was fine. Would I call SAG to find out what the rules are if the merger goes through? (I'm only in AFTRA at the moment so this hasn't been a concern until now)

Is SAG fielding questions to people who are AFTRA only about the merger?

Bad news bears if this is the case. I'm lined up for a few months of non-union work that won't be finished by the time the unions merge and they told me going ULB would be a problem.

“Absorb what is useful, Discard what is not, Add what is uniquely your own.” - Bruce Lee

Posts: 67 | Location: Burbank, CA | Registered: January 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Kevin Bacon
posted Hide Post
Scoobings... hate to break it to you, but if you're already a member of AFTRA, you're still not allowed to do non-union work. Period. AFTRA's "No contract, no work" is equivalent to SAG's "Global One" rule. If you're a member of one union, you DO NOT work non-union in any sister union's jurisdiction. AFTRA may not enforce it to the degree SAG does, but make no mistake, you are still violating that pledge and working off card.

Posts: 12 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: December 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hilary Swank
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Countrygirl.in.the.City:
Scoobings... hate to break it to you, but if you're already a member of AFTRA, you're still not allowed to do non-union work. Period. AFTRA's "No contract, no work" is equivalent to SAG's "Global One" rule. If you're a member of one union, you DO NOT work non-union in any sister union's jurisdiction. AFTRA may not enforce it to the degree SAG does, but make no mistake, you are still violating that pledge and working off card.

Right, but I was under the impression that since I signed the contract before I joined that was OK. Looks like I need to make some phone calls Eeker

“Absorb what is useful, Discard what is not, Add what is uniquely your own.” - Bruce Lee

Posts: 67 | Location: Burbank, CA | Registered: January 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Morgan Freeman
posted Hide Post
No, that doesn't make it ok. The date the contract is signed has nothing to do with it.

Once you are a union member you can not work non union. Simple as that.

Posts: 57 | Location: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: May 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
Having worked both non-union jobs in the beginning and now doing only union work, it is truly amazing the difference between the two...

You just have to step up to the plate and stay union!

I'd never be interested in any non-union stuff now at all.

Posts: -12 | Location: Los Angeles, California | Registered: May 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hilary Swank
posted Hide Post
Every non union gig I did, especially for schools, the project got Sag to give us paperwork which made it ok to work non union.

ActorinLa.com

Posts: 119 | Location: Hollywood | Registered: March 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hilary Swank
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ActorinLA:
Every non union gig I did, especially for schools, the project got Sag to give us paperwork which made it ok to work non union.

The problem is that this isn't a student film so that doesn't work :\ This is an indi film and the budget, according to the last time I talked to the director, was too high to qualify for ULB. This director also told me not to worry about signing the contracts with him because I was signing before I joined AFTRA, so I'd be OK to work the film in April.

On hold at AFTRA right now, I'll let you know if I find out anything that hasn't been said here already.

*edit*
Meh, I keep just getting an answering machine. I'll try tomorrow.