home subscribe
Backstage.com    Message Board Homepage  Hop To Forum Categories  Moderated Forums  Hop To Forums  Secret Agent Man    Working non union after becomeing SAG AFTRA
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Working non union after becomeing SAG AFTRA Login/Join

Denzel Washington
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TRUTHTELLER59:
Seriously why would you want to do non union when in the union? There is NO real money in doing nonunion film/tv. $200 at best is NOTHING compared to what you'd make doing a union project.

If you still looking for footage for your reel/clip library, then a lot of top film schools have SAG Waiver agreements where you can work on their projects without penalty

this

Posts: 68 | Location: New York, NY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Al Pacino
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtRockFAN:
What if that non-union film is free and not to sold or make money off from as YouTube video? Can the SAG actor still appear in movie that can only be seen in YouTube?

Doesn't matter, you still need a contract. However, the new media contract is really simple to fill out.

Posts: 1002 | Location: New York | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OP: It's "becoming".

I only have TWO SAG waivers from working as a porter on the upcoming 4th Season of "Boardwalk Empire" and I still do non-union jobs. Once I get my third, I'm not doing them anymore.

Posts: 2 | Location: New York | Registered: August 04, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
Ugh.....How about putting it this way....

Working non-union gigs actually hurts actors overall because it perpetuates the production of low paying gigs. Unions protect actors' safety, rights and pay. So working non-uion after earning the privilege of becoming union, is like a slap in the face to all the actors that have fought to build it. Furthermore, working non-uion after you have joined can result in you being ejected from the union...and thus making it near impossible to build your resume with strong credits.

Honestly...the badgering isn't necessary.

Also...I get that union gigs pay MUCH more than non-uion. But I don't think any of the badgerers addressed the fact that those super high paying gigs can be very VERY hard to get. Almost like saying...why would you become an engineer for a company when you can just design your own social media network and become a billionnaire!! So I do think it was a valid question to ask...and not one deserving of being berated. I like to think we're here to help eachother...not talk down to eachother. But hey...that's just me.

Hope everyone's having a great episodic season so far!

Regards,

Merrick

IMDB :
http://www.imdb.me/merrickmccartha

Posts: 7 | Location: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: February 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't know, if expulsion is the case then how are directors like Robert Rodriguez and Peter Jackson directing union actors in non-union productions like Sin City, Planet Terror and The Hobbit ?

Therefore it's either not true or there's a double standard at work here.

Posts: 1 | Location: N/A | Registered: September 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Al Pacino
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MrManifesto:
I don't know, if expulsion is the case then how are directors like Robert Rodriguez and Peter Jackson directing union actors in non-union productions like Sin City, Planet Terror and The Hobbit ?

Therefore it's either not true or there's a double standard at work here.

There actually was a Do Not Work order against The Hobbit and a whole lot of complex shit that I don't have the patience to write out happened before that was rescinded.

Posts: 1002 | Location: New York | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Denzel Washington
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by new york:
OP: It's "becoming".

I only have TWO SAG waivers from working as a porter on the upcoming 4th Season of "Boardwalk Empire" and I still do non-union jobs. Once I get my third, I'm not doing them anymore.

You know that even with 3 vouchers you're only sag eligible, right? You can do as much non union as you want until you actually join. And I would wait until you book your first gig to actually join (just have the money saved up).

Posts: 161 | Location: los angeles | Registered: April 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Working non union after becomeing SAG AFTRA

...is something you should never do.

Posts: 7 | Location: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: September 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post