home subscribe
Backstage.com    Message Board Homepage  Hop To Forum Categories  Moderated Forums  Hop To Forums  Secret Agent Man    Latest Theatrical Agent List?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Latest Theatrical Agent List? Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Howard Talent West is the worst agent I have ever had. Bonnie is a very weird, quirky, germaphobe who's roots are always showing and very confrontational via phone. I would not want her repping my worst enemy. there #1 ranked client hasn't booked since recurring on the "Waltons" which was a show from 35 years ago. please read my review below:
http://www.yelp.com/biz/howard...fliVt9N-BSA/src:self

i respect anyone's right to disagree with me, but before attacking or trying to school me keep in mind that i wrote this review with an honest account of what happened and i am publishing it HERE for your benefit. people have good & bad experiences with agents all the time. mine was BAD. hence i wrote about it to warn others. which is a worthwhile endeavor. this review is for your benefit. enjoy.
quote:
Originally posted by TRUTHTELLER59:
quote:
Originally posted by MovieBuff066:
because some of the ones listed like Howard Talent West are not really starter agents...they want people with good credits

WRONG! Howard Talent West is very much a starter agency.

If you're gunning for ONLY theatrical with them, then yes you must be fairly established. Ms. Howard needs to make money. She can't if she takes a non established actor only theatrically who doesn't book film/tv roles regularly. Also, she's compensating for the fact that she's not that powerful solely as a theatrical agent.

Otherwise, it's a starter agency in that it's across the board or nothing. I have tons of friends who are with her across the board that have very little credits.

Actually the same deal with Howard Talent West goes for all of those "Starter Level" agencies. Steve Stevens is across the board or nothing unless you're already established. Same with Bobby Ball, Angel City, etc.

Posts: 5 | Location: Venice | Registered: June 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nicholas Cage
posted Hide Post
To counter that, I wouldn't say HTW is the worst agent I ever had but she's not the best. I've been with her for 3 years since I moved to LA and she definitely got me in the doors for some awesome series regular/guest star auditions as well as co-star parts to which I booked a good number from.

She is very confrontational and very fiery so she is certainly not everybody's cup of tea. But she's a hard-worker and while it was sad that I left her for Sovereign (yeah yeah I know, a much better agency, yes I know), she did get me to where I am today.

Posts: 350 | Location: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: January 15, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Harrison Ford
posted Hide Post
Good for you. Everyone has to start somewhere.

Secret Agent Man
Back Stage Columnist

Posts: 1036 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: April 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Secret Agent Man,

LOVE reading all your posts! Would it be possible to narrow down your agency list for kids only?

I wonder if that would change the rankings a bit. For example you have Osbrink as "a little lower" or fourth tier in your list. But I understand for kids they are one of the best?

I wonder if the same goes for AKA, Coast to Coast, CESD and Savage. And is Daniel Hoff in the same level as them? And are they all a notch lower than KSR for kids also?

Sorry, I just seem to come across so much conflicting information so it would be nice to hear from an actual agent that knows the most current information.

Your advice would be so helpful! My husband and I are just looking into submitting to agencies for our 10 year old boy and any advice you may have would be great!

Posts: 5 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: July 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The level of ADULT divisions do NOT correlate with the level of their Kid divisions!

Osbrink is one of the best for kids. Their adult theatrical division when SAM made this list wasn't very good and now is no longer in existence.

CESD actually just recently started an adult division. We'll see how that goes. They're still one of the best for commercials, kids, and vo.

Coast to Coast is strong commercially and for kids.

Daniel Hoff is strong commercially and for kids. Their adult theatrical keeps on changing agents and has yet to be near the same level as the other divisions.

Posts: 1372 | Location: LA,CA | Registered: May 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glenn Close
posted Hide Post
Kid and adult repa are very different beasts.

For example, KSR doesn't even have a kids department anymore (Phillip, Jody and Bonnie have their kids at Clear now). Savage has never repped adults, only kids.

Posts: 388 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: December 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Harrison Ford
posted Hide Post
FYI - that list I posted is ancient. I'll try to get around to a new one soon but there just aren't enough hours in the day...

Secret Agent Man
Back Stage Columnist

Posts: 1036 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: April 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone for the replies and Happy 4th of July! The info is definitely helpful.

Secret Agent Man, know it's a lot of work to redo the whole list, so would it be possible for you to just list out your Top 5 or Top 10 agencies for kids? Or at least the ones that would consider taking beginners?

Thanks a lot again!

Posts: 5 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: July 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Russell Crowe
posted Hide Post
I agree with you. ive been with bonnie a little over a yr and shes wack. ive had under 10 auditions so far with them. When i got with them, i had no credits and now i have 2 co stars and 1 indiefilm on my resume to due to my manager. when bonnie found out i had a manager she got mad. I need to get a new agent but since my manager has been sending me out alot, im not trippen but will leave her soon

quote:
Originally posted by Big Joe & the phantom 309:
Howard Talent West is the worst agent I have ever had. Bonnie is a very weird, quirky, germaphobe who's roots are always showing and very confrontational via phone. I would not want her repping my worst enemy. there #1 ranked client hasn't booked since recurring on the "Waltons" which was a show from 35 years ago. please read my review below:
http://www.yelp.com/biz/howard...fliVt9N-BSA/src:self

i respect anyone's right to disagree with me, but before attacking or trying to school me keep in mind that i wrote this review with an honest account of what happened and i am publishing it HERE for your benefit. people have good & bad experiences with agents all the time. mine was BAD. hence i wrote about it to warn others. which is a worthwhile endeavor. this review is for your benefit. enjoy.

Posts: 38 | Location: city of angels | Registered: May 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
TRUTHTELLER59, thanks for the great input! You mentioned Daniel Hoff is strong commercially and for kids. How about for theatrical? Also how would you rate Savage? Are they on the same level as Daniel Hoff, Osbrink, CESD, and Coast to Coast?

Also would these agencies be willing to only represent for theatrical and not commercial? I'm asking that in case my son gets an offer from on one of the top agencies for commercial only, and we need to find another agency for theatrical. I've read that agencies may not like to do that since they can make more money off beginner talent from commercial but wanted to get your thoughts on it.

Thanks TRUTHTELLER59!

posted Hide Post
Is it hard to get an agent if ur not SAG? and only have one credit?

Art is my life

Posts: 1 | Location: LA | Registered: November 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by babatimo:
Is it hard to get an agent if ur not SAG? and only have one credit?

If you're not young, then YES it will be harder to be Tafted theatrically. The exception is if you're in all honesty "The One" and there is no one like you already in the Union.

Commercials are a different story for you can get rafted easily.

Posts: 1372 | Location: LA,CA | Registered: May 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TRUTHTELLER59:
The level of ADULT divisions do NOT correlate with the level of their Kid divisions!

Osbrink is one of the best for kids. Their adult theatrical division when SAM made this list wasn't very good and now is no longer in existence.

CESD actually just recently started an adult division. We'll see how that goes. They're still one of the best for commercials, kids, and vo.

Coast to Coast is strong commercially and for kids.

Daniel Hoff is strong commercially and for kids. Their adult theatrical keeps on changing agents and has yet to be near the same level as the other divisions.

I look much younger for my age and could pass as a teen. Could I apply to youth departments for representation if I am an adult? Just wondering if that was an option.

Posts: 32 | Location: here and there | Registered: February 04, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
Is there a somewhat updated list anywhere to be found, 2014ish? It's about that time again... the joys of switching agencies.

Posts: 46 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: June 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Morgan Freeman
posted Hide Post
My experience with Steve Stevens of the Stevens Group is that he is WAY past his prime. I think the guy is about 80 and he prides himself on repping actors from "Giligan's Island" and the original "Star Trek". I was with him for several months and got one audition out of him. Sent him an e-mail telling him I was dropping him as my theatrical agent and he never even so much as responded. Others have had the same experience with him.

Posts: 265 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: May 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post