home subscribe
Backstage.com    Message Board Homepage  Hop To Forum Categories  Moderated Forums  Hop To Forums  Secret Agent Man    Debra Manners Talent Agency
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Debra Manners Talent Agency Login/Join

Hilary Swank
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TRUTHTELLER59:
It's a known fact that she left the prestigious Stone Manners agency on BAD terms.

But it's your career so:
Debra Manners
818-422-2063
debra.manners@yahoo.com
4804 Laurel Canyon Blvd. #212

Really, wow, I just was going to send them a hardcopy submission. They seemed very picky and its not good if she left on bad terms.

ActorinLa.com

Posts: 136 | Location: Hollywood | Registered: March 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by actress333:
She does seem to get people out on a lot of auditions, but they are largely unpaid student projects or small theater gigs. Her only successful client that I'm aware of is a kid who is repped by her brother at Stone Manners and was likely a favor to get her management company started. I've also witnessed her verbally threatening a client who couldn't make a student film audition....She may have been a great agent, but now I think she's pretty much just a loose cannon.

This sums up what I know about her office from a friend who is rep'd by her. I was going to ask my friend to pass my headshot and resume onto her, as I'm looking for representation now, but after reading this thread I think I'll pass. I asked a couple of casting directors about her as well and they said that she is aggressive on submissions, but she also indiscriminately submits on anything - students films, small theatre gigs, internet spots that pay $100, etc. She doesn't have anyone of name and doesn't really have much of a name - she just is trying to toss mass submissions out there to see what sticks. Like actress333 said, she probably was with it at one time, but now she seems a little batty and she works out of her small one bedroom apartment in the valley trying to land a client that will start bringing her more of a reputation and money.

It's sort of sad really...

Posts: 3 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: August 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nicholas Cage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mattrix:
Does anyone have any new info on this topic? Aside from Iceman's post we don't really have any trustworthy information so I'm still hopeful.

Perhaps SAM can add something new.

Thanks in advance everyone

how do you have negative 2 posts? I find this whole thread fascinating

Posts: 12 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: April 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glenn Close
posted Hide Post
Debra has clients that list her as their manager and Stone Manners as agent. That's either awkward or the whole "split" thing is overblown. Or IMDB is inaccurate which has happened once or twice.

Posts: 43 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: April 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack Nicholson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dominic:
Do you believe everything you read on the Internet? Do you have an email or website for her or not?

quote:
Originally posted by Dominic:
Please dont' listen to the negative garbage posted here. Debra Manners is the hardest working agent I've ever seen. She's like the Energizer Bunny. She was with The Daniel Hoff Agency running the Childrens Department. If Debra Manners is repping you, no one will work harder for you. And on top of that, she's not just into the dollars like some of the commercial agents are. She's into acting!!! Once you have a few agents under your belt, you'll appreciate an agent that is into your career and not into submitting you just to get the highest paying commercial or print work money, or even worse, waiting for a casting director to call and ask for you. If you book a one day co-star role...it's all good to her! Stop lieing out there!

That's funny that Dominic asked for her info like a douche that didn't know her and then defends her likes he's known her all his life on page 2. 5 star thread.

Posts: 377 | Location: LA | Registered: June 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
@ChesterM - I think it's because her brother is Scott Manners, that's why they share a couple clients. I think that one or two may have "graduated" from her and moved to Stone Manners, at least that's what I'm assuming.

Based on the little I know, it would be odd if someone who was already with Stone Manners joined with Debra - they'd already have all the submission power they'd need.

But hey, maybe we should ask Dominic, since he seems to know her pretty well. haha.

Posts: 3 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: August 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OK, so one last post and I'm moving off this thread. As I mentioned before I decided not to have my friend refer me to Debra Manners after reading what was here. I also forwarded the link to this thread so my friend would see what people were saying.

My friend emailed me back with his take on the whole thread, and was particularly struck by the following post:

quote:
Originally posted by AGDEN:
THAT IS INSANE. DEBRA MANNERS IS AN AMAZING AGENT, AND SHE WAS NEVER AN AGENT AT STONE MANNERS SO ANYONE WHO SAYS SHE IS IS A FOOLISH PERSON WHO PROBABLY HAS A PERSONAL BEEF WITH HER.
SHE HAS MADE ME AND SO MANY OF MY FRIENDS SO MUCH MONEY IN BOTH TV COMMERCIALS AND TV/FILM.

FUNNY - HOW PEOPLE CAN JUST MAKE UP STUFF LIKE THIS.

BY THE WAY, I WAS AT HER PARTY - YES, WE WERE ALL DRUNK, BUT THERE WAS NOTHING ABNORMAL ABOUT IT.

WHOEVER POSTED THIS IS A JERK AND PROBABLY NOT A VERY GOOD PERSON.

here's an excerpt from my friend's e-mail reply:

"btw - I think that the post in ALL CAPS on the first page is probably from Debra herself. She writes in all caps for EVERY e-mail, it's a strange quirk she has. Don't know if it's her for sure, but as soon as I saw ALL CAPS it was a familiar feeling. Not to mention that post also has some of her strange phrasing."

Just thought that would be fun to share with the thread. Again, all of this info coupled with my friend's personal insight leads me to believe that Debra Manners is not the right agent for me, and that she is probably, sadly, slightly deranged.

Happy Sunday everyone! Enjoy "Breaking Bad" tonight!

Julia Roberts
posted Hide Post
It has been several years since the very ugly break between Debbie-Doo and her brother Scott at Stone Manners... things are probably not as tense now. I don't think Scott would let her near the agancy again, but helping her out with some of her better clients... I could see that hapening.

Who knows, maybe she's not a raging alcoholic anymore.

Posts: 719 | Location: Hollywood, CA | Registered: August 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just an Fyi..
Debra is related to Scott Manners and she didn't leave Stone Manners on bad terms. She wasn't an agent there either, she was an office person and was in her early 20s when she worked there. For those that knew her then, who didn't party a little in their 20s?

Debra was at Daniel Hoff for a number of years, she left on good terms, I have seen the letter that was written to her from the head of the agency.. nothing bad there in fact, very supportive of her starting her own firm.

Today, Debra has a good number of clients and she has several A listers on her client list. Spencer Daniels isn't the only A lister. Debra requires that her clients are team players. They join the casting sites, they follow through going to confirmed auditions, they get their pictures done and keep their skills up. When they book and they get paid, they pay her as contract states. She doesn't keep people who are not team players, she doesn't condone clients that are union going for nonunion roles. Debra has her clients backs when they need her to be too and she can be reached 24/7.

I have known Debra personally for several years, and professionally for almost 4. She works and lives in Valley Village/Studio City. For the last 5 yrs, she has been raising her sister's kids- who has her own issues and that's another story. Debra also takes care of her father, comedian and actor Mickey Manners from the 60s 70s and 80s. She goes to church, she goes to her clients events, she remembers every birthday. She is a good person and an excellent manager.

Personally it drives me a little nuts when clients come in wanting to go for feature films only and have a few credits on their resume of regional work or student films or shorts and think they are have the experience and the training and are ready for leads in features and are not really ready.

I have never met a manager that works as hard as she does for her clients.

Mary

Yes I have seen her unhappy with her clients but nothing over the top, she doesn't have a fuse that snaps. If you follow her guidelines, keep her in the loop of things, work as a team, you will get somewhere.

Posts: 1 | Location: LA | Registered: July 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Al Pacino
posted Hide Post
I guess this response is only a year late. But Mary Tyler Moore is pretty old, and possibly senile, so I'm gonna let it go.

Posts: 1071 | Location: New York | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post