Backstage Message Board
Best Commercial Workshop/Class?

This topic can be found at:
http://bbs.backstage.com/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f/6031061/m/732108372

September 21, 2010, 12:49 PM
Lauren1984
Best Commercial Workshop/Class?
Killian McHugh (Killians commercial workshop). Killian is a casting director at Allison Horn Casting so he begins each class as if it were a real commercial audition. After we are all done we come into the room and watch our auditions. He gives us corrections, and we do it again. We usually work two to three times a class. What Killian teaches you as a casting director is why most people don't book commercials. He will realte it to a casting that just took place and tell you why some actors got the call back and others didn't and then he will tell you why the actors who booked the job booked the job. Most of the time the people who get the call back and the job are the one's who do the smallest thing. I'm not going to tell you what they are cause I want you to take his class but it has nothing to do with acting.
September 21, 2010, 02:24 PM
DSFA
I'm in Mike Pointer's level II class right now. I agree that Mike isn't for everyone but he's a straight up guy who tells it like it is. You just have to understand where he's coming from. He's of the belief that actors act to make money, not spend their entire lives taking classes. He's also coming at this from a commercial perspective. You won't learn to work opposite Meryl Streep from taking his class. But I believe he is teaching what you need to know to book a 30 second spot.

Is he a little full of himself? Sure. Is he a little long winded with his stories? Sure. But he is entertaining and I believe that all (ok most) of his stories are being told for a reason. Some of which you may not fully get until you find yourself in a certain situation. Then it hits you...Oh yeah, Mike told me this could happen...

As for price? 210.00 for 4 weeks does not seem unreasonable to me. Especially when he lets you make payments each week. How is this taking advantage of anyone? Are classes supposed to be free?
September 21, 2010, 04:24 PM
TRUTHTELLER59
quote:
Originally posted by Keeping It Real:
And imo, the price of the classes for hey I saw your commercial are ridiculous. Another person taking advantage of struggling, full of hope actors.

I didn't word it properly the first time.

It's $210 for 4 weeks. NOT $210 each week for 4 weeks.
September 21, 2010, 04:51 PM
Keeping It Real
Ha ha! Well that's MUCH better. I thought, $210 per class? That is so horrible(but I wouldn't put it above some people in this industry for trying). Actually, $210 for 4 weeks is VERY fair and competitive with other classes in town. Thanks for clarifying!
September 21, 2010, 05:03 PM
Miranda B.
DSFA, have you or has anyone else taken the free class Mike Pointer does with "Hey I saw your commercial"? If you have, what did you think of it?
September 21, 2010, 05:09 PM
TRUTHTELLER59
quote:
Originally posted by Miranda B.:
DSFA, have you or has anyone else taken the free class Mike Pointer does with "Hey I saw your commercial"? If you have, what did you think of it?

Regardless if you take the class or not, you'll still get something from the free class. Mike covers stuff on the business side of acting in the class and makes it clear that he's not trying to sell his class.

Just go. You don't have anything to lose by going. He's not going to cry because you didn't sign up for his class.
September 21, 2010, 07:37 PM
Lauren1984
@TRUTHTELLER59

On Mike's website you have to pay like $20 to attend a free seminar. I don't want to do that. Can you just show up to a free seminar, do you call? How does that whole thing work?
September 21, 2010, 07:44 PM
TRUTHTELLER59
quote:
Originally posted by Lauren1984:
@TRUTHTELLER59

On Mike's website you have to pay like $20 to attend a free seminar. I don't want to do that. Can you just show up to a free seminar, do you call? How does that whole thing work?

DON'T pay that deposit! No need to call either.

Just get there EARLY! He also gives out some cool stuff like Top Agency guides if you're one of the earlier people.
September 22, 2010, 02:57 PM
Patrick92
Actually, I went to Mike Pointer's free class last month, and he only gave out door prizes to the people who paid the $24.99 seat holding fee.

You don't have to pay the seat holding fee if you don't want to. But if you want one of the prizes he gives out, he did only give them to the people who put in the deposit.
September 22, 2010, 03:06 PM
TRUTHTELLER59
He must have changed his door prize policy. I didn't pay that deposit and got a door prize.
September 22, 2010, 06:44 PM
Lauren1984
I think the thing that is good about Killian McHugh is that he doesn't make his living teaching classes. He makes his living as a commercial casting director so he sees everyday people making simple mistakes that cost them the job. When I say simple mistakes I mean simple mistakes. He's not telling you what he wants to see or what he thinks you should do, he's telling you exactly what the directors and execs are telling him as a casting director they want from a commercial actor and he is passing that valubale information on to you the actor. He's also very straight forward and doesn't hold your hand. The class is conducted as a real audition. Every student works two to three times a class in every scenario. Of course anything in life is what you make it but I don't think anyone would be dissapointed if they took his class.
January 20, 2011, 06:56 PM
Drk_Ngel
I would recommend Carolyne barry any day. she is to the point, but it comes from a good place and a acting business perspective.she'll what will work and not. after i took her class, i was well informed and equipped.i did an agent submission before i took her class and on-one responded Frowner then after i took her class, she recommended what picture for me to submit for representation and to date i've had 7 agents contact me, with 6 meetings set-up. more than half the agents saw her name on my resume and said they all loved her and her students come equipped. you have to do the work that she tells you too. you get homework, yes homework! just follow and listen to her and it will be the best money you spent on a class. did i forget to mention she was flexible with payment? that is a teacher that cares to me. she's a business so she has to charge but she works with you. she's amazing!!!!!
July 28, 2011, 01:17 PM
TRUTHTELLER59
I took Killian's class a couple of months ago and I feel that he's the best, period.

I know I've been a huge supporter of Mike of Hey, I Saw Your Commercial! but if you want to have the closest experience to an actual commercial audition, then Killian is your man.

Killian was a working commercial actor and is now a full fledged casting director so you get both perspectives and work in an actual casting facility.

Mike and Killian teach similar things with regards to various commercial audition techniques, but Killian goes into greater detail and can be more personal in a much smaller class. You also get to review your tape in Killian's class to see what you did wrong or maybe right.

My new advice is if you're "brand new" then at least take the Level 1 course of Hey, I Saw Your Commercial! to learn the business side of acting (Killian doesn't cover that) and then go to Killian. Or if you're on a budget or more advanced, go to Killian.
February 21, 2012, 12:58 PM
artoflosingbv3k
I hate dredging up such an old topic, but I'd rather do this than start a new one.

How about the commercial classes taught at Talent To Go? They seem to be taught by Judy Kain and Stephanie Lesh (teen class) with the last class being taught by Francene Selkirk, who I noticed was on your list of good Commercial teachers. I'm tempted to take it, but is it worth it to only have one class taught by Francene? I would go to Killian, but the next available spot is in May. I'm also considering Stuart K Robinson. Thoughts?
February 21, 2012, 01:02 PM
TRUTHTELLER59
quote:
Originally posted by artoflosingbv3k:
I hate dredging up such an old topic, but I'd rather do this than start a new one.

How about the commercial classes taught at Talent To Go? They seem to be taught by Judy Kain and Stephanie Lesh (teen class) with the last class being taught by Francene Selkirk, who I noticed was on your list of good Commercial teachers. I'm tempted to take it, but is it worth it to only have one class taught by Francene? I would go to Killian, but the next available spot is in May. I'm also considering Stuart K Robinson. Thoughts?

Francine is a busy commercial CD and actually it seems to be taught more by Judy Kain who has gotten very good reviews.

Some of the positive comments are it's a small class, they go over head shots, and there's an agent showcase at the end.