home subscribe
Backstage.com    Message Board Homepage  Hop To Forum Categories  Moderated Forums  Hop To Forums  Secret Agent Man    Bohemia Group
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bohemia Group Login/Join

Hilary Swank
posted Hide Post
I dont think so, Im just an actor chatting with other friendly actors on this forum, learning and making friends. Who are you to tell me I shouldn't post questions.

ActorinLa.com

Posts: 249 | Location: Hollywood | Registered: March 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Kevin Bacon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ActorinLA:
I dont think so, Im just an actor chatting with other friendly actors on this forum, learning and making friends. Who are you to tell me I shouldn't post questions.

With all due respect, "actor", your posts really DO suck, at least in THIS thread!

Now, does anybody ELSE have any RELEVANT information to add to this discussion?? And IF you do, PLEASE be specific about what you know and WHICH branch of Bohemia you're talking about!! There are several branches of this management company, and I have a feeling that, contrary to assertions made earlier in this thread, Bohemia is NOT the "same" company in LA that it is in other cities.

THANKS!!

Posts: 14 | Location: New York | Registered: January 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SRST:
Can you update on how it goes? Ryan Glasgow from Bohemia has been on my dream list of managers since I heard him speak at a seminar a while back. From what I've seen through my own research on them they have a solid and talented group of clients. Congrats on the meeting!

It went well I think. I'll PM you when I have more info.

And FYI play nice everyone. We all have to share this sandbox we call the entertainment field. Let's try and keep it clean as possible.

Posts: 5 | Location: Akron, Ohio | Registered: September 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Kevin Bacon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dramaqueen09

It went well I think. I'll PM you when I have more info...

And please feel free to PM me, too, "drama", if, for whatever reason, you feel you cannot post your info. publicly in this thread. However, I think you still need to specify which office of Bohemia you are dealing with? I have a feeling you may be dealing with a branch office that is NOT either New York (the branch that interests me) OR LA (which is the one that "SRST" apparently would like to pursue). Otherwise, you will just be comparing apples to oranges.

And I really don't care if the "tone" gets a little nasty; I just care that we COMMUNICATE CLEARLY with each other vis-a-vis these issues, such as branch office, etc. We ARE actors, after all, so let's try to communicate as CLEARLY as we can, OK?

THANKS!

Posts: 14 | Location: New York | Registered: January 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Kevin Bacon
posted Hide Post
Yes, they're legit and good. I was cast and featured in a reality pilot about la actors a couple of years back. As a part of the pilot, I got to meet with one of their managers one on one at their office in LA.

Posts: 21 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: June 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ryan Glasgow is one of six managers in the LA Bohemia Group office which is considered headquarters now that so many satellite offices have opened under that umbrella. Susan Ferris is the CEO and opened Bohemia's doors 21 years ago, she is in the LA office. There are active offices in NY, the UK, New Orleans, ATL, Pittsburgh, and Dallas right now. As far as I know, there are plans to open offices in Vancouver, Seattle, Paris and Toronto, in the near future. I hope this helps to clarify a bit!

Posts: 2 | Location: California | Registered: July 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nonstagemom:
I thought I was pretty specific, and I did elaborate. But, because you want details, posting on legitimate sites, like film office sites. Using free resources that seem somewhat vetted for the actors, web series that are looking for specific roles, ages, etc. Going to this production office that is very nice, by the way, auditioning before a very charming producer. Asking for both union and nonunion. Wasting everyone's time, parking $. I knew they weren't legit, because they would have contacted the actor through the agent, if said actor stated it SPECIFICALLY on their resume if they got the role. Soon after this scam, ruse, whatever, the production no longer posted on the film bureau's site, and have never heard of this production going any further. Also, as part of the appeal of signing on with this manager, the actor would be attached to certain projects, blah blah. Need I get even more specific? How desperate can a company be?

I can say from personal experience that this above never happened and your experience was absolutely not with Bohemia Group. You must have had this bad experience with another company that is not in any way affiliated with Bohemia.

Posts: 2 | Location: California | Registered: July 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Denzel Washington
posted Hide Post
I have personal experience with Bohemia in LA. They are professional and hardworking. You guys are all crazy.

Posts: 118 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: June 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Kevin Bacon
posted Hide Post
Ok, that's all fine and dandy. I think we can safely assume that the LA office is just peachy, without continuing to post additional comments on THAT particular branch office any further. Kapish?

While it seems as though the LA (main) office of Bohemia is legit, on the ball, great people, blah blah blah, all that, I do not believe the same can be said of their relatively new New York counterparts.

I have heard that they have actors on Broadway, and they probably have actors in commercials, too. I don't really care about those fields, honestly, so, if you work in those areas, you should probably tune out of this message.

Nowadays, it seems pretty commonplace that managers, other than perhaps higher level managers, usually act like de facto agents, submitting actors directly to the breakdowns. With respect to Film and TV, however, Bohemia New York seems to be a CLUNKER. Suffice it to say, Bohemia New York does not seem to have enough clout in the Film/TV world, either with casting directors or higher level agencies. I can go into more details if you send me a PM. If you are an actor who is seriously pursuing a Film/TV career in New York and you are in need of career advancement, you should look elsewhere for management.

Among those film/TV actors who do experience at least a modicum of success while signed with Bohemia New York, it is most likely that, in such cases, the ACTORS are doing most of the heavy lifting. In other words, if they do actually pitch an actor to a casting director instead of just submit through the breakdowns, and the CD does give Bohemia New York an audition time for the actor, it is probably because the actor already knows the CD or recently PAID to audition for the CD *ON THEIR OWN* at a workshop, etc.

There also seems to be another curious problem with Bohemia New York: it seems as though their M.O. is to take their more successful actors and ask (in some cases, URGE, apparently) these actors to let go of their current agents if they are free-lancing with the agents or are easily able to get out of any existing agents' agreements. Instead, Bohemia New York urges these actors to sign exclusively and across the board with...um...ACROSS THE BOARD Talent Agency. This is Guy Kochlani's agency which has apparently just opened a BRAND spanking new branch office in New York.

I have no idea if Bohemia LA has a similar policy of trying to get their LA clients to sign with the LA office of Across the Board. However, these Bohemia New York clients who agree to make this switch end up with both a manager with a name that is still relatively unfamiliar with New York film/TV casting directors and an agency which is COMPLETELY new to the New York market.

Another questionable move on their part is to have all clients, even those who have mediocre resumes, sign with them without offering any "trial" period. So, a management company that's still relatively unknown in the New York market signs actors, some of whom are also relatively unknown. In addition to everything else I have mentioned, actors who aren't satisfied with Bohemia New York don't have an official out until the end of the first year of their contract unless Bohemia offers them a "release" which I know for a fact they have already done more than once.

This begs the question: why force contracts on actors in New York, Bohemia????

In a nutshell, if Bohemia New York expresses an interest in "managing" your film/TV acting career, FORGET IT!