home subscribe
Backstage.com    Message Board Homepage  Hop To Forum Categories  The Craft  Hop To Forums  Voice and Singing    Voice over class recommendations??
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Voice over class recommendations?? Login/Join

Kevin Bacon
Picture of can8ian
posted
I'm looking to take some voice over classes and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations? A voice over agent friend of mine suggested I check out voiceoverresource.com, but there are literally so many contacts on the site that it's tough to know where to begin. Advice on where to go for a demo would be hugely appreciated too. Cheers

"Acting is all about honesty. If you can fake that, you've got it made." George Burns

Posts: 5 | Location: santa monica | Registered: December 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi! I am a voice actor and voice over teacher with more than 10 years' experience. I am based in Atlanta and Brooklyn, NY, but I also teach via Skype - I have students in Dubai, London and Delhi, so distance is no obstacle. Also, my one-on-one lessons via Skype/iChat are far less expensive than any you'd find in LA, and are, of course, private. No other students.

I teach:

• Mic techniques
• Tricks for creating characters particular to advertising agency archetypes
• Acting techniques
• How to add or diminish an accent
• How to mark and interpret scripts so you can ACE auditions and ** get the job **
• What your unique strengths are as a voiceover actor, so you can most effectively market yourself

I tailor lessons to you individually, and also will coach you through your first audition tape. I also do top-quality demos, for a fraction of what studios charge. For more info you can email me at lulumary123@yahoo.com. Cheers! Marilyn

Posts: 1 | Location: Atlanta, GA and Brooklyn, NY | Registered: January 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I went to William Williams at Aliso Creek Voice Over Classes in Burbank. He is a great teacher and his style is very laid back but you learn a lot of technique that is specific to voice acting. He has animation classes and commercial classes. I took both but I'd start with the commercial class because it's more practical.

It's taught in a studio so you get the experience of being on mic and hearing your playback. And the class size is small-usually 4 or 5 people so you get to perform a lot. You can meet with William for free to discuss where you are at and what your goals are. Call them at 818-954-9931 or check at the web page at Aliso Creek Voice Over Classes There are also a bunch of great articles in the FAQ section to answer questions about this part of the industry.

I hope this helps! Chuck

Posts: 1 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: February 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey Actors,

I'm a Voice Over Coach, a casting director and was just asked by a bi-coastal management company to spearhead their voice over division.

My classes are unlike any other. They are held in a penthouse recording studio in NYC. I coach on your acting and technical skills while you're in the booth during class. Learn from others as well. Keep your recordings from class.

If you can handle surprise auditions, they happen occasionally. In my Feb. 11th class I offered a surprise audition that was only being offered to my students in class that day. One of them booked a radio commercial that will be playing in the midwest all next month.

Any questions, student sample work, anything you'd want to know is offered here: www.NycVoCoach.com

There are 3 spots left in my class this Saturday. It will sell out. I hope to hear you soon! Smiler

Posts: 1 | Location: NYC | Registered: March 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In Los Angeles the best classes are at Aliso Creek Studios. The key is that the classes are small so you get a lot of microphone time. And they really teach you the technique required. It's not like you read copy and the give you notes. The copy is chosen to highlight certain techniques so if you nail it you know you've learned that. They offer a free consultation so call them and go in and talk to them. Here's the sites (with lots of information by the way!) Aliso Creek Voice Over Classes

Jennifer

Posts: 2 | Location: Hollywood | Registered: February 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post