home subscribe
Backstage.com    Message Board Homepage  Hop To Forum Categories  Moderated Forums  Hop To Forums  Secret Agent Man    L.A. Theatrical Agency List - August 2013
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

L.A. Theatrical Agency List - August 2013 Login/Join

Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TRUTHTELLER59:
quote:
Originally posted by Henderson:

Aqua
Rogers Orion
Stevens Group
Bicoastal
Cavaleri & Associates
Nancy Chaidez Agency
Jamie Ferrar Agency

~~~bump~~~

Did someone generate a list of starter agencies that could be added to this?

These are considered starter level

^^^^^Thanks for the list. So since im moving in january, should i wait till im physically there to submit?

Posts: 60 | Location: Midwest | Registered: October 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nicholas Cage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HC III:
quote:
Originally posted by TRUTHTELLER59:
quote:
Originally posted by Henderson:

Aqua
Rogers Orion
Stevens Group
Bicoastal
Cavaleri & Associates
Nancy Chaidez Agency
Jamie Ferrar Agency

~~~bump~~~

Did someone generate a list of starter agencies that could be added to this?

These are considered starter level

^^^^^Thanks for the list. So since im moving in january, should i wait till im physically there to submit?

Yes, you need to actually be here for agents to take you seriously

Posts: 343 | Location: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: January 15, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree with what somebody said on page 1 about Stevens Group. At this point, it seems like he's just waiting to retire and the passion has been lost. I was with him for a year and while he was nice and I feel he meant well, he said all he does is just hit "submit" online and that nobody will take pitch calls anymore. He kinda seemed like the business has passed him by and he's longing for the old days. I wouldn't be surprised to hear he's retired any day now. That was my impression. I left on good terms.

Posts: 2 | Location: Hollywood | Registered: September 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dude Teehee. I just wanted to give you a heads up. He wasn't being a jerk, but you have to realize, you are new to the boards, nobody knows you from dick to jane, and you are not only giving the hard info that you have, you are also throwing in connotations and in this particular instance, a negative one.

That's the primary issue. And to be honest, I appreciated your information, right up until you said they sound like they are going south. Reason being? What if I am repped by them? "I'm not". What if I am on the fence to sign with them, and simply because you decided to say they are going under, I choose not to sign and lose out on a good opportunity?

The point is, you are new around here and you haven't earned the stripes necessary to throw around a comment like that with any kind of authority. I know you meant no harm but see it that way and hopefully it helps you understand.

I'm new to posting as well...been reading for years though lol.

Posts: 14 | Location: Burbank, Ca | Registered: January 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
To HCIII-no you should submit in December and say you are relocating in January because Dec. is the slow month and best time for submissions. You are most likely not to get overlooked. Hopefully you are coming early January which will be better for meetings. The later the busier they will be.

Posts: 57 | Location: Virgin Islands | Registered: July 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nicholas Cage
posted Hide Post
HCIII - Why not move in January, get settled in, learn your way around town, get new headshots, take an audition class, try to do some thesis projects and ulbs while everybody else is busy with pilot season and THEN worry about submitting to agents when they are on hiatus and actively looking for new talent in April and May if you can't scrounge up a referral by then?

Posts: 223 | Location: Hollywood Hills | Registered: September 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
I was thinking of actually waiting till may. I would have more than enough funds to be starting out and can build a stronger resume. Although whose to say I won't have money like that in January tho. I really like your response gyokoren!

Posts: 60 | Location: Midwest | Registered: October 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I realize Bobby Ball is on the list, but I just wanted to ask - theatrically, are they good? Anyone with them? I was wondering how often any clients go out. I've never had a theatrical agent- endlessly searching- their the first to respond to me, so I'm excited, but I'm also pacing myself- just in case I should wait for something else, like Media Artists group? Just asking. Bobby Ball- good theatrically? Thank you so much.

Posts: 2 | Location: l.a. | Registered: September 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Kevin Bacon
posted Hide Post
Well, this list of agencies is based on their theatrical department, so I would assume they're pretty good. Or else SAM wouldn't have listed it in the first place.

This isn't a hard and fast rule though. An agency with a solid reputation still won't get you out much if they're not passionate about you.

Posts: 13 | Location: Hollywood, CA | Registered: February 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Kevin Bacon
posted Hide Post
Can someone put up a list of the best youth agencies preferably better theatrically?

Posts: 8 | Location: los angeles | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Kevin Bacon
posted Hide Post
also around teenage

Posts: 8 | Location: los angeles | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
Where does Brady, Brannon and Rich (BBR) fit on this list? I have 4 friends signed with this agency and only 1 is AEA.

Posts: 52 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: December 15, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry for resurrecting this thread! Just looking for advice for someone coming fresh out of a BFA program...I've got a laundry list of theatre credits from school that's also associated with a major regional theater in the States as well as the Globe theater in London. And I've gotten some good response from my recent auditions with some respected repertory/shakespeare companies around the country (what I'm trying to say is I'm not the greenest of young 20somethings asking for help on the forums lol).

I'm pretty intent on moving back home to SoCal next month and working on getting on Film/TV instead of aiming to work in regional theatre, but I've got very little film/tv experience...nothing I'd willingly put on my acting resume. So my question is, who should I aim for as I begin to submit? Which of these agencies (probably tier 3-5?) respect classically trained theater kids? I'm a fairly good type--ethnic female. And most working actresses of my ethnicity/look I'm aware of have little training as actors, which I feel (correct me if I'm wrong) might give me a leg up on getting noticed when I get to LA.

Should I wait to submit and first worry about getting some student films under my belt and maybe taking a few LA classes? My plans within the next year are to get my butt to Lesly Kahn and the Groundlings...and probably an on camera class. Brett Rickaby is visiting my school this weekend to do a workshop with us, and so far I've enjoyed his style of teaching and may look into taking his on camera scene study class at some point. I know it may not be a known school, but Brett himself definitely works a lot as an actor so I'd trust taking class with him.

I've been told that asking for referrals probably is the easiest and best way, but my friends with agents are newly signed and don't have enough clout to feel comfortable referring me or they're with much bigger agencies that I personally wouldn't feel comfortable working with them should they be interested in me since I'm just so new to the LA game and would need time to wade through the waters before trying to hit up the big guys.

Posts: 1 | Location: CA | Registered: April 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nicholas Cage
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the world of the overtrained and undervalued! Seriously. Nobody cares if your BFA isn't from Juilliard or if you don't make everybody smell money at a showcase which you sadly do not get the opportunity to do if you are about to graduate from the school I am thinking. Brrrrrr, right? But that can be gotten around. It just takes a minute. Or more like six months to a year if you are really marketable AND bookable which usually takes a little more work.

First things first. Are you SAG-AFTRA eligible? If not, you might want to hold off on seeking theatrical rep until you are because the best you will be likely to get will be a starter agent that can't do you much good. I never see girls who are repped by those places at auditions for guest stars and up.

Decent commercial rep on the other hand might be more accessible so get thee to the Groundlings or one of the other well known improv places to revisit your freshman level theatre games stat because they will want to see it on your resume. A commercial auditioning class would be a good idea, too.

Here is a thread where I gave my stock spiel to a USC senior last August that I will also bump for you. http://bbs.backstage.com/group...=664105354#664105354

P.S. Some changes since SAM made this list are that Strain is no more thanks to Mr. Strain getting busted for stealing from clients, Gage Group merged with Bauman-Redanty & Shaul and is now BRS/Gage Talent Agency, Ilene Feldman closed IFA to become a manager and her associates are now at Paradigm, and KSR is now KMR since Mark Measures left Abrams to become a partner.

Posts: 223 | Location: Hollywood Hills | Registered: September 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here it is with Gyokoren's info and some more edits.

CAA
WME
UTA
ICM Partners
Resolution

Gersh
Paradigm
APA
Innovative

Talentworks
Abrams Artists
Buchwald
SMS
Stone Manners
Greene and Associates
Kohner
KMR
Domain
Momentum

AKA
Amsel, Eisenstadt, Frazier & Hinojosa
BRS/Gage Group
Chasin
David Shapira
House of Representatives
Glick
Global Artists
GVA
Metropolitan
Pakula King
Pantheon
Rebel
Sovereign

Angel City
Aqua
Avalon
Bobby Ball
Culbertson Group
Daniel Hoff
Defining Artists
Clear Talent Group
Coast to Coast
Connor Ankrum
Corsa Agency
Ellis Talent Group
Hervey Grimes
Mavrick Artists Agency
Media Artists Group
Origin
Progressive
Rogers Orion
Savage

Bicoastal
Cavaleri & Associates
Jamie Ferrar Agency

Additional Changes include:
-CESD added an adult theatrical division a year ago. There's been no signs of it being as great as its commercial, VO, and youth divisions.
-Osbrink hasn't had an adult theatrical division since 2009
-Steve Stevens is a has-been. He did represent some big shots during the 60s, 70s, and 80s. But he has lost his sizzle and has become one of those agents that people get with starting out and immediately drop.
-Baron Entertainment has ruined it's reputation with LA Casting, Casting Frontier, and Breakdown Services when Rod tried to create a competing company a year or two ago.
-Nancy Chaidez passed away recently.
-Clear Talent Group should be on the list. There's no way that it's lower than the lowest tier.
-Amsel, Eisenstadt, Frazier, AND Hinojosa. Long time Commercial agent Gloria Hinojosa has been added to the name.

Posts: 1349 | Location: LA,CA | Registered: May 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post