home subscribe
Backstage.com    Message Board Homepage  Hop To Forum Categories  Big Picture  Hop To Forums  Top Five Lists    Top 10 best books on acting
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Top 10 best books on acting Login/Join

Kevin Bacon
posted
In your opinion, what are your top 10 favorite and useful books on acting?

Posts: 5 | Location: Chicago | Registered: March 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Kevin Bacon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peanut:
In your opinion, what are your top 10 favorite and useful books on acting?

Top 5... sorry!

Posts: 5 | Location: Chicago | Registered: March 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sean Penn
Picture of It'sRainingGlitter!
posted Hide Post
I don't own enough to be able to pick very selectively for 5 of them, but my favorites so far have been
How to get the pat without falling apart
and
The everything acting LA guide book (I'm not sure of the exact title the book is still in a box somewhere from my last move)

"It's almost more fun that way, when you've got something to prove" -Taylor Swift

Posts: 29 | Location: Spokane | Registered: May 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jon Jory's Tips For Actors and Tips for Actors 2. I have worked with him and he is amazing as a director and these books are great.

Posts: 1 | Location: Orange County | Registered: November 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Johnny Depp
Picture of cruxbeta
posted Hide Post
A few books that have helped me:

-A Practical Handbook For The Actor
-The Intent To Live
-Sanford Meisner on Acting
-Self Management For Actors
-Acting Is Everything

Posts: 21 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: August 17, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cruxbeta:

I will vouch for this. Fantastic book.

Posts: 3 | Location: USA | Registered: November 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Marlon Brando
Picture of TRUTHTELLER59
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Derrick:
quote:

Actor's Art and Craft by William Esper is a HELL LOT better!

Posts: 2133 | Location: LA,CA | Registered: May 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Kevin Bacon
posted Hide Post
Act Smart!: Five non-acting books every actor should read
I know, I know, there are only so many hours in a day, and I’m suggesting you spend one of them with your nose in a book that has nothing to do with acting?

Well, yes. Because if you’re not constantly improving your mind along with your instrument, it’s going to get slack, dull and inflexible. And what kind of artist can work with a slack, dull, inflexible brain? (Okay, don’t answer, I’ve seen them, too. You don’t want to be them; you want to be awesome.)

Read on (ha!) as I share the books you should get cracking on now, to keep you at your sharpest.

1. The Creative Habit, by Twyla Tharp

2. The Great Gatsby, by F. Scott Fitzgerald

3. Ignore Everybody (And 39 Other Keys to Creativity), by Hugh MacLeod

4. Trust Agents: Using the Web to Build Influence, Improve Relationships, and Earn Trust, by Chris Brogan and Julien Smith

5. The Power of Less, by Leo Babauta

Posts: 25 | Location: new york city | Registered: October 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Johnny Depp
Picture of cruxbeta
posted Hide Post
A few more awesome books:
-An Agent Tells All by Tony Martinez (Amazon e-book edition)
-The Actor Takes A Meeting by Stephen Book
-How To Get The Part Without Falling Apart by Margie Haber
-Acting Qs by Bonnie Gillespie
-An Actor Prepares by Stanislavski

Posts: 21 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: August 17, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Kevin Bacon
posted Hide Post
Acting Class: Take a Seat by Milton Katselas

An Actor Prepares by Elizabeth Reynolds Hapgood

Dreams into Action: Getting What You Want! by Milton Katselas

Respect for Acting by Uta Hagen

The Fervent Years: The Group Theatre And The Thirties (Da Capo Paperback) by Harold Clurman

Posts: 25 | Location: new york city | Registered: October 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hilary Swank
posted Hide Post
"Acting the first Six lessons"
http://www.scribd.com/doc/1313...-Richard-Boleslavsky

ActorinLa.com

Posts: 243 | Location: Hollywood | Registered: March 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Russell Crowe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TRUTHTELLER59:
quote:
Originally posted by Derrick:
quote:

Actor's Art and Craft by William Esper is a HELL LOT better!

I agree that Esper's book is a clearer exposition of the first year of Meisner training than the Meisner book. They both piss me off, however, because they only cover the first year and too many people think that is all there is to the technique. There are even acting teachers around that claim to teach it who didn't even get invited into the second year or worse only read the books. There is a series of books by Larry Silverberg called THE SANFORD MEISNER APPROACH that lay out the whole thing that I have heard are pretty good but I can't recommend them since I haven't read them. I just studied it with a qualified teacher. haha

Other good books:

The Actor and the Target - Declan Donnellan

Actions: The Actors' Thesaurus - Marina Caldarone

A Screen Acting Workshop - Mel Churcher

Secrets of Screen Acting - Patrick Tucker

Towards a Poor Theatre - Jerzy Grotowski

Posts: 153 | Location: Hollywood Hills | Registered: September 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post