home subscribe
Backstage.com    Message Board Homepage  Hop To Forum Categories  Moderated Forums  Hop To Forums  Secret Agent Man    Best Commercial Workshop/Class?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best Commercial Workshop/Class? Login/Join

Johnny Depp
posted
Can anybody recommend a good Commercial Workshop/Class? 1 that's holds weight on your resume when Agents look to see what Commercial classes you've taken.

Posts: 7 | Location: LONG BEACH CA | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here are the best in LA. They all have positive reputations.

Commercials
-Hey, I Saw Your Commercial!
-Chris Game
-Stuart K. Robinson
-Stuart Stone
-Killian McHugh
-Francine Selkirk-Akerman
-Carolyne Barry

Posts: 1296 | Location: LA,CA | Registered: May 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
Thanks Truthteller...U always come thru! Someone recommended Stuart K. Robinson to me a while ago but I didnt think he was up there like that. but thanks this certainly helps!

Posts: 7 | Location: LONG BEACH CA | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh yeah, the classes are NOT listed in order of who's better.

Stuart K. Robinson would definitely be around the top if you were going to rank them.

Posts: 1296 | Location: LA,CA | Registered: May 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Harrison Ford
posted Hide Post
Adding to the list:

Michael Donovan
Megan Foley

and adding more:

John Sudol
Terry Berland

- MIB -
"If you can dream, you can do. Making it happen is up to you!"

Posts: 753 | Location: SoCal | Registered: July 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Kevin Bacon
posted Hide Post
Do any of these have youth classes or specialize in youth?

Posts: 1 | Location: oc | Registered: February 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Stuart K Robinson is at the top of this list.

I haven't done Carolyn Barry's class yet and I'm not a fan of Stuart Stone but I have taken the other workshops on the list. I benefited in some way from all of them but it was Stuart's class I learned how to actually book the job.

Posts: 2 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: April 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KidfromCali2:

I haven't done Carolyn Barry's class yet and I'm not a fan of Stuart Stone but I have taken the other workshops on the list. I benefited in some way from all of them but it was Stuart's class I learned how to actually book the job.

Really? Looks like Imma have 2 give Stuart K a try...U didnt find "Hey, I saw your commercial" helpful? I was reading the testimonals on the website and it seemed like that would be the better of the two classes despite being cheaper.

Harrison Ford
posted Hide Post
Any class is subjective. That's why it's important to audit classes when possible. What may be right for one person, may not be the right fit for another.

- MIB -

Posts: 753 | Location: SoCal | Registered: July 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
Mike from Hey I Saw Your Commercial! is anti-theater, scene study, and real acting training in general. He tries to say shocking things to make people feel like he knows something that everyone else doesn't. he doesn't allow people to skip into his advanced class and so his beginner class isn't good for anyone who has had on camera experience.

For me, i really wanted to fine tune my commercial foundation, but a lot of the things he suggests are just general on-camera notes.

Posts: 1 | Location: The City of Angels | Registered: February 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Amelia:
Mike from Hey I Saw Your Commercial! is anti-theater, scene study, and real acting training in general.

That's not true! He's stated that he's against people doing theatre in hopes of "getting discovered" when starting out.

He's NOT anti-scene study either. He believes that starting out with an expensive scene study class is not always the best strategy when starting out. He's believes that taking a cold reading/auditioning class before a scene study class can be more beneficial.

Harrison Ford
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TRUTHTELLER59:
quote:
Originally posted by Amelia:
Mike from Hey I Saw Your Commercial! is anti-theater, scene study, and real acting training in general.

That's not true! He's stated that he's against people doing theatre in hopes of "getting discovered" when starting out.

He's NOT anti-scene study either. He believes that starting out with an expensive scene study class is not always the best strategy when starting out. He's believes that taking a cold reading/auditioning class before a scene study class can be more beneficial.

TRUTH... It's great you liked his classes and I know several others who did, as well. Either way his words and beliefs are interpreted, though, it may be right for some, but not for others. No two actors' journeys are the same. It's up to the actor to research, audit if possible, and then decide.

- MIB -

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aviron:
Does anyone have pricing info for Craig Colvin and Hey, I Saw Your Commercial?

Hey, I Saw Your Commercial! is $210 per class (4 weeks). There's the level one class where Mike Pointer covers the acting business in general and general commercial auditioning technique. Level two focuses more on improv exercises and more specific kind of commercial auditions.

Russell Crowe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by INVIZ HEFNER:
quote:
Originally posted by KidfromCali2:

Really? Looks like Imma have 2 give Stuart K a try...U didnt find "Hey, I saw your commercial" helpful? I was reading the testimonals on the website and it seemed like that would be the better of the two classes despite being cheaper.

so did u try stuarts class? the agents over at abrams are fans of his class

Posts: 38 | Location: city of angels | Registered: May 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Kevin Bacon
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry, I don't like to say anything negative, but Stuart Stone's class is HORRIBLE. And imo, the price of the classes for hey I saw your commercial are ridiculous. Another person taking advantage of struggling, full of hope actors.

Posts: 2 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: July 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post