home subscribe
Backstage.com    Message Board Homepage  Hop To Forum Categories  Moderated Forums  Hop To Forums  Secret Agent Man    Best Commercial Workshop/Class?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best Commercial Workshop/Class? Login/Join

Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TRUTHTELLER59:
quote:
Originally posted by stevesteve:
quote:
A few months ago, I took Megan Foley Marra and Chuck Marra's one day commercial class because I wasn't getting too many commercial auditions with them.

I REALLY enjoyed it. She and Chuck taught a lot of stuff that Mike (HISYC) and Killian don't cover as well as stuff relevant to film/tv as well. Actually, they're now in my top 3 maybe even top 2 of commercial teachers.

I think John Sudol is overpriced and full of shit. He's trying to turn acting into a science by placing importance on ones facial expressions. We DON'T think about our facial expressions when we have normal conversations! So why should we when we're being filmed? If you are thinking about that shit, you're self aware and will have trouble being a truthful actor.

I looked on Megan and Chuck's website. Is the Friday class $200? Worth it?

I did the Saturday 9-5pm class for $150. I thought it was worth it and if you think about it 4 2-3 hour classes are $200-300. The Saturday class is like 2 classes

After navigating their website for a while, I couldn't find their Saturday class option anywhere. Did you hear about that class from them or something?

Posts: 46 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: February 04, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Megan and Chuck have two sites-a real one and an outdated one.

Here's the real deal:
http://foleymarracasting.com/F.../Adult_schedule.html

Posts: 1372 | Location: LA,CA | Registered: May 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
quote:

Here's the real deal:

Truth, do you recommend Megan & Chuck's Intensive in addition to HISYC and Killian's class or in lieu of?

Posts: 32 | Location: here and there | Registered: February 04, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trinks:
quote:

Here's the real deal:

Truth, do you recommend Megan & Chuck's Intensive in addition to HISYC and Killian's class or in lieu of?

If you're new or just don't know jack about the business side of acting, then at least level one of Mike's (HISYC) class is a great place to start.

After that, Megan or Killian. Or if you can afford it, both.

If you want to be a better actor overall, Megan's class is great for BOTH theatrical and commercial. Killian gives you a more simulated audition experience.

Posts: 1372 | Location: LA,CA | Registered: May 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
I was looking over the HISYC website and noticed a home-study course(DVD/CD) being sold by Mike Pointer. Is this a sound investment in learning some of his techniques(since I am not in LA)?

Posts: 16 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alvi:
I was looking over the HISYC website and noticed a home-study course(DVD/CD) being sold by Mike Pointer. Is this a sound investment in learning some of his techniques(since I am not in LA)?

Is there much commercial work in Virginia?

I've never seen any of it and don't know anyone who has gotten it.

While you're still in VA, you can:
1.Find the paragraphs that are in ads of magazines or anything in general books, scripts, etc. and practice cold reading into a camera.

2. Take a lot of improv classes

Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
I LOVE Mike Pointer at Hey! I saw your commercial. He is definitely not everyone's cup of tea, and since he doesn't require an audition, the beginning class is full of stupid people who don't know anything/take anything seriously... BUT... if you can get past that, DO IT. I got called in by both BBR and Clear Talent from his showcase. Also, more people look at my resume because of his class. I had a lot of fun there.

Posts: 30 | Location: Los Angeles, California | Registered: March 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Alvi:

Is there much commercial work in Virginia?

I've never seen any of it and don't know anyone who has gotten it.

While you're still in VA, you can:
1.Find the paragraphs that are in ads of magazines or anything in general books, scripts, etc. and practice cold reading into a camera.

2. Take a lot of improv classes

Thank you, TT. I was hoping you'd chime in. Being away from major markets is certainly hard but seeing that a "course" was available with HISYC seemed interesting. I was inquiring because I figured it might help me when I eventually move to LA or NY.

No, not many commercials are filmed in Virginia. You have your typical state lottery, maybe a local car dealership, etc. but nothing of substance.

Thank you for the pointers on practicing into the camera. It means a lot!

Posts: 16 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Morgan Freeman
posted Hide Post
Hilarious!

*sidenote: it took me 5 or 6 tries to just get through this thread! Holy pop-up ads Backstage! WTF

Posts: 17 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: March 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nicholas Cage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Too funny. Conan is a big guy and everything but I still kept waiting for Killan to say, "Don't make me hit you!" haha

Posts: 223 | Location: Hollywood Hills | Registered: September 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glenn Close
posted Hide Post
I saw it earlier today. Pretty funny stuff. lol.

Mae

Posts: 197 | Location: Midwest | Registered: March 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Morgan Freeman
posted Hide Post
I took Killian's workshop last year and booked two national commercials within 3 months after taking it. Now, the "Hey I Saw Your Commercial!" guy. I think it his name is Mike....who a total....oh never mind. Wouldn't waste my time with him. Just too 'icky' for my taste....

Posts: 265 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: May 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post