home subscribe
Backstage.com    Message Board Homepage  Hop To Forum Categories  Big Picture  Hop To Forums  Top Five Lists    Top 5 Overated Actors/Actresses
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Top 5 Overated Actors/Actresses Login/Join

Morgan Freeman
posted Hide Post
This is another i came up with Denzel washington .(yes i said it )

Posts: 127 | Location: Boston | Registered: March 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Marlon Brando
Picture of TRUTHTELLER59
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JLine:
This is another i came up with Denzel washington .(yes i said it )

I'm sorry not every great actor can be an extreme character actor like Brando, Daniel Day Lewis, Christian Bale, or Meryl Streep.

Would your "playing himself" argument make people who are considered by many the greatest actors of all time like Cary Grant, Spencer Tracy, Humphrey Bogart, and Clark Gable overrated? They were pretty much themselves in everything they did. But unlike Tom Cruise, who is "what will Tom Cruise do next? Be a bar tender, wave a samurai sword around, wear an eyepatch and pretend to be a Nazi, etc." you believed Cary Grant, Spencer Tracy, Humphrey Bogart, and Clark Gable in whatever role they did.

Denzel is pretty much that way. He knows himself well and yet I've ALWAYS believed him as an uneducated slave, a crooked cop, a good dad, or a rogue agent.

Another person who's "plays himself" yet is still genius is Christopher Walken. There's a reason why he's one of the most impersonated actors. I remember when I first saw James Bond's "A View to a Kill." When I read the summary, it said that the villain was a Jewish WWII Nazi death camp survivor trained by the KGB. So I was expecting Christopher Walken to have some heavy Eastern European accent, but to my suprise, HE WAS HIMSELF! It was STILL genius!

So NO, being an extreme character does NOT always equate to great acting.

Posts: 2157 | Location: LA,CA | Registered: May 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Morgan Freeman
posted Hide Post
^eh?.all i said was denzel washington was overrated .never said anything about any character actor's .it wasn't in my focus when i posted up about denzel being overrated.i just think he's overrated .
i wasn't saying the man was a bad actor .just simply said he was overrated .said nothing about extreme character actor's .denzel has done character roles before .they were good .i see where your getting at though.

The playing yourself was more about .the actor's actually becoming the character's they play.Instead of just playing themselves.After all,isn't that what acting is becoming someone your not ?????..the point i was trying to make with the "playing yourself " thing was just that.
Denzel is a good actor very believeable yet ,overrated Hence the topic of this thread

Posts: 127 | Location: Boston | Registered: March 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Marlon Brando
Picture of TRUTHTELLER59
posted Hide Post
You said Denzel was overrated before in this thread because he "plays himself" and I know how big you are about extreme character actors like Brando.

Posts: 2157 | Location: LA,CA | Registered: May 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Morgan Freeman
posted Hide Post
there are just character actors you were to use extreme in terms of acting i'd say it would be best used in the technique .like what christian bale does in the machinist loses all that weight .he is playing a character.Not and altered version of himself .that's what real acting is .it doesn't involve you .your just manifesting the characteristics of a individual using your body..but its not you who's playing that person

Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
One thing not mentioned. Ask any person who likes going to movies or watches TV and ask them who is overrated. I bet you the answers would be different from the lists in this thread, and only because of this one thing; When civilians go to see a Tom Cruise movie, they don't care if he can act. All they know is they like seeing him in films. I would imagine that this one idea is what keeps the movie going public paying to see the films of the aforementioned overrated actors. As to overrated actors in general, I agree with everyone's top 5 here. As a matter of fact I don't think I could limit my choices to 5 because so many of the actors getting top dollar only put one face towards the camera, since that IS why they were hired. No one wants to see Robert Pattinson ACTING, they want a version of his character from the twilight film franchise.

One more thing: I believe the reason overrated actors keep getting top dollar is their agents know that they can continue to sell their clients to the producers of these films because the movie going public likes them on film.

Is Robert Pattinson overrated? Probably, but go and ask a few of the tweens that loved seeing Stewart and Pattinson together and they will probably tell you you're just jealous.

P.S. Another thing about civilians liking what they see is that they don't care if reality shows are the worst form of TV ever made, they only know that when they watch, they are entertained. You don't hear actors talking much about entertainment value of the projects they are involved with. But I think it is an important topic. Where is the sense in making an art film that not many people will go see?

Posts: 17 | Location: Northern NJ (close to NYC) | Registered: July 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Morgan Freeman
posted Hide Post
^good point .i gave my list of people pertaining to this particular thread .when i named the people i named .i wasn't putting them down because their doing their thing. also its obvious whatever type actor they are their making it work to their benefit .i guess that's what's good about editing you can just look good and be half way decent and editing will take care of the rest .

overrated as well as underrated is part of the culture .art films come with sophistication which these days not many of the newer generations take into account . :/ hence the reason for reality t.v i seen a preview for a movie called "project X " which is mirror of a reality based t.v show like real world.its what they want so its given to them

Nicholas Cage
posted Hide Post
I don't like these at all.

Why?

I don't judge or laugh at other people. Nobody is perfect.

We are all perfect who we are because we all have a choice to grow and learn from what we do. If you don't do that. Well you got to live with yourself.

-----

The Disciple that Jesus loves! (ME!)
----
Your closer to your success than you think!
----
www.imdb.me/marytennant
www.mary-tennant.com

Posts: 135 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: December 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Denzel Washington
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MaryTennant:
I don't like these at all.

Why?

I don't judge or laugh at other people. Nobody is perfect.

We are all perfect who we are because we all have a choice to grow and learn from what we do. If you don't do that. Well you got to live with yourself.

Then don't come to the thread.

Posts: 86 | Location: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Russell Crowe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mystique:
Also

6. Robert Pattinson (I don't think he's as attractive as people are saying, he looks like Frankenstein to me. In some angles he looks like a monster to me). That name doesn't even sound like a celebrity name, but like some average guy lost in my yearbook.

I am just talking about his looks, since I haven't watch him yet. Twilight was never a high interest for me.

I can't help but notice that you list actors based on their "lack" of good looks and not lack of acting ability?!

With that said, I'm not a fan of the Twilight movies or the actors in it either, but still.

Posts: 80 | Location: New York | Registered: April 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sean Penn
Picture of It'sRainingGlitter!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by runningman23:
One thing not mentioned. Ask any person who likes going to movies or watches TV and ask them who is overrated. I bet you the answers would be different from the lists in this thread, and only because of this one thing; When civilians go to see a Tom Cruise movie, they don't care if he can act. All they know is they like seeing him in films. I would imagine that this one idea is what keeps the movie going public paying to see the films of the aforementioned overrated actors. As to overrated actors in general, I agree with everyone's top 5 here. As a matter of fact I don't think I could limit my choices to 5 because so many of the actors getting top dollar only put one face towards the camera, since that IS why they were hired. No one wants to see Robert Pattinson ACTING, they want a version of his character from the twilight film franchise.

One more thing: I believe the reason overrated actors keep getting top dollar is their agents know that they can continue to sell their clients to the producers of these films because the movie going public likes them on film.

Is Robert Pattinson overrated? Probably, but go and ask a few of the tweens that loved seeing Stewart and Pattinson together and they will probably tell you you're just jealous.

P.S. Another thing about civilians liking what they see is that they don't care if reality shows are the worst form of TV ever made, they only know that when they watch, they are entertained. You don't hear actors talking much about entertainment value of the projects they are involved with. But I think it is an important topic. Where is the sense in making an art film that not many people will go see?

You make a very interesting and valid point. It's always important to note how differently we actors are in terms of criticism of other actors. It's because we act so we all have our own notions of what we think talent is and what is over rated etc.

I will stick up for Keanu though Smiler He might not be considered a good actor (which is why I would say I don't think he's overrated because I don't know of anybody in terms of audience goers, we can exclude producers/directors and such, that ever really "rated" him to begin with. I'm not a fan of his acting style, but I like him because it's well known that he gets parts because he is good to work with. And maybe that's my inner insecurities showing through, but I kind of like the fact that being good to work with can be appreciated and rewarded. Just my thoughts.
Anyway here's my list: (in no particular order)
Kristin Stewart
Cameron Diaz
Hayden Pannatier (I have no clue how to spell that, spell check tried to correct it to "Pantyliner" but she drives me INSANE)
Ryan Gosling
Ryan Reynolds

I had one who I wanted to be on there but I can't think of her name right now which is stupid because I definitely know it, but whats-her-face from Bring it On.... Mary Jane from Spider man. Name is escaping me lol.

"It's almost more fun that way, when you've got something to prove" -Taylor Swift

Posts: 30 | Location: Spokane | Registered: May 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1. Kirsten Stewart(has she ever taken an acting class?)
2. Will Farrell(ugh, can't stand his movies)
3. Beyonce(horrible actress)
4. Jennifer Lopez(hmm..variety? no)
5. Mariah Carey(not a single movie worth watching)

"Strive for perfection, settle for your best."

Posts: 7 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: September 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by It'sRainingGlitter!:
quote:
Originally posted by runningman23:

You make a very interesting and valid point. It's always important to note how differently we actors are in terms of criticism of other actors. It's because we act so we all have our own notions of what we think talent is and what is over rated etc.

I will stick up for Keanu though Smiler He might not be considered a good actor (which is why I would say I don't think he's overrated because I don't know of anybody in terms of audience goers, we can exclude producers/directors and such, that ever really "rated" him to begin with. I'm not a fan of his acting style, but I like him because it's well known that he gets parts because he is good to work with. And maybe that's my inner insecurities showing through, but I kind of like the fact that being good to work with can be appreciated and rewarded. Just my thoughts.
Anyway here's my list: (in no particular order)
Kristin Stewart
Cameron Diaz
Hayden Pannatier (I have no clue how to spell that, spell check tried to correct it to "Pantyliner" but she drives me INSANE)
Ryan Gosling
Ryan Reynolds

I had one who I wanted to be on there but I can't think of her name right now which is stupid because I definitely know it, but whats-her-face from Bring it On.... Mary Jane from Spider man. Name is escaping me lol.

your thinking of Kirsten Dunst.

"Strive for perfection, settle for your best."

Posts: 7 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: September 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Russell Crowe
posted Hide Post
Re Denzel: Generally I'm indifferent to him, but his performance in Flight was my favorite of the year. It was understated yet powerful and completely gut-wrenching. I have a theory that the naturalistic actors are more talented than the over the top method ones because the former can get into character at ACTION while the latter has to go to extremes (isolation, gaining and losing large amounts of weight, etc) for the same result. I've loved Christian Bale since I was 13, but is there a person alive who thinks his weight loss for The Machinist was necessary? If anything it was distracting.

Posts: 31 | Location: Sherman Oaks | Registered: August 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Morgan Freeman
posted Hide Post
I agree that christian bale went way to far for his role in the machinist .It almost doesnt make any sense it didnt really add nothing to the role or the story.The thing is too with christian bale he's such a good actor.There is no need for him to have gone that far with it.It was a great film though for sure.Christian bale kind of reminds me of sean penn;who i think is really overrated.Denzel's a good actor and all but hes overrated same with his movies.Flight was a good movie despite the fact that addiction themed movies have been done to death;just like remakes.At this point its typical denzel you already know what to expect with him.