Backstage Message Board
Working non union after becomeing SAG AFTRA

This topic can be found at:
http://bbs.backstage.com/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f/6031061/m/787105914

March 26, 2012, 04:43 PM
ActorinLA
Working non union after becomeing SAG AFTRA
Oh Frowner
What if you go ahead and do it anyway?
It will be risky, but he union might not kick you out, you're a new struggling actor, they have bigger fish to worry about.
If they do kick you out, make a big deal about it in the papers, the producers will love you.


ActorinLa.com
March 26, 2012, 04:57 PM
Scoobings
quote:
Originally posted by ActorinLA:
Oh Frowner
What if you go ahead and do it anyway?
It will be risky, but he union might not kick you out, you're a new struggling actor, they have bigger fish to worry about.
If they do kick you out, make a big deal about it in the papers, the producers will love you.


Eh, I wouldn't want to risk something like that just starting out. Off the top of my head, if I don't get a better idea from an AFTRA rep when I get a hold of one, my idea is to go Fi-core until the movie is done so I don't back out on my contract and run into legal trouble there. I feel kind of like a schmuck but lesson learned I guess. Roll Eyes At least I found out now. Glad I stumbled across this thread.


“Absorb what is useful, Discard what is not, Add what is uniquely your own.” - Bruce Lee
March 26, 2012, 06:46 PM
Iwata4sure
quote:
Originally posted by ActorinLA:
Oh Frowner
What if you go ahead and do it anyway?
It will be risky, but he union might not kick you out, you're a new struggling actor, they have bigger fish to worry about.
If they do kick you out, make a big deal about it in the papers, the producers will love you.


It's usually the small fish that get fried and made the example. They know you probably don't have the resources or clout to fight it. No repercussions.
March 26, 2012, 07:09 PM
mom2music
Scoobings-

You haven't joined AFTRA yet, have you?

I don't know what the budget was on the last ULB film my son was in(the screening is next week), but the one before that was $200,00, and had a name actor that probably got a nice chunk of that.

If i were you, i would write into your contract that you will stay non-union through the shooting of the films, but they have to pay the money for you to join the union. it's only fair and it's seems like they have the money.

If they won't offer to do that, they're taking advantage of you(another reason to go union).
March 27, 2012, 08:20 AM
Scoobings
quote:
Originally posted by mom2music:
Scoobings-

You haven't joined AFTRA yet, have you?

I don't know what the budget was on the last ULB film my son was in(the screening is next week), but the one before that was $200,00, and had a name actor that probably got a nice chunk of that.

If i were you, i would write into your contract that you will stay non-union through the shooting of the films, but they have to pay the money for you to join the union. it's only fair and it's seems like they have the money.

If they won't offer to do that, they're taking advantage of you(another reason to go union).


I have joined. I wrote an e-mail to the Ask AFTRA website and what they said was if you are working on a film at the time of joining AFTRA you don't have to quit, you can finish out the film.

The hazy part to me is what qualifies as "working" on a film. That seems like a pretty loose term, as signing a contract could be considered "working" could it not?

Anyway, I think the best answer here is just don't screw around with it :P I think I'm probably going to go Fi-core just to be safe until I'm done shooting these projects and then go back to normal.

Thanks for everyone's input!


“Absorb what is useful, Discard what is not, Add what is uniquely your own.” - Bruce Lee
March 27, 2012, 08:29 AM
gettothetruth
Once you go fi core you can not go back to "normal." Get your facts straight before you do it. Make sure you know all the facts before you take such a drastic step.
March 27, 2012, 08:36 AM
Scoobings
quote:
Originally posted by gettothetruth:
Once you go fi core you can not go back to "normal." Get your facts straight before you do it. Make sure you know all the facts before you take such a drastic step.


Apparently I don't understand Fi-core then. Thank you for clarifying. I'm still pretty fresh out here and I don't understand a lot of the business side to acting out here yet.

I'll look into Fi-core so I understand it better. Thanks.

*edit*
I don't understand... the info I'm pulling up right now says in order to "rejoin" SAG from fi-core, you have to pay a reinstatement fee based on how long you were fi-core. This goes along with what I thought.

*2nd edit*
Ahhh! I see! I found what you're talking about. The hearing proccess.

I'll probably just wait until we see what happens with the merger and then start poking around about this. The project might not even get off the ground anyway so I might be making a mountain out of a mole hill. Thanks everyone!


“Absorb what is useful, Discard what is not, Add what is uniquely your own.” - Bruce Lee
March 27, 2012, 09:15 AM
TRUTHTELLER59
Yes, by law you're allowed a chance to rejoin, but you have to go through a tribunal plead your case on why you did it and why you want to be a full member. I've never heard of anyone who has succeeded and gotten reinstated.

But at the same time, it was why would you want to go back? You still get the important stuff like residuals and health insurance benefits.


http://truthteller59.wordpress.com
March 27, 2012, 11:00 AM
Scoobings
quote:
Originally posted by TRUTHTELLER59:
Yes, by law you're allowed a chance to rejoin, but you have to go through a tribunal plead your case on why you did it and why you want to be a full member. I've never heard of anyone who has succeeded and gotten reinstated.

But at the same time, it was why would you want to go back? You still get the important stuff like residuals and health insurance benefits.


I see. I wasn't aware. Thanks.

I would want to avoid the negative association with it really. Especially with as (apparently) ignorant on the concept of Fi-Core as I am I really wouldn't want to get in over my head on something I don't fully understand.

Just judging from what I've read by SAM it seems like it's a bad idea, and I don't fully understand the ramifications of it, apparently.

Plus, no DVDs!!!!1!1!


“Absorb what is useful, Discard what is not, Add what is uniquely your own.” - Bruce Lee
March 27, 2012, 11:10 AM
TRUTHTELLER59
quote:
Originally posted by Scoobings:
Plus, no DVDs!!!!1!1!

Haha! They always end up on the internet anyways!


http://truthteller59.wordpress.com
March 27, 2012, 11:44 AM
chase
I am in a similar predicament as Scoobings-


Joined AFTRA last week (I was SAGe and AFTRA must join) but had started filming a non union feature back in January for a director/friend. I was also worried what would happen now that they want to finish filming next month.

I emailed AFTRA asking if I could finish the project since I started filming before I joined - I have a dated contract from my friends prod company if that is needed. This was their response...

"If you started filming before you joined, you may finish the project, but you should not accept anymore non-union work."

IDK if that helps any - Obviously I'll re-ask the question if the merger goes through but for now it seems okay.

SN- I am in no way whining about not being able to do non-union work. The aspiring director is a good friend of mine and I didn't want to completely screw his film up. I did years plenty of non union shlepping and am more than happy to give that up for even just one union job. Smiler


Chase
January 23, 2013, 10:31 AM
RENE NAPOLI - Actor
Union members should NEVER work non union projects. Unacceptable!!! Mad


The Regulator
January 23, 2013, 12:40 PM
Yonie
Rene, I suggest you look at when the last post was made in threads you are planning on replying to. This one is nearly a year old; the discussion is dead.
January 23, 2013, 03:06 PM
RENE NAPOLI - Actor
oops, however, my comment still stands on the issue which is still an issue today... but thanks for taking the time to let me know Smiler


The Regulator
August 08, 2013, 05:31 PM
ArtRockFAN
What if that non-union film is free and not to sold or make money off from as YouTube video? Can the SAG actor still appear in movie that can only be seen in YouTube?