home subscribe
Backstage.com    Message Board Homepage  Hop To Forum Categories  Moderated Forums  Hop To Forums  Secret Agent Man    NEW COLUMN - Guest Stars/Co-Stars
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

NEW COLUMN - Guest Stars/Co-Stars Login/Join

Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
dirtysocks smells pretty good right now, congrats

Posts: 6 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: October 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
Thank you actors helper!

quote:
Originally posted by frisco to L.A.:
dirtysocks smells pretty good right now, congrats

This made me laugh. I don't know why the hell I chose this name, I guess I was feeling contrary. I'm actually very clean and feminine.

Posts: 7 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: March 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
hey dirtysocks i sent you a pm, please holla back

Posts: 6 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: October 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Harrison Ford
posted Hide Post
Dirtysocks - thank you for proving my point! And congratulations!!

Secret Agent Man
Back Stage Columnist

Posts: 989 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: April 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
Thanks SAM, you're pretty much always right. Wink

Posts: 7 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: March 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Harrison Ford
posted Hide Post
I wish more women would say that to me...

Secret Agent Man
Back Stage Columnist

Posts: 989 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: April 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dirtysocks:
This new column is so timely for me. I've done 6 co-stars and have been consistently auditioning at the guest star level for the past 6 months while still going in for the occasion co-star if the scene is decent enough.

I recently went straight to producers for a recurring guest star role, but didn't get it. The producers offered me a co-star role instead and I turned it down. I was tempted to just take the part for the money but I'm so glad I said no.

A couple hours after rejecting the offer, the producers came back with a new offer. They upgraded the co-star to a guest star, wrote in a new scene, and then decided to use my character as a possible love interest for one of the regulars on the show.

I just finished work on my second episode where I was booked as a recurring guest star. By simply saying no, I was pushed from being stuck at the co-star level, to having a recurring guest star credit.

Sometimes, you have to have the balls to say no.

That is AMAZING! Love hearing stories like this. Congrats on standing your ground and on the awesome gig Smiler Woohoo!

Posts: 3 | Location: Los Angeles, CA  | Registered: June 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Secret Agent Man:
I wish more women would say that to me...

LOL LOL LOL

You're right!
Sexiest words ever right?

Posts: 3 | Location: Los Angeles, CA  | Registered: June 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congrats Dirtysocks!

Posts: 9 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: November 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the well wishes, everyone! I still can't believe it happened. Smiler

Denzel Washington
posted Hide Post
Very informative SAM
I guess we as actors are always feeling a bit guarded with our careers and fear of offending in some way "the powers that be" that can hurt our paths.
So this helped put a better understanding into place. Thank you.

Posts: 20 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: May 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Russell Crowe
posted Hide Post
how motivating!! congrats! my acting coach talks about this alot. i currently i have 2 co-stars and only want 3more. thnx for the share

quote:
Originally posted by dirtysocks:
This new column is so timely for me. I've done 6 co-stars and have been consistently auditioning at the guest star level for the past 6 months while still going in for the occasion co-star if the scene is decent enough.

I recently went straight to producers for a recurring guest star role, but didn't get it. The producers offered me a co-star role instead and I turned it down. I was tempted to just take the part for the money but I'm so glad I said no.

A couple hours after rejecting the offer, the producers came back with a new offer. They upgraded the co-star to a guest star, wrote in a new scene, and then decided to use my character as a possible love interest for one of the regulars on the show.

I just finished work on my second episode where I was booked as a recurring guest star. By simply saying no, I was pushed from being stuck at the co-star level, to having a recurring guest star credit.

Sometimes, you have to have the balls to say no.

Posts: 34 | Location: city of angels | Registered: May 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glenn Close
posted Hide Post
This is a great article, and it is a subject that has been touch upon in some of your previous articles.

However, I still think its not enough. This milestone is one of the more challenging, as well as somewhat intimidating in an actors career.

I would like more articles written on this subject. When to jump to guest star, when to say no...and when, even when you are at the guest star level, you should say yes. There is a lot of strategy in this...as well as a lot of guts. Talent goes without saying.

Posts: 189 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
SAM - What if you have only a few co-stars on your resume and you want to read for guest stars? What if you just have one co-star credit and you want to make that leap?

Posts: 22 | Location: LA | Registered: November 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
I used to post under the name dirtysocks so that story about jumping from co-star level to recurring guest star is about me. I even blogged about it here. That recurring guest star role ended up being 3 episodes!

Leading up to that opportunity, I simply started turning down co-star auditions. I only made exceptions for roles that had really strong scenes, especially if they were opposite star names. At that point, casting directors that I had strong relationships with were bringing me in without even having been submitted. We would basically tell them that I was no longer interested in co-stars and my agents would pitch me hard for guest stars instead.

My auditions slowed down A LOT for a couple of months, which I was warned would happen. But then, the guest star auditions started trickling in and then got pretty consistent. I went to producers a few times and then started getting sent straight to producers for certain offices.

You have to commit to making the jump and not accept anything less than what you want. It's SO hard to say no to auditions and even OFFERS(!), but for me, it paid off.

Posts: 77 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: January 19, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post