Pay to be in a movie: Magic Elevator

This topic can be found at:
http://bbs.backstage.com/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f/6031061/m/369107604

February 05, 2013, 04:35 PM
TRUTHTELLER59
Pay to be in a movie: Magic Elevator
quote:
Originally posted by TMR:
The only "Aleksandra Slaska" listed on IMDB is a Polish actress who died in 1989.

Berenika is Polish too! Hmm....
February 05, 2013, 05:27 PM
ManagerDad
quote:
Originally posted by ManagerDad:
Just to play devil's advocate, is the quality any worse than other movies with a similar budget? And do we know that there's no way to make money from these? (And no, I'm not considering doing one of these. Smiler )

Upon reflection, I guess there's no way to fix the credibility issue. If you get cast in a crappy $50k movie, that's still way better than paying to be in a crappy $50k movie. Or even if you fund your own project with like-minded friends, that is (and should be) a respected activity, whereas paying to be in a movie isn't. Creating your own project takes initiative and contacts, paying to be in a movie takes nothing but money.
February 05, 2013, 07:24 PM
Aleksandra Slaska
quote:
is the quality any worse than other movies with a similar budget?

Yes. It is best.
February 05, 2013, 07:31 PM
TRUTHTELLER59
quote:
Originally posted by Aleksandra Slaska:
quote:
is the quality any worse than other movies with a similar budget?

Yes. It is best.

Yes it is worse than most low budget films. And it is the best scam for desperate actors.
February 06, 2013, 01:36 PM
ChesterM
I don't understand why anybody would do these projects.

If you are looking for footage, its a lot cheaper to go someplace like ReelPros where the production quality is good and you have some control over the material and editing.

If you are looking for credits, the Magic Elevator stuff won't stand up to scrutiny. It might fill a blank line on your resume or IMDB (and I know that's the attraction for most who choose to pay for these roles) but be prepared to be answer to an agent or CD when they ask flat out, "You paid to be in this movie, right?" If you aren't ready to answer that, don't put it on your resume. That could be a very uncomfortable moment at a workshop in front of your peers.
February 07, 2013, 05:02 PM
TRUTHTELLER59
THEY'RE BACK!

Several of my friends got this when they submitted for some project on Actors Access:

Project: THE CURSE OF THE STATUE/ADVENTURE FILM

Thank you for your interest in our adventure/family film.

We get together to be Lead actors in the right script and invest in our own projects as Executive Producers/Investors, putting few thousands (usually 5) into a budget of the film we are staring in as LEADS.

We don't "pay to be in a film" as the jealous and bitter may say but each of us owns part of the film and have participation in net profits of the film after it sells - we invest to get our money back and then some. We don't physically produce - filmmakers do it for us.

The goal: fast forward our careers in this competitive market and show our talent on a big screen, get professional film footage for the reel, great on set stills for promo materials, get better agents and managers after the screening.

?If it's not your cup of tea and you are unable to invest we will have more auditions later on for smaller, featured roles that don't require investing at the same time.??

If you are interested in joining this collaborative business model and be a Lead of the film come to the audition - we are shooting a family adventure/magical feature in LA. It shoots in 6 weeks and we have most of the parts cast already (2 roles are left).

If you are NY based you must be open to work as LA local and for production period (up to 8 days for each character) accommodate yourself in LA and commute to set and to the production office for rehearsals in between shooting.

Hired producers will shoot, edit and distribute/sell the film internationally at Hong Kong Film Market, American Film Market & Cannes Film Market (we work with production and distribution company) so we all can get our money back plus points at the end.

We have done it in the past few times and it worked very well- one film is on Amazon now, few are scheduled for Netflix and Starz so the formula works no matter what the jealous say.?

Everything is done through contracts, checks, company bank accounts, etc so there is a track record of everything. We work with producers/directors who have done more than 10 feature films having high credibility. Realistically we get our investment back in 9-12 months from when the movie is done.

We all get 110% investment back and back end points. Details in the private email.??In the meantime, we get a theatrical premiere of the film to get better agents/managers, invite industry executives, directors and casting directors, family and friends and get a copy to take our reels to the next level.

We shoot on RED so the quality is excellent. We understand that this model of advancing your acting career is not possible for everyone. ??If that's something that interests you email us for sides and we will send you IMDB info on the company, their previous trailers/films, script, etc.

We have audition session coming this Sunday, Feb 10th and Monday 11th, then callback on Wed 13th and Thu 14th. Everyone will be given their separate audition spot.

If you are NY based please send a youtube link with your audition and we'll take it from there.

You can decide if to create film with us in this model only after callbacks and talking with producers where you can ask all possible questions. Auditions first to ensure you fit the part and only then business.

For audition address, sides, info on the business model and any questions please email our casting director, Lidia at casting@afm2012films.com?

Please write in a title of the email "Adventure Family Film".

We are looking forward to your audition.
February 07, 2013, 08:57 PM
Aleksandra Slaska
We are not Actors Access!

Also, I am not Magic Elevator and I am not that woman actress producer!
February 07, 2013, 11:31 PM
makemefamous
quote:
We are not Actors Access!

Also, I am not Magic Elevator and I am not that woman actress producer!
Where can I submit?

----
just another actor..
February 07, 2013, 11:39 PM
TRUTHTELLER59
I think Actors Access did the right thing and took Magic Elevator's casting down.

HAHA!
February 10, 2013, 04:53 PM
Aleksandra Slaska
quote:
Actors Access did the right thing and took Magic Elevator's casting down.

Too bad because that company is just too great.

Quentin Tarantino just bought their last movie Painkiller starring Foxx Waltz and DiCaprio. It is now on the website.
February 10, 2013, 05:40 PM
shaymarie
quote:
quote:

Quentin Tarantino just bought their last movie Painkiller starring Foxx Waltz and DiCaprio. It is now on the website.

This post implies Painkiller stars Foxx, Waltz and DiCaprio, which isn't true. It looks like the movie premiered at the New Beverly Cinema - the theater is owned by Tarantino.
February 10, 2013, 07:58 PM
Syphus
quote:
quote:

You could at least go through the effort of fake putting Waltz and DiCaprio on the IMDB page...it would make your attempt to lie slightly more believable.

If you put this little effort into lying, I can only imagine how bad your films must be.
February 11, 2013, 01:38 PM
ChesterM
I find it fascinating that not a single Magic Elevator film has received a single published review, good or bad.
February 11, 2013, 03:28 PM
Aleksandra Slaska
There is bad rumor that only reason Magic Elevator hit movie Jaguar is sold out in Amazon is because they did six only copies.

They did more.
February 11, 2013, 03:51 PM
Trillian
Like 10! maybe *gasp* 12!!!