Backstage Message Board
Best Commercial Workshop/Class?

This topic can be found at:
http://bbs.backstage.com/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f/6031061/m/732108372

January 31, 2013, 10:39 AM
Mafalda
Best Commercial Workshop/Class?
Taken a shot on the off chance the right person sees this Smiler

Killian's Adult Workshop (for actors with agents) in February

I am registered for Tuesday nights but I have a conflict on the first night Frowner. Is there anyone who is registered for Adult Workshop who would like to switch my Tuesday night for another Feb Adult Workshop class?

though I'm wary of Saturday b/c I may have an acting conflict on one Saturday (fingers crossed).

I am really looking forward to this class and hope I can take it in Feb.
January 31, 2013, 10:50 AM
makemefamous
quote:
Originally posted by Mafalda:
Taken a shot on the off chance the right person sees this Smiler

Killian's Adult Workshop (for actors with agents) in February

I am registered for Tuesday nights but I have a conflict on the first night Frowner. Is there anyone who is registered for Adult Workshop who would like to switch my Tuesday night for another Feb Adult Workshop class?

though I'm wary of Saturday b/c I may have an acting conflict on one Saturday (fingers crossed).

I am really looking forward to this class and hope I can take it in Feb.
If you talk to them you can just take that one class the next session.


----
just another actor..
January 31, 2013, 04:30 PM
Mafalda
quote:
Originally posted by makemefamous:
quote:
Originally posted by Mafalda:
Taken a shot on the off chance the right person sees this Smiler

Killian's Adult Workshop (for actors with agents) in February

I am registered for Tuesday nights but I have a conflict on the first night Frowner. Is there anyone who is registered for Adult Workshop who would like to switch my Tuesday night for another Feb Adult Workshop class?

though I'm wary of Saturday b/c I may have an acting conflict on one Saturday (fingers crossed).

I am really looking forward to this class and hope I can take it in Feb.
If you talk to them you can just take that one class the next session.

thanks! I was thinking of asking them that - I'd prefer to be able to switch to a class where I wouldn't miss the first session - so I'm still hoping to see what happens with being able to switch to other nights.
January 31, 2013, 06:58 PM
shaymarie
Definitely talk to Killian, he might have a solution for you. He's a super nice guy.


https://twitter.com/im_shay
February 13, 2013, 03:31 PM
socalsinger
My agent took me bc I had Carolyne Barry and improv experience. Agent currently also promotes Killian as well.

Met some great classmates at Carolyne.
February 14, 2013, 09:16 AM
Worst1
All good info thanks guys. I have taken classes with Scott Wissner which I liked very much. Also, as an all around acting class and new to the L.A. area, ACT CLUB with Ryan Williams is pretty awesome.
February 14, 2013, 02:29 PM
makemefamous
quote:
Originally posted by Mafalda:
quote:
Originally posted by makemefamous:
quote:
Originally posted by Mafalda:
Taken a shot on the off chance the right person sees this Smiler

Killian's Adult Workshop (for actors with agents) in February

I am registered for Tuesday nights but I have a conflict on the first night Frowner. Is there anyone who is registered for Adult Workshop who would like to switch my Tuesday night for another Feb Adult Workshop class?

though I'm wary of Saturday b/c I may have an acting conflict on one Saturday (fingers crossed).

I am really looking forward to this class and hope I can take it in Feb.
If you talk to them you can just take that one class the next session.

thanks! I was thinking of asking them that - I'd prefer to be able to switch to a class where I wouldn't miss the first session - so I'm still hoping to see what happens with being able to switch to other nights.
The problem is classes are structured for different curriculum so I don't know if he'll like that but maybe he'll do it for you if you insist.


----
just another actor..
February 14, 2013, 05:19 PM
Coe Coe
From personal experience I really recommend Carolyne Barry's commercial classes. I took the intro and the intermediate classes and I think it really helps me in the audition room - I feel like I know what I'm doing and how to comfortably show the authentic me. Since finishing the second class I have been getting called back for nearly everything I go out for and have been put on avail multiple times. Hope this helps!
February 14, 2013, 11:01 PM
Thoris
quote:
Originally posted by Coe Coe:
From personal experience I really recommend Carolyne Barry's commercial classes. I took the intro and the intermediate classes and I think it really helps me in the audition room - I feel like I know what I'm doing and how to comfortably show the authentic me. Since finishing the second class I have been getting called back for nearly everything I go out for and have been put on avail multiple times. Hope this helps!


Thanks I will be setting up classes With Carolynes school.
February 15, 2013, 04:04 PM
TRUTHTELLER59
quote:
Originally posted by Thoris:
quote:
Originally posted by Coe Coe:
From personal experience I really recommend Carolyne Barry's commercial classes. I took the intro and the intermediate classes and I think it really helps me in the audition room - I feel like I know what I'm doing and how to comfortably show the authentic me. Since finishing the second class I have been getting called back for nearly everything I go out for and have been put on avail multiple times. Hope this helps!


Thanks I will be setting up classes With Carolynes school.

Just don't let her talk you into signing up for other classes within her school.

I'm sure the teachers teaching the other classes are qualified, but NO single school is known for everything. There are better places to study Meisner and an improv class from a Big 4 Improv school will benefit you more.
February 16, 2013, 10:43 PM
TRUTHTELLER59
quote:
Originally posted by Mominbiz:
Adding to the list:

Michael Donovan
Megan Foley

and adding more:

John Sudol
Terry Berland


A few months ago, I took Megan Foley Marra and Chuck Marra's one day commercial class because I wasn't getting too many commercial auditions with them.

I REALLY enjoyed it. She and Chuck taught a lot of stuff that Mike (HISYC) and Killian don't cover as well as stuff relevant to film/tv as well. Actually, they're now in my top 3 maybe even top 2 of commercial teachers.

I think John Sudol is overpriced and full of shit. He's trying to turn acting into a science by placing importance on ones facial expressions. We DON'T think about our facial expressions when we have normal conversations! So why should we when we're being filmed? If you are thinking about that shit, you're self aware and will have trouble being a truthful actor.
February 18, 2013, 04:59 PM
charlacochran
Keep it Real Acting. Judy Kain is amazing!
February 18, 2013, 07:28 PM
stevesteve
quote:
Originally posted by TRUTHTELLER59:
A few months ago, I took Megan Foley Marra and Chuck Marra's one day commercial class because I wasn't getting too many commercial auditions with them.

I REALLY enjoyed it. She and Chuck taught a lot of stuff that Mike (HISYC) and Killian don't cover as well as stuff relevant to film/tv as well. Actually, they're now in my top 3 maybe even top 2 of commercial teachers.

I think John Sudol is overpriced and full of shit. He's trying to turn acting into a science by placing importance on ones facial expressions. We DON'T think about our facial expressions when we have normal conversations! So why should we when we're being filmed? If you are thinking about that shit, you're self aware and will have trouble being a truthful actor.


I looked on Megan and Chuck's website. Is the Friday class $200? Worth it?
February 18, 2013, 09:02 PM
TRUTHTELLER59
quote:
Originally posted by stevesteve:
quote:
Originally posted by TRUTHTELLER59:
A few months ago, I took Megan Foley Marra and Chuck Marra's one day commercial class because I wasn't getting too many commercial auditions with them.

I REALLY enjoyed it. She and Chuck taught a lot of stuff that Mike (HISYC) and Killian don't cover as well as stuff relevant to film/tv as well. Actually, they're now in my top 3 maybe even top 2 of commercial teachers.

I think John Sudol is overpriced and full of shit. He's trying to turn acting into a science by placing importance on ones facial expressions. We DON'T think about our facial expressions when we have normal conversations! So why should we when we're being filmed? If you are thinking about that shit, you're self aware and will have trouble being a truthful actor.


I looked on Megan and Chuck's website. Is the Friday class $200? Worth it?

I did the Saturday 9-5pm class for $150. I thought it was worth it and if you think about it 4 2-3 hour classes are $200-300. The Saturday class is like 2 classes
February 19, 2013, 01:37 PM
stevesteve
Thanks!