home subscribe
Backstage.com    Message Board Homepage  Hop To Forum Categories  Moderated Forums  Hop To Forums  Secret Agent Man    Overly Cautious?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Overly Cautious? Login/Join

posted
So, I was perusing Craigslist for auditions and I replied to one asking for extras for a BET Awards sketch with promise of a SAG voucher for payment. They emailed me back - but the address was for a sound equipment store and Google literally couldn't find them online ANYWHERE - there were actually 0 results for the studio name they gave.
I decided not to go, as that made me uncomfortable. Was I overly cautious?

Posts: 4 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: October 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Anthony Hopkins
posted Hide Post
Perhaps... but it's better to err on the side of caution.

I would have Google Earthed them to see the storefront. If they were local, I would have done a drive-by (looking, not shooting).

I find the fact that they were offering a "sag voucher" VERY questionable.

Posts: 712 | Location: Hollywood, CA | Registered: August 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Harrison Ford
posted Hide Post
Yeah, that's definitely questionable. I'm not sure what the scam would be but nothing sounds right about this situation.

Secret Agent Man
Back Stage Columnist

Posts: 1139 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: April 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Denzel Washington
posted Hide Post
Maybe they wanted to use the storefront for a film location?

Posts: 87 | Location: New York, NY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Harrison Ford
posted Hide Post
Craigslist is great if you're buying a used car but it's not the place to find legitimate auditions.

Secret Agent Man
Back Stage Columnist

Posts: 1139 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: April 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Morgan Freeman
posted Hide Post
Unless things have changed since the last time I knew anything about anything, which is entirely possible, you can not be "paid" with a SAG voucher.
What the voucher is vouching for is that the person was paid the SAG rate as agreed upon by the SAG contract.
A voucher has no value and if a legit producer is promising them in lieu of actual payment I am certain SAG would like to know about it as that is very much not ok.

Trust your instincts. And stop looking on CL for acting work.

Posts: 149 | Location: Hollywood, CA | Registered: April 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Anthony Hopkins
posted Hide Post
I believe you are correct, JJS.

Posts: 712 | Location: Hollywood, CA | Registered: August 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post