Find
Notify
Tools

SAG advice Login/Join

Hilary Swank
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vic:
Just the kind of judgemental, kneejerk response I was hoping to avoid. Not "extra cash", probably my main cash source. Not junk, not even most of it. I know what ADs get paid on DGA features. I've been making equal or more than DGA rates on indie features for years, so, again, that's beside the point. I don't need the pension & health. I have a good IRA & health coverage. Also - the actors are being paid SAG rates, thanks very much, and the "name" actors are getting much more. So, after your vitriol, anyone else have anything productive to say? Please?

Just because I'm curious, if they're paying everyone SAG rates etc. why aren't they a SAG production?

“Absorb what is useful, Discard what is not, Add what is uniquely your own.” - Bruce Lee

Posts: 92 | Location: Burbank, CA | Registered: January 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Al Pacino
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scoobings:
quote:
Originally posted by Vic:
Just the kind of judgemental, kneejerk response I was hoping to avoid. Not "extra cash", probably my main cash source. Not junk, not even most of it. I know what ADs get paid on DGA features. I've been making equal or more than DGA rates on indie features for years, so, again, that's beside the point. I don't need the pension & health. I have a good IRA & health coverage. Also - the actors are being paid SAG rates, thanks very much, and the "name" actors are getting much more. So, after your vitriol, anyone else have anything productive to say? Please?

Just because I'm curious, if they're paying everyone SAG rates etc. why aren't they a SAG production?

Yeah, I'm curious too. Sounds like they are SAG productions, but lower-budget. All that "indie" means is it's not affiliated with a major studio. The high-budget ones of those generally use DGA directors anyway. Is it a ULB? Then the SAG actors other than the names are getting just $100 a day. It's doubtful they'd be paying DGA rates or higher to non-DGA talent for ADs. If they are, that's insulting to the actors.

Posts: 263 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: January 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
An indie film certainly does not mean that the actors are non union. It might fall in to the category of LB,MLB,or ULB but that just means the actors are being paid at a lower rate but their earnings are going toward p/h etc.. Just for the record there are no names that are non union or even fi-core. Jon Voight is the only one I know of. Clooney is rumored to be fi-core in one of the other unions but certainly not SAG.
The uninformed always say there are tons of name actors that are fi-core. There aren't!!!!!

Posts: 23 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: August 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So here is my story. This is purely my experience and not speaking for anyone else. Being an actor in LA was difficult for me. As a Hispanic actor, I was being sent to stuff that were stereotypes that I never seemed to be right for. My agents told me I would be considered for other roles, but never happened. I tried everything to progress my career; resume building via student films, start an acting group, a podcast, etc. But nothing happened. I was also geographically challenged as I was living outside of LA. I had a 40+ hour a week job. A mortgage, etc. LIFE and now a baby! It was the cards I was dealt and I never complained. But most in my circle of acting peers didn't have that and could afford to take risks that I couldn't to progress. I could never find my footing to progress me. So we decided to move to Seattle WA. I have now entered a smaller market where non-union work is more prominent over union. It was recently mentioned to me (not suggested, promoted, or lead me to) FINANCIAL CORE. I was told it may be something to consider if I wanted more opportunity to work since I am Union status. I never knew it existed before now.

I came out here to concentrate on my acting career and give myself more opportunity than I had in LA. For me, the opportunity IS here. Its more color blind out here for me and supportive. I want to work and support my family and keep on track with progressing as a working actor. To stick with the risk I took for my career and not fall back into a 40+ hour a week job and loose sight of my career. Im not against my union status and am very much for what they stand for, but financially, I am strongly considering Financial Core as a way to support my family. There is hardly any info as far as dealing with the union when it comes to this. Am I black listed? Am I shunned? Can I and how do I reinstate my union status when I am in a possession to do so? What benefits do I keep? Lose? Who can I talk to? etc. I need advice. So far, everyone I spoke to is VERY union and maybe doesn't understand the position im in and what im trying to do. What was your experience like? How have you been treated on SAG sets? All that good stuff? Im sorry if that was a lot of info, but I don't know who to talk to. And to those who may "poo-poo" on this in anyway, right away, please consider my specific situation. I can tell you right now, that if i had remained in LA, I probably would NOT consider this.

Posts: 7 | Location: Seattle, Wa | Registered: April 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nicholas Cage
posted Hide Post
Did anyone mention you get VOTED back in Union after going FICORE!

Let say in one region you got 500 actors all who paid their dues and ALL love the union. They all back up! They understand how the UNION work for them. They understand the LINK MUST STAY strong no matter what sacrifices everyone had made.

And you come along and say: Hey I want back. And you are asking the MAJORITY 500 union to say yes to get you back in.

These MEMBERS who stayed with the UNION can vote and you can't.

WHAT DO YOU THINK THEY VOTE?

If I was a member, I will say thumbs down if I had a vote. I understand the HISTORY of how the UNION came to be. I know what actors gone through hell in traveling as troupes, the thrills and pains of the BEGINNING of film as the SILVER SCREEN history of what THOSE actors had to go through without PROTECTION of the UNION!

I am for it. If I ever go for it. You go Fi-core...You are in trouble. The only people who can come back if the are Ficore if they had gone to prison for many years..I might vote for they did their time in crime...AT least they had REAL reason which that HELD them back to be an actor. Or being in the Service. I can understand that.

Its like telling the Judge WHY you can't be a jury duty. THERE IS NO REAL WAY OUT in a Jury duty. As going Ficore going back union. You can't the chances are against you!!!

And those actors who go FICORE! Thank you! Less I have to deal in the food chain.

And WHO says you need an agent if your union? YOu can STILL find work without an agent!

I am from BOSTON area so we do our own foot work! Which makes us a REVOLUTION FIGHTING people. I had to say it!

-----

The Disciple that Jesus loves! (ME!)
----
Your closer to your success than you think!
----
www.imdb.me/marytennant
www.mary-tennant.com

Posts: 123 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: December 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Marlon Brando
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Full:
Just for the record there are no names that are non union or even fi-core. Jon Voight is the only one I know of. Clooney is rumored to be fi-core in one of the other unions but certainly not SAG.

Clooney is Fi-core within the Writer's Guild

Posts: 2134 | Location: LA,CA | Registered: May 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Marlon Brando
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MaryTennant:

Let say in one region you got 500 actors all who paid their dues and ALL love the union. They all back up! They understand how the UNION work for them. They understand the LINK MUST STAY strong no matter what sacrifices everyone had made.

And you come along and say: Hey I want back. And you are asking the MAJORITY 500 union to say yes to get you back in.

If I was a member, I will say thumbs down if I had a vote. I understand the HISTORY of how the UNION came to be. I know what actors gone through hell in traveling as troupes, the thrills and pains of the BEGINNING of film as the SILVER SCREEN history of what THOSE actors had to go through without PROTECTION of the UNION!

I am for it. If I ever go for it. You go Fi-core...You are in trouble. The only people who can come back if the are Ficore if they had gone to prison for many years..I might vote for they did their time in crime...AT least they had REAL reason which that HELD them back to be an actor. Or being in the Service. I can understand that.

Its like telling the Judge WHY you can't be a jury duty. THERE IS NO REAL WAY OUT in a Jury duty. As going Ficore going back union. You can't the chances are against you!!!

And those actors who go FICORE! Thank you! Less I have to deal in the food chain.

And WHO says you need an agent if your union? YOu can STILL find work without an agent!

I am from BOSTON area so we do our own foot work! Which makes us a REVOLUTION FIGHTING people. I had to say it!

HOLY FUCK! You're so damn misinformed!

How is it less to deal on the food chain? Fi-Core actors audition with full Union members for union projects. Casting Directors, directors, and producers are NOT going to go "eww he's ficore." FiCore is a U.S. Supreme Court decision so someone can easily take those people to Supreme Court.

Fi-Core by law and contrary to the what SAG-AFTRA propaganda to scare people with is defined as a MEMBER OF THE UNION who has chosen to not participate in the political affairs.

Fi-Core actors pay dues TO THE UNION and SAG-AFTRA does take people back in.

Posts: 2134 | Location: LA,CA | Registered: May 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Marlon Brando
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ocho-wan kenobi:
Am I black listed? Am I shunned? Can I and how do I reinstate my union status when I am in a possession to do so? What benefits do I keep? Lose? Who can I talk to? etc. I need advice. So far, everyone I spoke to is VERY union and maybe doesn't understand the position im in and what im trying to do. What was your experience like? How have you been treated on SAG sets? All that good stuff? Im sorry if that was a lot of info, but I don't know who to talk to. And to those who may "poo-poo" on this in anyway, right away, please consider my specific situation. I can tell you right now, that if i had remained in LA, I probably would NOT consider this.

NO YOU WON'T BE BLACKLISTED! That's the dumbest misinformation about Fi-Core.

Here are the facts from SAG-AFTRA themselves:

-You give up all Union benefits EXCEPT residuals and health insurance benefits

-You can no longer vote on Union affairs

-You're still paying dues and thus are allowed to be reinstated. They try to scare you into saying "that you can't come back"

If you want to be smart about being Fi-Core, KEEP YOUR FUCKING MOUTH SHUT ABOUT IT!

If you're auditioning for Union gigs, put SAG-AFTRA. If you're auditioning non union, SAG-AFTRA Eligible. DON'T put FiCore on your resume! Casting Directors, producers, and directors ONLY care if you're paid up or not. They're not going to call SAG-AFTRA and go is he a full member or Fi-Core?

Nicholas Cage
posted Hide Post
A Casting director in Tampa hates Fi-core! She admit it.

quote:
Originally posted by TRUTHTELLER59:
quote:
Originally posted by MaryTennant:

HOLY FUCK! You're so damn misinformed!

How is it less to deal on the food chain? Fi-Core actors audition with full Union members for union projects. Casting Directors, directors, and producers are NOT going to go "eww he's ficore." FiCore is a U.S. Supreme Court decision so someone can easily take those people to Supreme Court.

Fi-Core by law and contrary to the what SAG-AFTRA propaganda to scare people with is defined as a MEMBER OF THE UNION who has chosen to not participate in the political affairs.

Fi-Core actors pay dues TO THE UNION and SAG-AFTRA does take people back in.

-----

The Disciple that Jesus loves! (ME!)
----
Your closer to your success than you think!
----
www.imdb.me/marytennant
www.mary-tennant.com

Posts: 123 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: December 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Marlon Brando
posted Hide Post
Oooh a casting director in fucking Florida...

How would she know if someone was FiCore. The smart actors who have made that decision don't tell anyone they are.

Glenn Close
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TRUTHTELLER59:
quote:
Originally posted by ocho-wan kenobi:
Am I black listed? Am I shunned? Can I and how do I reinstate my union status when I am in a possession to do so? What benefits do I keep? Lose? Who can I talk to? etc. I need advice. So far, everyone I spoke to is VERY union and maybe doesn't understand the position im in and what im trying to do. What was your experience like? How have you been treated on SAG sets? All that good stuff? Im sorry if that was a lot of info, but I don't know who to talk to. And to those who may "poo-poo" on this in anyway, right away, please consider my specific situation. I can tell you right now, that if i had remained in LA, I probably would NOT consider this.

NO YOU WON'T BE BLACKLISTED! That's the dumbest misinformation about Fi-Core.

Here are the facts from SAG-AFTRA themselves:

-You give up all Union benefits EXCEPT residuals and health insurance benefits

-You can no longer vote on Union affairs

-You're still paying dues and thus are allowed to be reinstated. They try to scare you into saying "that you can't come back"

If you want to be smart about being Fi-Core, KEEP YOUR FUCKING MOUTH SHUT ABOUT IT!

If you're auditioning for Union gigs, put SAG-AFTRA. If you're auditioning non union, SAG-AFTRA Eligible. DON'T put FiCore on your resume! Casting Directors, producers, and directors ONLY care if you're paid up or not. They're not going to call SAG-AFTRA and go is he a full member or Fi-Core?

Not that the Union website is the most objective place to get information, but according to it you have to "petition" your way back in, and you are not allowed to actually represent yourself as union on your resume and crap.

Anyway, regardless of if this is true, I have worked enough non-union shit to know that for every 1 decent non-union job there are thousands where you will get low pay, get treated like shit, get booked and then cancelled the day before, not get paid, and a whole host of other shit that you have little recourse to do anything about.

Posts: 956 | Location: New York | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glenn Close
posted Hide Post
There are people who care if you are Fi-Core or not. They wouldn't tell you, of course.

If you're going down that road don't let anyone know; you stand to gain nothing but risk losing something.

Posts: 276 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: August 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post