home subscribe
Backstage.com    Message Board Homepage  Hop To Forum Categories  Moderated Forums  Hop To Forums  Secret Agent Man    Best Commercial Workshop/Class?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best Commercial Workshop/Class? Login/Join

Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
Judy is great and I really enjoyed the class. I took Killian's class in addition to Judy's, and wish I would've taken Judy's first. Her class gives you a really good foundation for commercial acting. Also, in addition to Francene teaching the last week, they have an agent come!

Posts: 4 | Location: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: January 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Denzel Washington
posted Hide Post
I can't believe how backed up Killians class is. Can't get in until July. Crazy.

Posts: 54 | Location: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Midwest2LA:
I can't believe how backed up Killians class is. Can't get in until July. Crazy.

Normally he ends up adding more classes during the days of the week when his main class gets filled.

Posts: 1905 | Location: LA,CA | Registered: May 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Morgan Freeman
posted Hide Post
Keep checking, he'll be adding more classes for April.

Posts: 70 | Location: LA | Registered: March 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glenn Close
posted Hide Post
I was cast in a commercial with Judy last year. She's a great commercial actor in her own right.

Posts: 41 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: April 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Which of these classes has an agent showcase at the end, bringing in REPUTABLE, Established commercial agents?

Posts: 2 | Location: Hollywood | Registered: March 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pablo Jones:
Which of these classes has an agent showcase at the end, bringing in REPUTABLE, Established commercial agents?

Judy Kain does at the end.

Mike Pointer of Hey, I Saw Your Commercial brings in 3 top commercial agents as an additional thing.

Posts: 1905 | Location: LA,CA | Registered: May 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pablo Jones:

Honestly, send KSR, Coast to Coast, Commercial Talent, Abrams, CESD, etc. that demoreel!

They're stupid if they don't call you in. You've proven that you can book Nationals.

posted Hide Post
Hahah OKOK TOM! Smiler. I'm just trying every avenue Smiler.

Posts: 2 | Location: Hollywood | Registered: March 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Carolyne Barry is a fantastic commercial teacher. I learned so much from taking her class! Carolyne has over 30 years of industry experience. She has beginner classes as well as advanced commercial technique classes for working actors. You can audit for free, too.

Posts: 2 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: April 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Did you join just to pimp Carolyne Barry?

I don't like how she talks sh!t on other commercial schools that have a good reputation like hers or how she acts like her school is a one stop shop. If you sign up for one class, she'll try to get you to sign up for her other classes. She is NOT the best Meisner school and she is NOT the best improv school.

posted Hide Post
Just wanted to follow-up my post from a few weeks ago by letting everyone know that I took the class with Judy Kain and Francene Selkirk and it was worth every penny and then some. I took so much away from it. I really didn't know anything about commercial technique before I took that class and it was so informative and Judy and Francene are excellent teachers. Like everyone has said before me, it's a very safe environment but they say what needs to be said. I honestly can't say enough good things about the class, I highly recommend it.

Posts: 2 | Location: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: January 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have not taken classes from anyone but Carolyne Barry. What I can say... my experience is that she deeply cares about her students. I find that if a person really cares... if they really love their students, everything else falls into place. She cares. she cares enough to tell you the truth even if you don't want to hear it... because it will help you. She cares enough to spend an unbelievable amount of time improving the materials and courses that she gives the her students. if you haven't read her book or watched the videos on her Mastertalentteachers.com websites, check out those amazing resources! good luck with whatever you choose to do. - James Wagner

Posts: 2 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: April 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have taken commercial classes from Carolyne Barry and I feel that I got a great deal out of it. She helped me focus in on getting out of my own way and how to have fun in the room. Team this with the audition techniques that she teaches you and you will absolutely have more fun auditioning, be more free, be confident in your skills.

Posts: 2 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: October 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack Nicholson
posted Hide Post
I just got done taking Francine Selkirk's teen on camera commercial class.

It is actually taught by Stephanie Lesh the majority of the classes but I did get a lot of time with Francine Selkirk in the final 2 classes and it wasnt stuffed so we got a lot of attention. At the last class a agent from Bobby Ball came out and he was great with all his information.

What I learned was that I already know a lot about commercial auditioning but there were some things I needed to tweek....my background of doing teen improv at Comedy Sportz Theatre definately helped me here.....but even then I am going to do Second City teen improv conservatory as soon as I get past my CHESPE exam this next weekend.

I have been trying to get a "recognized" name on my resume for every area over time......I have done Brian Reise, Francine Selkirk, and now will get a top 4 improv next.....

"Its the struggle that makes it great"

Posts: 50 | Location: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: August 04, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post