home subscribe
Backstage.com    Message Board Homepage  Hop To Forum Categories  Moderated Forums  Hop To Forums  Secret Agent Man    How to go about submitting off the breakdowns
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How to go about submitting off the breakdowns Login/Join

Sean Penn
posted
If you get the breakdowns, how do you go about submitting to them?

Most of them say submit electronically...So should I....

1. Contact my agent that I freelance with and tell them that I noticed a role that would be good for me.

2. Email casting directors directly if I find their email on imdbpro?

3. Hard copy submission if the audition date is at least 4-7 days away?

Thanks

Posts: 41 | Location: New York City | Registered: July 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Al Pacino
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by quazimoto:

1. Contact my agent that I freelance with and tell them that I noticed a role that would be good for me.

Thanks

I guess any of those, but none of them are likely to work. No. 1 might piss off your agent. No. 2 will probably piss the CDs off. And by the time you get the breakdown, the audition slots have probably already been determined.

Posts: 263 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: January 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Marlon Brando
posted Hide Post
Hard copies will get shredded by major CDs.

Emailing them will piss the CDs off. They RARELY give out their emails for a good reason. If they do, then it's an email they ONLY check in their FREE time. Note: FREE time, something they don't always have.

Posts: 2147 | Location: LA,CA | Registered: May 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack Nicholson
posted Hide Post
You can email an agent that you're freelancing with IF you have something worthwhile to add.

ie.

Hey - I saw that breakdown for BLAH BLAH that John Smith is casting. I thought I would be pretty good for the role of Joe. John Smith knows me pretty well, I took his on-camera class last month and he gave me great feedback.

Those are the kinds of emails agents don't mind.

If you just say "Hey I saw this breakdown and I'm right for it", then you're doing their job and they're going to get annoyed.

Posts: 349 | Location: New York | Registered: June 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Harrison Ford
posted Hide Post
Are you referring to breakdowns you see on public casting sites, or breakdowns that are not open to the public that you obtain privately through another source?

- MIB -
"If you can dream, you can do. Making it happen is up to you!"

Posts: 874 | Location: SoCal | Registered: July 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Marlon Brando
posted Hide Post
quote:

Thanks

Yeah, are you getting illegally obtained breakdowns? Or are you only looking at the crappy ones that the public sees?

Posts: 2147 | Location: LA,CA | Registered: May 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
They may be illegal. who is to tell, I don;t know...but yes the good ones

Posts: 41 | Location: New York City | Registered: July 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Marlon Brando
posted Hide Post
quote:

Because the CDs ONLY release those to agents and only those agents who are allowed to see them can submit electronically.

With pirated breakdowns, you either use them as expensive toilet paper or you go to their offices IN PERSON as soon as you get the breakdown and be prepared to get A LOT of "GTFO of my office!"

Also, are you actually in a real market? No LA or NY CD is going to respond to someone from Wyoming.

Al Pacino
posted Hide Post
quote:

How do you get them? A hardcopy pdf at the end of the day or the next day? Too late for TV. For films, you have to get the CD's address and then usually somehow get on a studio lot.

Posts: 263 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: January 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
So basically what all you guys are saying is that its pointless to get the illegal breakdowns and submit to them. I know a bunch of actors that do this, some spend a lot of ca$h for them too.

I guess it can't hurt to check 'em out just to know what's casting and who's casting what though.

Posts: 5 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: January 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Russell Crowe
posted Hide Post
I was getting the "good" breaks via e-mail until dude got popped by the popo for it last summer. another guy I've known personally for years did time in county for doing the same thing. That said, if you got a good source, generally it's e-mail first thing in the morning. then you use mobile mailbox to have it messengered to the casting offices same day. I think mobile mailbox is still around..and, no, I don't feel bad about it. Those actors access dudes financially rape you every time you want to upload your reel..even their shitty iphone app is overpriced. Fuck 'em. I need to work.

Posts: 70 | Location: NY | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Marlon Brando
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Megatron:
So basically what all you guys are saying is that its pointless to get the illegal breakdowns and submit to them. I know a bunch of actors that do this, some spend a lot of ca$h for them too.

I guess it can't hurt to check 'em out just to know what's casting and who's casting what though.

What you do with pirated breakdowns is as soon as you get them, you actually go to the CD's office and give your stuff to the actual CD, NOT the assistant who works the front desk and is usually ordered to shred any unsolicited headshots. You'll get a lot of "GTFO out of my office", but some might be nice enough to let you audition. You better bring it if they let you!

But the difficulty with going to their office is it's either on a studio lot or the listed address is the CSA mailbox which they hardly check. Only a actually give out their real address, but if you know it, you can try.

Marlon Brando
posted Hide Post
*Only a few actually give out their real addresses.

posted Hide Post
Would love to know more thoughts on this

Posts: 1 | Location: NYC | Registered: January 04, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Marlon Brando
posted Hide Post
Another way of using pirated breakdowns is if you do get them, you can also use it in better targeting CD workshops. Say you get them in the morning and see something by Jeff Greenberg for Modern Family that is totally right for you. An lo and behold, Jeff happens to be doing a casting director workshop later that night. Now is your chance to wow him and maybe he might bring you in. DON'T go to the workshop and say "I heard you're casting this role..." Pretend you don't know and just do a good job.

Another way I use them, is if I see something and I recently got a 4 or 5 from the same CD, I tell my agent that I've gotten 4s and 5s from that CD. BE SURE TO CHECK IF YOUR AGENT IS COOL WITH THIS! SOME AGENTS AREN'T!